Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:37 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
That seems pretty competitive to me. And this is merely the beginning. Why drill for more oil, when we know that solar is going to be a better, less pollutive, and more stable technology, not just in the long run but in the medium run?

I agree about in the long and medium run, but its the short run we should be concerned about.

I 100% agree that solar, nuclear, wind and other alternative fuels are required, the problem I have is that until those are developed AND made economically feasible we still need oil.

The best analogy I can come up is a bathtub.
We need to find other ways to fill it besides a faucet, but until we do find and develop those ways we still need to use the faucet.
We are emptying the bathtub, and no matter how slowly you empty it, unless you fill it up it will eventually be empty.

For the short term, we need to develop AND exploit domestic sources of oil, in ANWR, oil shale, offshore, or anyplace else in US territory we can find oil.

I would be in favor of capping every well in the US, once alternative sources become economically viable.
I dont see that happening in the next few years though.

Well, we need the oil for a lot of reasons which have nothing to do with energy production.

If you started developing domestic solar plants, instead of drilling new oil wells, you would see a huge amount of innovation and increase in the utility of solar technology. ANWR or places like that take what, a decade to get up to speed? Solar technology today is way ahead of where it was a decade ago, with much greater focus being put on it and much more money spent on it; it's sort of crazy not to think that in another decade or two, it won't be far, far more efficient then oil.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:41 pm
Quote:
Well, we need the oil for a lot of reasons which have nothing to do with energy production.

If you started developing domestic solar plants, instead of drilling new oil wells, you would see a huge amount of innovation and increase in the utility of solar technology. ANWR or places like that take what, a decade to get up to speed? Solar technology today is way ahead of where it was a decade ago, with much greater focus being put on it and much more money spent on it; it's sort of crazy not to think that in another decade or two, it won't be far, far more efficient then oil.

I 100% agree, but its that "another decade or two" that I am concerned with.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:43 pm
I hope solar panels can soon be produced using the energy supplied by solar panels?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
old europe wrote:

Well, no conclusions have been drawn so far. However, this is the third in a series of studies that rendered similar results. It's also conclusive with British studies from 1987 and 1989 that showed a statistically significant increased risk for children of developing leukemia if they were living within a 10 miles radius of nuclear power plants in England and Wales.

The current study covers a period of 23 years (1980-2003). The study included all 16 counties where the 22 German nuclear power plants are located. All cases of children up to 5 years who were living in the regions around the nuclear power plants and who were diagnosed with cancer within that time period were included (1,592 cases in total), as well as 4,735 controls.

For each case of cancer, controls (children of same sex and age as those diagnosed with cancer) were randomly chosen via registration offices. Distance of residence relative to the nuclear power plant was then determined with an accuracy of 25 meters for all 6,327 children.

The study was tested by computing the results, dropping one of the 16 locations each round to check against increased risk for only one specific location. No influence on the results was noticed, though. In a follow-up test, the inner 5km perimeter was omitted. However, it still rendered an increasing trend of leukemia cases relative to the distance from a nuclear power plants.

Radiation is easily and cheaply measured. Though I haven't read the reports, I believe the summary above indicated that no abnormal radiation exposures were discovered. If so that more or less eliminates radiation as the cause. (Note that there is no known correlation of higher incidences of lukemia among children in regions of high altitude (say above 1,500m) where natural radiation levels are far higher than the levels within the nuclear plants themselves.)

I don't know how many plant sites are involved or what other factors might be present at them. It seems to me that, if the results are indeed statistically meaningful as you claim, then there should be other identifiable factors that are available for analysis.

Frankly I suspect the science here.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:50 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
old europe wrote:

Well, no conclusions have been drawn so far. However, this is the third in a series of studies that rendered similar results. It's also conclusive with British studies from 1987 and 1989 that showed a statistically significant increased risk for children of developing leukemia if they were living within a 10 miles radius of nuclear power plants in England and Wales.

The current study covers a period of 23 years (1980-2003). The study included all 16 counties where the 22 German nuclear power plants are located. All cases of children up to 5 years who were living in the regions around the nuclear power plants and who were diagnosed with cancer within that time period were included (1,592 cases in total), as well as 4,735 controls.

For each case of cancer, controls (children of same sex and age as those diagnosed with cancer) were randomly chosen via registration offices. Distance of residence relative to the nuclear power plant was then determined with an accuracy of 25 meters for all 6,327 children.

The study was tested by computing the results, dropping one of the 16 locations each round to check against increased risk for only one specific location. No influence on the results was noticed, though. In a follow-up test, the inner 5km perimeter was omitted. However, it still rendered an increasing trend of leukemia cases relative to the distance from a nuclear power plants.

Radiation is easily and cheaply measured. Though I haven't read the reports, I believe the summary above indicated that no abnormal radiation exposures were discovered. If so that more or less eliminates radiation as the cause. (Note that there is no known correlation of higher incidences of leukemia among children in regions of high altitude (say above 1,500m) where natural radiation levels are far higher than the levels within the nuclear plants themselves.)

I don't know how many plant sites are involved or what other factors might be present at them. It seems to me that, if the results are indeed statistically meaningful as you claim, then there should be other identifiable factors that are available for analysis.

I would be interested in knowing what the leukemia rates are for members of the USN that live and work within 100 to 400 feet of nuclear power plants.
As far as I know, the rate is low enough to be almost nonexistent.
I spent 2 years within 100 feet of a nuclear power plant onboard a nuclear submarine, and I know I got less radiation from that then I did from a typical day at the beach.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:50 pm
Also, I hope solar panels do not produce toxic radiations to people using or manufacturing them.

Some of the electric power produced by solar panels will have to be storable in large fly wheel mechanisms or in large batteries for use at night and other low solar radiation times.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:57 pm
mysteryman wrote:

I would be interested in knowing what the leukemia rates are for members of the USN that live and work within 100 to 400 feet of nuclear power plants.
As far as I know, the rate is low enough to be almost nonexistent.
I spent 2 years within 100 feet of a nuclear power plant onboard a nuclear submarine, and I know I got less radiation from that then I did from a typical day at the beach.

Small children are assumed to be more susceptible to such exposures than adults. However your point is valid, particularly given the large numbers involved and the long duration of the Navy's nuclear operations.

If you were on a Boomer (which spends all of its time submerged) then you and nearly everyone on the boat got less radiation than those in the alternate crew ashore during the same period. They were exposed to natural solar radiation and your exposure to it was shielded by the sea above you.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:03 pm
Actually, I served on a "fast-attack" boat, the USS Hammerhead (SSN-663).
Judging by your words, I assume I dont have to explain what a "fast attack" boat is?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
I was CO of a CVN
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:37 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I was CO of a CVN

Thats what we called a LGT...Large Grey Target LOL
Which birdfarm were you CO on?

And should I start singing..."up in the air junior birdman"? LOL
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:38 pm
mysteryman wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
I was CO of a CVN

I never met a submariner that I really Liked.

Carl Vinson
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:40 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
I was CO of a CVN

I never met a submariner that I really Liked.

Carl Vinson

At least you can take a joke,unlike most CVN sailors I knew.
My Brother-in-Law serves aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, he is an aviation ordnanceman.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:46 pm
Waddya mean ! It's the sub pukes who had no sense of humor -- all VERY serious. Aviators were all light hearted, cool and good-looking.

When they retired the F-14, the last of the aircraft I flew departed the scene. Soon the ships will go too. I am a triple centurion (300+ carrier landings) on Kennedy, which I believe has been decommissioned, and on Constellation; and a double centurion on Nimitz. Carl Vinson will be around for another 20 years or so. Tempis fugit.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Waddya mean ! It's the sub pukes who had no sense of humor -- all VERY serious. Aviators were all light hearted, cool and good-looking.

When they retired the F-14, the last of the aircraft I flew departed the scene. Soon the ships will go too. I am a triple centurion (300+ carrier landings) on Kennedy, which I believe has been decommissioned, and on Constellation; and a double centurion on Nimitz. Carl Vinson will be around for another 20 years or so. Tempis fugit.

Impressive. I love the F-14. It's why I wanted to make planes in the first place.

T
K
O
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:24 pm
Quote:

I klnow...Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" was the epitome of fighter pilots, right?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:30 pm
Goose died in a flat spin.

T
K
O
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:37 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Isnt the F-14 still used by many countries though?

FYI...

According to wikipedia

Quote:
Kennedy held her decommissioning ceremony on March 23, 2007 at Mayport, FL. 18 months short of 40 years service in the United States Navy. She was officially decommissioned on August 1, 2007 [1] leaving the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) as the only conventionally-powered carrier left in the US Navy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:45 pm
mysteryman wrote:
[
I klnow...Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" was the epitome of fighter pilots, right?

He represented a certain type found among the first tour guys, but most rapidly outgrew that. After a few cruises everyone in the squadron had seen everyone else "out of airspeed and ideas, and scared shitless" as we would say. That tended to moderate things a bit.

The F-14 did have a flat spin problem and the distance between the cockpit and the center of gravity of that long aircraft put some strange stresses on the pilot during a spin, sometimes making control input difficult.

I believe Iran still operates about 70 F-14s they inherited from the Shah. You may recall the supposed missile deal in which Ollie North sold them some obsolete Phoenix missiles at exorbitant prices and used the profits to fund the Contras in Nicaragua. The missiles could NEVER have been effectively used against us, but the Iranians didn't know that. (And it generated a lot of cynical posturing by politicians who knew better, but who preferred making their political points to the truth.)

The USS John F Kennedy had a relatively short life for an aircraft carrier. Kitty Hawk is still around only because we have long kept a carrier group homeported in Japan and they won't permit a nuclear powered vessel to be homeported there. Otherwise, the economies of nuclear power and the huge operational advantage of the nuclear powerplant over a conventional one, simply leave the conventional ships to far behind to be worth keeping.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:20 am
Before I start telling stories about minesweepers, LCM's and collecting up divers in "some remote regions" ...

georgeob1 wrote:

As did others, even those who made the survey.But until know, no-one found the 'why' ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:51 am
Meanwhile, today the European Commission proposes CO2 fine on carmakers

Quote:
Carmakers that fail to meet carbon dioxide (CO2) emission limits by 2012 will face fines, the European Commission has proposed.
Penalties will start in 2012 at 20 euros ($28.80; £14.35) per gram of carbon dioxide over a target, and will grow to 95 euros in 2015.

... ... ...

The plan, which needs the backing of EU governments, would put the burden on producers of larger and heavier cars to meet new binding emission limits.

All carmakers that sell vehicles in the 27-nation bloc would face fines if they exceed targets.
0 Replies