Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:34 pm
But even then there would be a Gibbon in some shack or other.

A bit like in Canticle For Liebwitz(?) which I felt Mr Jones (?) got fed up with and departed with the fire and brimstone trick so beloved of those who get into a tangle with a book. I loved the idea though. How witty to make the Holy Grail an electrician's toolbox.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:50 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
By the way, how come the Antarctic is growing ice?

Let's see.. you have a continent that probably averages temperatures of -40c and then you warm it up by .78 degrees.

Hmm.. I wonder why the ice isn't melting? Oh. that's right. Ice melts at 0c.

I just checked and it seems Antarctica averages -30c with highs of a balmy -22c in the Summer. http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/weather/climate.shtml
The coastal areas are warmer. The more open ocean there is the more snow we can expect it looks like. It seems you would expect there to be increased ice in the middle of the continent. More snow but still below freezing temperatures.

Excellent! Now explain why over the last ten years the arctic ice is on average decreasing, while the antarctic ice is on average increasing.

Gee.. let's see. The arctic ice mainly floats on water. Water by its very nature can't be colder than the ice on it and can't reach a temperature tens of degrees below the freezing point of water. Where the water and the ice meet the temperature has to be right at that freezing point. Any colder and more water would freeze. Any warmer and ice would melt. Now what happens if you warm the water that ice is floating on by about one degree?

The Antarctic ice is on land. Land can be colder than the freezing point for water. Air can be colder than the freezing point for water and is in the interior of Antarctica.

Again! Excellent!

Then, of course, the ice in the arctic thickens or thins based on the temperature of the water below it as well as the temperature of the air above it.

The air above the arctic ice is warming because of the infrared radiation it receives. The arctic ice will receive less precipitation in the form of snow as a result.

But the antarctic ice is receiving more precipitation in the form of snow, not less, despite the increased infrared radiation in the air above the antarctic ice. Shocked Well, let's discuss that later.

I expect the water below the arctic ice will warm at a lessor rate than the air above, because it is water and not air, and because it is somewhat shielded from that same infrared radiation.

OK! So now all we have to focus our attention on, is the source of that infrared radiation and the cause of its variable intensity over past millennia as well as past centuries and decades. Some say the most immediate source is the CO2 in the atmosphere. But much of that CO2 in the atmosphere is mixed with H2O. Consequently, its ability to radiate infrared light from the infrared radiation it receives from earth is somewhat reduced. So as the global temperature rises, more H2O would evaporate into the atmosphere and reduce further the atmospheric CO2's ability to radiate infrared. That would then lead to global cooling.

Confused What do you think?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:14 pm
ican wrote-

Quote:
I expect

I won't continue to bore you with what ican "expects" but ican also wrote-

Quote:
So now all we have to focus our attention on

Now that is obvious bullshit. My attention is focussed on a peanut-butter and strawberry jam butty, a medically approved sliver of chocolate roll, a cup of tea and a roll-up.

And I don't care for the "have" bit either.

I suppose that the "we" means those who are interested in the source of that infrared radiation and the cause of its variable intensity over past millennia as well as past centuries and decades.

Don't include me in that "we" mate.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:23 pm
spendius wrote:
ican wrote-

Quote:
I expect

I won't continue to bore you with what ican "expects" but ican also wrote-

Quote:
So now all we have to focus our attention on

Now that is obvious bullshit. My attention is focussed on a peanut-butter and strawberry jam butty, a medically approved sliver of chocolate roll, a cup of tea and a roll-up.

And I don't care for the "have" bit either.

I suppose that the "we" means those who are interested in the source of that infrared radiation and the cause of its variable intensity over past millennia as well as past centuries and decades.

Don't include me in that "we" mate.

Laughing

I didn't include you. I was responding to what parados and okie posted. But of course, I am now responding to you ... but just for the fun of it!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 07:07 pm
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
okie wrote:

Let's see.. you have a continent that probably averages temperatures of -40c and then you warm it up by .78 degrees.

I just checked and it seems Antarctica averages -30c with highs of a balmy -22c in the Summer. http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/weather/climate.shtml
The coastal areas are warmer. The more open ocean there is the more snow we can expect it looks like. It seems you would expect there to be increased ice in the middle of the continent. More snow but still below freezing temperatures.

Excellent! Now explain why over the last ten years the arctic ice is on average decreasing, while the antarctic ice is on average increasing.

Gee.. let's see. The arctic ice mainly floats on water. Water by its very nature can't be colder than the ice on it and can't reach a temperature tens of degrees below the freezing point of water. Where the water and the ice meet the temperature has to be right at that freezing point. Any colder and more water would freeze. Any warmer and ice would melt. Now what happens if you warm the water that ice is floating on by about one degree?

The Antarctic ice is on land. Land can be colder than the freezing point for water. Air can be colder than the freezing point for water and is in the interior of Antarctica.

Again! Excellent!

Then, of course, the ice in the arctic thickens or thins based on the temperature of the water below it as well as the temperature of the air above it.
Yes, and we will see your errors in thought soon enough.
Quote:

The air above the arctic ice is warming because of the infrared radiation it receives.
Not quite complete. It receives heat from the other wave lengths as well that are absorbed and retransmitted as IR.
Quote:
The arctic ice will receive less precipitation in the form of snow as a result.
Why do you think it will receive less precipitation? We don't know that from the facts you have presented. If the ice is thinning because of the air then there would be more water vapor in the air so a good chance of more precipitation. Remember the Antarctic gets more precipitation because of more open water.
Quote:

But the antarctic ice is receiving more precipitation in the form of snow, not less, despite the increased infrared radiation in the air above the antarctic ice. Shocked Well, let's discuss that later.
You haven't presented any evidence that one is receiving more than the other. We only know that in Antarctica the precipitation is staying as ice and not melting.
Quote:

I expect the water below the arctic ice will warm at a lessor rate than the air above, because it is water and not air, and because it is somewhat shielded from that same infrared radiation.
I guess if you assume that water is a solid and doesn't flow then that might be accurate. But we know that the ocean has currents that move warm water north and cold water south. You are also assuming that the laws of thermodynamics don't exist. If you increase the air temperature above the ice then the ice isn't as cold so the water doesn't need to be as warm to melt the ice below. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer
Quote:

OK! So now all we have to focus our attention on, is the source of that infrared radiation and the cause of its variable intensity over past millennia as well as past centuries and decades. Some say the most immediate source is the CO2 in the atmosphere. But much of that CO2 in the atmosphere is mixed with H2O. Consequently, its ability to radiate infrared light from the infrared radiation it receives from earth is somewhat reduced. So as the global temperature rises, more H2O would evaporate into the atmosphere and reduce further the atmospheric CO2's ability to radiate infrared. That would then lead to global cooling.
What? How does H20 affect the absorbtion and radiation rate of CO2? The only thing H20 could do is be so prevalent that it absorbs all the IR so that there is none left for the CO2 to absorb. Of course the H20 would radiate it's own IR at a reduced rate from what it received which again would be radiated in all directions including back toward the earth. ANY green house gas that prevents radiation of the earth's IR to space would lead to warming not cooling.
Quote:

That your logic is seriously flawed.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 07:33 pm
Parados, thank you for your detailed response. Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:21 pm
Command Central...this is blatham...I am recording a serious containment breach.

Aooogahh Aooogahh
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:40 pm
okie,

This is from the IPCC 4th summary for policy makers

Quote:
Eleven of the last twelve years (1995-2006) rank among
the 12 warmest years in the instrumental record of
global surface temperature9 (since 1850). The updated
100-year linear trend (1906 to 2005) of 0.74°C [0.56°C
to 0.92°C] is therefore larger than the corresponding
trend for 1901 to 2000 given in the TAR of 0.6°C

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_SPM.pdf
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:24 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
okie wrote:

Again! Excellent!

Yes, and we will see your errors in thought soon enough.
Quote:

The air above the arctic ice is warming because of the infrared radiation it receives.
Not quite complete. It receives heat from the other wave lengths as well that are absorbed and retransmitted as IR.
Quote:
Why do you think it will receive less precipitation? We don't know that from the facts you have presented. If the ice is thinning because of the air then there would be more water vapor in the air so a good chance of more precipitation. Remember the Antarctic gets more precipitation because of more open water.
Quote:

You haven't presented any evidence that one is receiving more than the other. We only know that in Antarctica the precipitation is staying as ice and not melting.
Quote:

I guess if you assume that water is a solid and doesn't flow then that might be accurate. But we know that the ocean has currents that move warm water north and cold water south. You are also assuming that the laws of thermodynamics don't exist. If you increase the air temperature above the ice then the ice isn't as cold so the water doesn't need to be as warm to melt the ice below. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer
Quote:

What? How does H20 affect the absorbtion and radiation rate of CO2? The only thing H20 could do is be so prevalent that it absorbs all the IR so that there is none left for the CO2 to absorb. Of course the H20 would radiate it's own IR at a reduced rate from what it received which again would be radiated in all directions including back toward the earth. ANY green house gas that prevents radiation of the earth's IR to space would lead to warming not cooling.
Quote:

That your logic is seriously flawed.

I think your logic is seriously flawed. I've enlarged some of the debatable parts of your post in anticipation of discussing them tomorrow.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:59 pm
Beneath the deafening sirens, spotlights swivel in the direction of...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:40 pm
parados wrote:
okie,

Quote:

So it is .74, not .78, to settle that to start with.

Secondly, I find the global warmers somewhat humorous, as the factor of moisture has not been mentioned prominently as far as I know in regard to the Arctic losing ice, but now they need to bring something else into the equation to explain more ice in Antarctica. So the factor of precipitation is brought into it. How come this factor is not plugged into the equations elsewhere?

To take the same principle to mountainous areas, alpine glaciers melt away in the summer, and always have, and if the amount of winter snow does not replace the amount of melting, the glaciers shrink. Seems like a simple enough concept, but I hear this seldom mentioned in regard to alpine glaciers. Instead, it is simply global warming.

Also, Parados, I do not recall you ever admitting to the influence of the solar cycles prior to the last few pages. Maybe we are making headway. And in regard to the solar cycles, do we really know for sure how many hundredths of a degree can be calculated? I find these calculations of the greenhouse effect in hundreths of a degree humorous to say the least, but not real credible. I do not believe the level of accuracy can begin to claim such calculations accurate. There are too many unknowns involved.

Your 5 year floating average is better than 2 or 3, but I would submit that maybe a 7 or 10 year average would be even better?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:41 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie,

Quote:

The .74 is for 100 years. We were talking 126. I only posted the number from the summary for policy makers and haven't looked at the full report yet. It could well be .78 so I would suggest you get off your high horse. Meanwhile you are STILL avoiding a source for your claim of .3. You compared a 25 year period to 120 year period and you have been avoiding admitting it ever since.
Quote:

Secondly, I find the global warmers somewhat humorous, as the factor of moisture has not been mentioned prominently as far as I know in regard to the Arctic losing ice, but now they need to bring something else into the equation to explain more ice in Antarctica. So the factor of precipitation is brought into it. How come this factor is not plugged into the equations elsewhere?
Ice doesn't appear out of nowhere. It REQUIRES water to make it. How do YOU think the water gets there?

Quote:

To take the same principle to mountainous areas, alpine glaciers melt away in the summer, and always have, and if the amount of winter snow does not replace the amount of melting, the glaciers shrink. Seems like a simple enough concept, but I hear this seldom mentioned in regard to alpine glaciers. Instead, it is simply global warming.
Alpine glacier areas don't have a yearly temperature average of -50 degrees and a Summer average of -20 degrees. Maybe you should do some research about the temperature averages in the Alpine areas.
Quote:

Also, Parados, I do not recall you ever admitting to the influence of the solar cycles prior to the last few pages.
You don't have much of a recall then, do you?
August 15th 2005
August 3rd 2006

Would you care to find the place where I ever said none of the warming could come from the solar cycles?

Quote:
Maybe we are making headway. And in regard to the solar cycles, do we really know for sure how many hundredths of a degree can be calculated? I find these calculations of the greenhouse effect in hundreths of a degree humorous to say the least, but not real credible. I do not believe the level of accuracy can begin to claim such calculations accurate. There are too many unknowns involved.
I am curious how you create averages. Can you kindly tell us? They don't declare the number accurate. They give a margin of error. Running an average out to 40 decimal places and then giving a margin of error of 2 decimal places doesn't mean the 40 decimal place number is accurate. It only means they didn't round it like they could have.

Quote:

Your 5 year floating average is better than 2 or 3, but I would submit that maybe a 7 or 10 year average would be even better?
You should check my number then for the oceans compared to the 5 year average for the period from 1880 to 2006. Then compare it to your number. .5 seems to be a lot closer than your number is. Even in the 7 year average and 10 year average your number is off by 25% or more. So I am curious okie, what floating average did you use to come up with your .3 number for the increase in ocean tempeartures from 1978 to 2001?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:49 pm
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie,

Quote:

The .74 is for 100 years. We were talking 126. I only posted the number from the summary for policy makers and haven't looked at the full report yet. It could well be .78 so I would suggest you get off your high horse. Meanwhile you are STILL avoiding a source for your claim of .3. You compared a 25 year period to 120 year period and you have been avoiding admitting it ever since.

You may have a point if you want to split hairs. .3, .4, .5, .6, whatever. The point is that we are looking at effects that are difficult to calculate. I look at them as ballpark numbers. You are correct that I pulled the .3 not from the 120 time frame, but that oversight does not defeat the basic point.
Quote:
Quote:

Ice doesn't appear out of nowhere. It REQUIRES water to make it. How do YOU think the water gets there?
Do tell, parados? So where are all the precipitation figures and cloud cover historical curves? Precipitation and water vapor in the atmosphere after all trumps lots of things in climate patterns, including CO2 as a greenhouse gas, so where is the data, Parados?
Quote:
Quote:

Alpine glacier areas don't have a yearly temperature average of -50 degrees and a Summer average of -20 degrees. Maybe you should do some research about the temperature averages in the Alpine areas.
Well, temperature is not the only factor, which is my point.
Quote:
Quote:
[Also, Parados, I do not recall you ever admitting to the influence of the solar cycles prior to the last few pages.
August 15th 2005
August 3rd 2006

Would you care to find the place where I ever said none of the warming could come from the solar cycles?

I stand corrected then, but checking your links reveals you downplay the effect, perhaps only 25% of the warming, which I disagree with. I think it could be more. For example, 0.3 of the 0.78 would be about 40%, and if ocean temperatures or troposphere are considered more pertinent, it could be the vast majority of global warming, if not all of it.
Quote:

Quote:
Maybe we are making headway. And in regard to the solar cycles, do we really know for sure how many hundredths of a degree can be calculated? I find these calculations of the greenhouse effect in hundreths of a degree humorous to say the least, but not real credible. I do not believe the level of accuracy can begin to claim such calculations accurate. There are too many unknowns involved.
I am curious how you create averages. Can you kindly tell us? They don't declare the number accurate. They give a margin of error. Running an average out to 40 decimal places and then giving a margin of error of 2 decimal places doesn't mean the 40 decimal place number is accurate. It only means they didn't round it like they could have.

Quote:

You should check my number then for the oceans compared to the 5 year average for the period from 1880 to 2006. Then compare it to your number. .5 seems to be a lot closer than your number is. Even in the 7 year average and 10 year average your number is off by 25% or more. So I am curious okie, what floating average did you use to come up with your .3 number for the increase in ocean tempeartures from 1978 to 2001?
I didn't calculate it, I just eyeballed it and rounded it off. I've already said it was probably closer to .4, big deal. We are talking about tenths of a degree here that are nothing more than ballpark figures.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:48 am
okie wrote:
You may have a point if you want to split hairs. .3, .4, .5, .6, whatever. The point is that we are looking at effects that are difficult to calculate. I look at them as ballpark numbers. You are correct that I pulled the .3 not from the 120 time frame, but that oversight does not defeat the basic point.
I'm afraid it DOES defeat your basic point. The point you were attempting to make was that all of the warming was coming from solar forcings.

Quote:
Do tell, parados? So where are all the precipitation figures and cloud cover historical curves? Precipitation and water vapor in the atmosphere after all trumps lots of things in climate patterns, including CO2 as a greenhouse gas, so where is the data, Parados?

So.. you don't think ice comes from water? You can answer the same question I asked ican. Where does the water come from in the interior of Antarctica? I would love to hear your explanation of how the ice is getting thicker if there is not water being added to form more ice. It's obvious, okie that you and ican don't live where the lakes freeze and it snows. Otherwise you would know what happens to snow that falls on water compared to when it falls on ice.

Quote:

Well, temperature is not the only factor, which is my point.
Really? What do you think causes ice to melt other than temperature. The temperature in Antarctica does not get above freezing very often since the average during summer is -20c

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
[Also, Parados, I do not recall you ever admitting to the influence of the solar cycles prior to the last few pages.
August 15th 2005
August 3rd 2006

I stand corrected then, but checking your links reveals you downplay the effect, perhaps only 25% of the warming, which I disagree with. I think it could be more. For example, 0.3 of the 0.78 would be about 40%, and if ocean temperatures or troposphere are considered more pertinent, it could be the vast majority of global warming, if not all of it.
Do you have 120 year of troposphere measurements? Or is this just another attempt to compare 120 years to 28?

You keep claiming the .3 number but have not presented any evidence that it exists other than you ran the numbers yourself and one abstract that only uses .3 as the high end of its range. (The post with that link dissappeared as well.)

Quote:

I didn't calculate it, I just eyeballed it and rounded it off. I've already said it was probably closer to .4, big deal. We are talking about tenths of a degree here that are nothing more than ballpark figures.
Where did you learn to round if you admit it is closer to .4 but you claimed it was .3? Accuracy isn't necessary to support your argument it seems but boy when I use hundredths instead of tenths you get all upset about the accuracy. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, it's no big deal when you throw around numbers that aren't based on any reality. It seems your ballpark isn't one that uses real numbers but instead uses numbers 'rounded' Rolling Eyes to support your bias. Based on your "rounding" of the ocean numbers I wonder what your "rounding" was in your solar forcing numbers. At this point I think I need to see your numbers before I will accept your .3 number since you have shown accuracy is not important in your figures.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 03:37 pm
ican wrote:

parados wrote:
Why do you think it will receive less precipitation?

I did not claim "less precipation", I claimed that in the arctic "less precipitation in the form of snow" would result from global warming. That would also be true in the antarctic.

ican wrote:

parados wrote:

If it be true that the CO2 ppm in earth's atmosphere affects the temperature of the earth, and that the temperature of the earth has been warming because of increased CO2 ppm in the atmosphere, then it would also be true that if the amount of CO2 ppm in the atmosphere were decreased, the temperature of the earth would decrease. It is also true that if the CO2 in the atmosphere received less IR (i.e., Infrared Radiation), the earth would cool.

The absorbtion of CO2 in the H2O in the atmosphere reduces that CO2's ability to re-radiate the IR it receives. Also the H2O in the atmosphere reduces the IR received by the CO2 in the atmosphere. Consequently the more H2O in the atmosphere the less radiation of IR back to earth by the CO2.

When the earth's temperature is increased, more H2O evaporates into the atmosphere, thereby reducing the re-radiation of IR by the CO2 in the atmosphere. When that H2O in the atmosphere precipitates, it not only reduces the H2O in the atmosphere; it reduces the CO2 that would otherwise remain in the atmosphere.

Furthermore we also know that the H2O remaining in the atmosphere re-radiates much of the sun's radiation back into the atmosphere.

All that being the case, the amount of H2O in atmosphere has a far greater effect on the earth's temperature than does the CO2 in the atmosphere. We also know that clouds of H2O reduce the amount of radiation and re-radiation of IR to the earth than does a cloudless atmosphere. So it would not be a good idea to try and reduce the amount of H2O in the atmosphere.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:32 pm
ican711nm wrote:
ican wrote:

parados wrote:

I did not claim "less precipation", I claimed that in the arctic "less precipitation in the form of snow" would result from global warming. That would also be true in the antarctic.
What kind of precipitation do you think can actually occur in air that is -20c? I have lived for over 40 years in the northern climes and I have never seen air that is -5c deliver anything but snow or some other frozen precipitation. If you have evidence of rain falling in those temperatures please provide us with it. I would love to see it. I think sleet is only formed when during a temperature inversion the upper air is warmer than 32F or 0c. On looking at the Arctic average temps it appears there are a couple of months when the surface air temp is around -5c to +5c. So it might be possible that the precipitation could be rain.

Quote:

ican wrote:

parados wrote:

If it be true that the CO2 ppm in earth's atmosphere affects the temperature of the earth, and that the temperature of the earth has been warming because of increased CO2 ppm in the atmosphere, then it would also be true that if the amount of CO2 ppm in the atmosphere were decreased, the temperature of the earth would decrease. It is also true that if the CO2 in the atmosphere received less IR (i.e., Infrared Radiation), the earth would cool.

You are basing your argument on CO2 being the only green house gas. It isn't. Let's see if we can make this simple and easy to understand.

The sun radiates light in all wavelengths. Visible light, IR, ultraviolet and others. Some of the wavelengths are stopped by the atmosphere and some are let through. Visible light is let through. It is absorbed or reflected by objects it hits. White objects reflect much of visible light. Black objects absorb much of it. What happens when the objects absorb light is they heat up. Think about a blacktop driveway on a sunny day or a black car vs a white car. There is a reason almost all the rental cars in AZ are white. When the object heats up the molecules vibrate and give off IR. It is this transfer of energy from visible light (and other wavelengths) to infrared that we are talking about.

In order for the earth to lose this heat created from the visible light it must make it to space. To greatly oversimplify, what a CO2 atom does is break apart the IR that hits it and sends it in all directions. For even more simplicity we will say 1/2 goes toward space and 1/2 goes back to earth. The more CO2 atoms you line vertically the less energy that finally gets to space. So lets assume the energy hits 3 CO2 atoms before getting to space. This would mean that 1/8 of the energy from the surface would make it to space on the first time through. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8. Of course the energy going back down would also split and go up and down so more than 1/8 would make it to space but it would not be equal to the 1/2 that reached with only 1 atom. And more than 1/2 would make it back to the surface. Now if we assume that water vapor acts exactly like CO2 in that 1/2 is radiated to space and 1/2 to earth then 3 H20 atoms lined up vertically would have the same effect as 3 CO2 atoms.

It quickly becomes obvious that it doesn't matter if the CO2 or the H20 atoms are what the IR hits, the action is the same. If you add more H20 or more CO2 to the line of atoms you reduce down the amount of energy that eventually makes it to space. Of course the atoms are not lined up. But if we do the same thing in a 3 dimensional grid and randomly place CO2 atoms and H20 atoms in it we see that the more atoms of either we place in the grid the less energy will make it through. So adding more H20 to the atmosphere doesn't mean that the earth's surface radiates more energy to space, it means it radiates less. And adding more H20 doesn't make the CO2 atoms less able to block energy, it only means they have less energy to block because other atoms are blocking it before it gets to the CO2.

When you start figuring that IR is radiated in all directions by the atoms it quickly becomes obvious that what happens is more energy becomes trapped in the atmosphere and more is radiated back to the surface the more greenhouse gases you put into the atmosphere.

Quote:

The absorbtion of CO2 in the H2O in the atmosphere reduces that CO2's ability to re-radiate the IR it receives. Also the H2O in the atmosphere reduces the IR received by the CO2 in the atmosphere. Consequently the more H2O in the atmosphere the less radiation of IR back to earth by the CO2.
CO2 atoms don't change. I know of no study that says CO2 dissolved in water acts any different from CO2 in air in response to IR. The CO2 in water would get less IR based on the surrounding H20 atoms but it would still act the same as far as I know. I would love to see any studies you might know of that would say it acts differently.

Quote:

When the earth's temperature is increased, more H2O evaporates into the atmosphere, thereby reducing the re-radiation of IR by the CO2 in the atmosphere. When that H2O in the atmosphere precipitates, it not only reduces the H2O in the atmosphere; it reduces the CO2 that would otherwise remain in the atmosphere.
Interesting idea but I don't think it is very realistic when it comes to reducing green house gases. If this was true then we wouldn't have the increases in CO2 we have seen over the last 50 years and there would be a decrease in CO2 in the atmosphere after a heavy rainstorm. I know of no science that says this.

Quote:

Furthermore we also know that the H2O remaining in the atmosphere re-radiates much of the sun's radiation back into the atmosphere.
Only if it is in the atmosphere as thick cloud cover and reflects visible light
Quote:

All that being the case, the amount of H2O in atmosphere has a far greater effect on the earth's temperature than does the CO2 in the atmosphere. We also know that clouds of H2O reduce the amount of radiation and re-radiation of IR to the earth than does a cloudless atmosphere. So it would not be a good idea to try and reduce the amount of H2O in the atmosphere.
Clouds reflect visible light before it ever gets to the earth. Since visible light never reaches the ground it can't warm the ground and be radiated back as IR. There have been papers written on this saying more clouds could act as an iris effect cutting off light and keeping the earth from heating too much. (Lindzen) The problem is that water vapor exists in the air at all times even when their aren't clouds. If we had clouds every day, the earth would cool but it would mean plants wouldn't get the direct sunlight many of them need. That would be a whole other problem.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:53 pm
Good grief, but this is a lot of blather! Blatham, you did have a good thread at one time.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:01 pm
hi beautiful!

Threads that continue on this long usually move from the terrific to the trite and back.

How the heck are you?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:48 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
ican wrote:

parados wrote:

What kind of precipitation do you think can actually occur in air that is -20c? I have lived for over 40 years in the northern climes and I have never seen air that is -5c deliver anything but snow or some other frozen precipitation.

If the earth were to warm sufficiently, the temperature of the air above the arctic and antarctic would also warm sufficiently to permit rain in the arctic and antarctic. After the rain came to rest on the arctic or antarctic ice, it would probably freeze.

If you have evidence of rain falling in those temperatures please provide us with it. I would love to see it. I think sleet is only formed when during a temperature inversion the upper air is warmer than 32F or 0c. On looking at the Arctic average temps it appears there are a couple of months when the surface air temp is around -5c to +5c. So it might be possible that the precipitation could be rain.

We are not talking about present conditions. We are talking about what current global warming folks predict will happen to future earth temperatures.

By the way, your over 40 years residence "in the northern climes" did not occur at any time when the earth warmed sufficiently for the temperature of the air above the arctic and antarctic to also warm sufficiently to permit rain in the arctic and antarctic. If the hysterical global warming predictions were to actually prove true, that sufficient air temperature rise to permit rain would probably occur.

ican wrote:

parados wrote:

ican wrote:

You are basing your argument on CO2 being the only green house gas. It isn't. Let's see if we can make this simple and easy to understand.

It is you, not me, who is attempting to make the case that the CO2 produced by human caused combustion is sufficient to warm the earth. Of course, there is methane and other gases that can be worse greenhouse gases. But those other gases are not being released by human caused combustion in sufficient quantity to warm the earth enough to warrant any concern.

The sun radiates light in all wavelengths. Visible light, IR, ultraviolet and others. Some of the wavelengths are stopped by the atmosphere and some are let through. Visible light is let through. It is absorbed or reflected by objects it hits. White objects reflect much of visible light. Black objects absorb much of it. What happens when the objects absorb light is they heat up. Think about a blacktop driveway on a sunny day or a black car vs a white car. There is a reason almost all the rental cars in AZ are white. When the object heats up the molecules vibrate and give off IR. It is this transfer of energy from visible light (and other wavelengths) to infrared that we are talking about.

We know H20 in the atmosphere lets some of the sun's radiation through to the earth's surface. We also know that H2O condensed into clouds can damn near stop visible sun radiation if the clouds are thick enough.

In order for the earth to lose this heat created from the visible light it must make it to space. To greatly oversimplify, what a CO2 atom does is break apart the IR that hits it and sends it in all directions. For even more simplicity we will say 1/2 goes toward space and 1/2 goes back to earth. The more CO2 atoms you line vertically the less energy that finally gets to space. So lets assume the energy hits 3 CO2 atoms before getting to space. This would mean that 1/8 of the energy from the surface would make it to space on the first time through. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8. Of course the energy going back down would also split and go up and down so more than 1/8 would make it to space but it would not be equal to the 1/2 that reached with only 1 atom. And more than 1/2 would make it back to the surface. Now if we assume that water vapor acts exactly like CO2 in that 1/2 is radiated to space and 1/2 to earth then 3 H20 atoms lined up vertically would have the same effect as 3 CO2 atoms.

It quickly becomes obvious that it doesn't matter if the CO2 or the H20 atoms are what the IR hits, the action is the same. If you add more H20 or more CO2 to the line of atoms you reduce down the amount of energy that eventually makes it to space. Of course the atoms are not lined up. But if we do the same thing in a 3 dimensional grid and randomly place CO2 atoms and H20 atoms in it we see that the more atoms of either we place in the grid the less energy will make it through. So adding more H20 to the atmosphere doesn't mean that the earth's surface radiates more energy to space, it means it radiates less. And adding more H20 doesn't make the CO2 atoms less able to block energy, it only means they have less energy to block because other atoms are blocking it before it gets to the CO2.

When you start figuring that IR is radiated in all directions by the atoms it quickly becomes obvious that what happens is more energy becomes trapped in the atmosphere and more is radiated back to the surface the more greenhouse gases you put into the atmosphere.

You have already admitted this doesn't happen sufficiently to cause earth warming if the CO2 ppm in the atmosphere is below a certain value. That is, the earth doesn't warm if the CO2 in the atmosphere is below a certain density. The earth cools instead.One of the things we are debating is whether or not the present CO2 ppm is adequate to cause the rise of earth's temperature currently observed.

ican wrote:

CO2 atoms don't change. I know of no study that says CO2 dissolved in water acts any different from CO2 in air in response to IR. The CO2 in water would get less IR based on the surrounding H20 atoms but it would still act the same as far as I know. I would love to see any studies you might know of that would say it acts differently.

If CO2 molecules were to get less IR when in water, then that CO2 would re-radiate less IR. The burden of proof is on those who advocate that CO2 is a principal culprit in causing earth warming. Therefore, it is they who have the burden of providing persuasive evidence that CO2 dissolved in water re-radiates as much IR as CO2 not dissolved in water. We're talking about science here, and not about consensus.

Quote:

Interesting idea but I don't think it is very realistic when it comes to reducing green house gases. If this was true then we wouldn't have the increases in CO2 we have seen over the last 50 years and there would be a decrease in CO2 in the atmosphere after a heavy rainstorm. I know of no science that says this.

ican wrote:

Only if it is in the atmosphere as thick cloud cover and reflects visible light
ican wrote:

Clouds reflect visible light before it ever gets to the earth. Since visible light never reaches the ground it can't warm the ground and be radiated back as IR. There have been papers written on this saying more clouds could act as an iris effect cutting off light and keeping the earth from heating too much. (Lindzen) The problem is that water vapor exists in the air at all times even when their aren't clouds. If we had clouds every day, the earth would cool but it would mean plants wouldn't get the direct sunlight many of them need. That would be a whole other problem.

True! And there would be more clouds not less if the hysterical earth warming forecasts were to eventually prove true. Subsequently, the earth would cool not warm. But the earth is warming. Neither you nor I really know why. My bet is that variations in the sun's radiation intensity is the really significant culprit, and not the human caused CO2 in the atmosphere.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:54 am
blatham wrote:
hi beautiful!

Threads that continue on this long usually move from the terrific to the trite and back.

How the heck are you?

Is suggesting that the sun is affecting temperature trite?

Haggling over tenths of a degree, or hundreths of a degree, I would agree is trite, as Parados is doing. My basic premise still stands, that the sun is likely a reason for global warming, how much I don't know, and I would submit nobody knows.

Now in regard to the greenhouse effect, all Parados has accomplished here is argue that precipitation affects ice. Wow, what a novel concept, that I am glad that the likes of Parados has finally awakened to. I wish all global warmers could wake up to that, and as part of another novel concept they could also include water vapor as a component of greenhouse gas of the supposed greenhouse effect. And as I said, I would love it if some scientist could present historical evidence of the levels of water vapor when they begin to do their wonderful greenhouse gas calcualations showing how it is going to kill us all and destroy the earth in a few decades.

Unless perhaps such would be too trite for scientists to consider?
0 Replies