Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

username

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 02:38 pm
Well, no, that's not all CO2 does. It changes the pH of sea water and makes it more acidic. Which among other things screws up coral and make it expel its symbiotes--you've heard of coral bleaching? That's one cause, and apparently the predominant one today. Considering that a large portion of human food needs is met by ocean fishing, and a large proportion of that is from fishing in and around coral reefs, which are incredibly productive--or have been in the past, and considering most of the earth's coral reefs have been in deep trouble in the last couple decades, and considering the overfishing and consequent collapse of fish stocks worldwide (not related to global warming but due to our own greed and lack of concern for sustainability limits), pumping more CO2 into the oceans looks a lot like pounding more nails into the coffin.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 02:38 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Only for Europeans.

May be. But we have to get meassured any three years - otherwise we don't get "the stamp" on the car.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 02:46 pm
username wrote:
Geez, ican,I know you came to this topic recently, but please get with the plan. We've already gone over this several times in the last 700 pages. Every time a newbie comes in, it gets rehashed. I suggested you read the wikipedia article because it summarizes a lot of research and a hundred years of physics. The ice ages and the ice cores are precisely what that paragraph is talking about, and the highs and lows are the CO2 in interglacials and during ice ages respectively. We are in an interglacial now, and have been since the glaciers melted about 10000 years ago. NO
ONE suggests ice ages occur at 20000 year intervals. If you read the EB that way, I suggest you go back and reread the article. Interglacials last about 10-20000 years but they recur at about 100000 year intervals. That is, ice ages are the norm.

And the gasses trapped in the cores are little bits of trapped atmosphere, year by year, so 270ppm in ice translates to 270ppm in the atmosphere.

And the point is, the cycle has been repeating itself with little variation for the past six ice age-interglacial cycles, UNTIL VERY LATE IN THIS INTERGLACIAL. CO2 has NEVER been anywhere near this high in the last 600,000 years, until we started burning fossil fuel and dumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

More CO2, more heat trapped. Svante Arrhenius proved that more than a century ago. Basic physics. I have not seen anyone of the denialists yet produce any sort of evidence that the increase in CO2 is coming from any source other than human interference. It's unprecedented in the historical record (that's the ice cores, ican).

I agree that CO2 in the atmosphere contributes some to the net retention of the heat of the earth. I think an H2O part per million in the atmosphere contributes far more than does a CO2 part per million. In otherwords, I think that almost all of the present global warming we have measured is caused by other things than the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.

I read the Wikipedia article. It does not say what caused the CO2 ppm in earth's atmosphere to fluctuate in the past. It only reports what others say caused the CO2 to increase in very recent history. It doesn't say what is causing the warming of Mars and Venice. It merely claims that there exists a greenhouse effect in the atmosphere's of both planets.

The article does not say what is the relationship between CO2 ppm in glacial ice and CO2 ppm in earth's atmosphere. I for one would expect that the CO2 ppm in glacial ice during any period would generally be lower than the CO2 ppm in the atmosphere, because generally there is less molecular movement in ice than there is in the atmosphere.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:03 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

CO2 is non-toxic.

That's correct: quite a few people use it as therapy and e.g. inhale it in closed garages.

It is CO (i.e., Carbon Monoxide), not CO2 (i.e., Carbon Dioxide), that is toxic when inhaled in garages among other places. It is Carbon Dioxide that is in soda water. The most dangerous thing in soda water is sugar and caffeine.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:09 pm
ican, take my word for it, that's what the article is talking about, or follow the reference the article gives you (that's the number in the parentheses) and see for yourself. And yes, H20 contributes more to the greenhouse effect, but H20 is (relatively) invariant and by all evidence hasn't changed much. And remember too that it is the greenhouse effect that has for the last couple billion years kept this planet from turning into a total iceball. It is the greenhouse effect that has kept the global mean temp. around 14 or 15 degrees C instead of below freezing. That's what the water vapor in the atmosphere, plus Co2 and methane and ozone (at the top of the troposphere) does. But we're adding a new factor to that, the sharp increase in anthropogenic CO2. Which looks like it's going to kick the global mean up maybe 4degrees C in the next half century or so (there are some disturbing signs that the higher limit on projected temp. increase may be more accurate than the lower or median ones). Keep in mind too that the difference between ice age global mean temp and twentieth century global mean was only around 5 or 6 degrees C, so that while a few degrees may not seem like much, it's the difference between an ice age and the weather you grew up with (which is already cooler than the last decade). So add about the same increase again to the weather as the change from the last ice age, and we're talking a vast difference in the world we know.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:13 pm
And CO2 in soda isn't particularly problematic, ture. In increasing concentrations in the sea, though, it is. See previous post.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:17 pm
username wrote:
Well, no, that's not all CO2 does. It changes the pH of sea water and makes it more acidic. Which among other things screws up coral and make it expel its symbiotes--you've heard of coral bleaching? That's one cause, and apparently the predominant one today. Considering that a large portion of human food needs is met by ocean fishing, and a large proportion of that is from fishing in and around coral reefs, which are incredibly productive--or have been in the past, and considering most of the earth's coral reefs have been in deep trouble in the last couple decades, and considering the overfishing and consequent collapse of fish stocks worldwide (not related to global warming but due to our own greed and lack of concern for sustainability limits), pumping more CO2 into the oceans looks a lot like pounding more nails into the coffin.

That's a new one. Shocked I thought for a substance to contribute to acidity of water it must contain some molecules other than H2O that either contain hydrogen themselves or can form molecules with some of the hydrogen in water molecules. CO2 does not contain hydrogen. I guess I better avoid carbonated water.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:24 pm
And for that matter, CO2 in sufficient concentration is deadly (I'm not sure if it's exactly "toxic", but nonetheless it can kill you). Get above about 5%(if I remember correctly, it's been awhile) and it suppresses your breathing reflex and you die. It can build up in mines--it's called "choke damp" and can kill you with no warning. And there have been several cases in the last couple decades of mass deaths by CO2--African lakes in mountainous bowls have disgorged sequestered CO2 and killed all the surrounding villagers--wierd but fact.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/smother.asp

We're not talking anywhere near those concentrations in the atmosphere as a whole. At least not yet. But it's not exactly benign.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:34 pm
username wrote:
ican, take my word for it, that's what the article is talking about, or follow the reference the article gives you (that's the number in the parentheses) and see for yourself. And yes, H20 contributes more to the greenhouse effect, but H20 is (relatively) invariant and by all evidence hasn't changed much. And remember too that it is the greenhouse effect that has for the last couple billion years kept this planet from turning into a total iceball. It is the greenhouse effect that has kept the global mean temp. around 14 or 15 degrees C instead of below freezing. That's what the water vapor in the atmosphere, plus Co2 and methane and ozone (at the top of the troposphere) does. But we're adding a new factor to that, the sharp increase in anthropogenic CO2. Which looks like it's going to kick the global mean up maybe 4degrees C in the next half century or so (there are some disturbing signs that the higher limit on projected temp. increase may be more accurate than the lower or median ones). Keep in mind too that the difference between ice age global mean temp and twentieth century global mean was only around 5 or 6 degrees C, so that while a few degrees may not seem like much, it's the difference between an ice age and the weather you grew up with (which is already cooler than the last decade). So add about the same increase again to the weather as the change from the last ice age, and we're talking a vast difference in the world we know.

It is the greenhouse effect of our total atmosphere that has kept the globe mean temperature at 14 to 15 degrees C. However, it has not only been fluctuations of CO2 in the atmosphere that have caused fluctuations in global temperature. One key factor has to be fluctuations in the intensity of the sun's radiation. It seems to me that relatively small fluctuations in the sun's radiation intensity would cause large fluctuations in the earth's temperature. I think that because the sun is constantly radiating the earth and even small changes in that radiation can over long periods of time cause significant changes in the density of various molecules in our atmosphere.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:42 pm
Here's a good newspaper summary of the recent research on effects of increasing CO2 concentration in the ocean, and it's not a pretty picture:

http://www.paramuspost.com/article.php/20060923085348230
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:46 pm
username wrote:
And for that matter, CO2 in sufficient concentration is deadly (I'm not sure if it's exactly "toxic", but nonetheless it can kill you). Get above about 5%(if I remember correctly, it's been awhile) and it suppresses your breathing reflex and you die. It can build up in mines--it's called "choke damp" and can kill you with no warning. And there have been several cases in the last couple decades of mass deaths by CO2--African lakes in mountainous bowls have disgorged sequestered CO2 and killed all the surrounding villagers--wierd but fact.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/smother.asp

We're not talking anywhere near those concentrations in the atmosphere as a whole. At least not yet. But it's not exactly benign.

CO2 itself is not toxic. However putting enough CO2 in a porous room can drive enough Oxygen from that room to make the room deadly. However, adding CO2 to the atmosphere will drive the lighter gases higher, but not out of the atmosphere. For that matter, adding H2O to air (i.e., increasing the humidity of air) in a porous room can likewise drive Oxygen out of that room. That's the reason engines (e.g., aircraft engines) generate less horsepower in more humid conditions--less Oxygen--than they do in less humid conditions--more Oxygen.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 04:11 pm
username wrote:
Here's a good newspaper summary of the recent research on effects of increasing CO2 concentration in the ocean, and it's not a pretty picture:

Quote:
ocean chemistry
By Bruce Lieberman Sunday, September 24 2006, 01:53 AM EDT Views: 1,924

ACID TEST Fifty-five million years ago, Earth endured a period of rapid global warming, a shift so dramatic it altered ocean and atmospheric circulation, driving plankton in the seas and mammals on land to extinction.

The event, called the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, may have been caused by volcanic eruptions that flooded the atmosphere with billions of tons of carbon dioxide. Or, methane gas frozen beneath the sea on continental shelves could have destabilized, diffusing into the atmosphere where it was oxidized into carbon dioxide.

As the oceans absorbed much of the carbon dioxide, their pH fell and they grew increasingly acidified.

Every day, about 22 million tons of carbon dioxide generated from human activities - primarily from the burning of fossil fuels - are entering the world's oceans. That's 10 times the rate at which carbon dioxide would be absorbed by the oceans if humans did not burn fossil fuels.

Let see now:
(1) "Fifty-five million years ago, Earth endured a period of rapid global warming that may have been caused by volcanic eruptions";
(2) "may have been caused by volcanic eruptions that flooded the atmosphere with billions of tons of carbon dioxide";
(3) "Every day, about 22 million tons of carbon dioxide [are] generated from human activities."

365 days per year x 22 million tons per day = 8.030 billion tons per year

I guess that's not been enough over the last 10 years (80.03 billion) to have yet caused rapid global warming and make the sea acidic. Shocked
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
ican711nm wrote:
username wrote:

Quote:
ocean chemistry
By Bruce Lieberman Sunday, September 24 2006, 01:53 AM EDT Views: 1,924

ACID TEST Fifty-five million years ago, Earth endured a period of rapid global warming, a shift so dramatic it altered ocean and atmospheric circulation, driving plankton in the seas and mammals on land to extinction.

The event, called the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, may have been caused by volcanic eruptions that flooded the atmosphere with billions of tons of carbon dioxide. Or, methane gas frozen beneath the sea on continental shelves could have destabilized, diffusing into the atmosphere where it was oxidized into carbon dioxide.

As the oceans absorbed much of the carbon dioxide, their pH fell and they grew increasingly acidified.

Every day, about 22 million tons of carbon dioxide generated from human activities - primarily from the burning of fossil fuels - are entering the world's oceans. That's 10 times the rate at which carbon dioxide would be absorbed by the oceans if humans did not burn fossil fuels.

Let see now:
(1) "Fifty-five million years ago, Earth endured a period of rapid global warming that may have been caused by volcanic eruptions";
(2) "may have been caused by volcanic eruptions that flooded the atmosphere with billions of tons of carbon dioxide";
(3) "Every day, about 22 million tons of carbon dioxide [are] generated from human activities."

365 days per year x 22 million tons per day = 8.030 billion tons per year

I guess that's not been enough over the last 10 years (80.03 billion) to have yet caused rapid global warming and make the sea acidic. Shocked

I don't think the question was weather or not billions of tons of CO2 would cause global warming, but rather if it was volcanic eruptions or methane gas frozen beneath the sea.

Most climate studies have been done using data up to 600,000 years ago, I'm not sure going back 55 million years would provide any comparable data.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:28 pm
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

Good ole okie.. jumping in to the deep end when he still can't swim..

By the way.. your own calculation would show that the warming can't all be coming from solar radiation. Do you not trust your own calculation? The earth has warmed .78 celsius. Your calculation is for .3 C. Where does the other .48 +-.18 come from?

Where do you get 0.78? The latest numbers I see are much less than that, more like 0.3 to 0.5., depending upon whether you look at the ocean, lower atmosphere, troposphere, etc.

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Warming_Look.htm

That's interesting considering you are only using the satellite numbers from 1978 on and shows an increase of .3 to .5 in that 28 year time period and your link that you said supported your numbers uses a 120 year time period.
Well, this NOAA site claims +0.6 plus or minus 0.2, so again it could be no more than +0.4, Parados. Further, if you look at the ocean temperature graph, it shows only about a 0.3 C increase. I personally think some of the surface temperature data are more corrupted by the heat island effects, not only in a general way in urban areas but also by the very local conditions around weather stations. That is another subject for another day, but I think I take ocean temperatures and temperatures above the lower atmosphere more seriously.

So again, the calculated 0.3C increase due to the sun is not significantly different in terms of statistics from what the actual increase has been roughly measured to be, considering the uncertainties of the measurements.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html#Q3
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globtemp.html

Quote:
Quote:
Abstract The effect of changes in the total solar irradiance and intensity of galactic cosmic rays on the increase in the global temperature of the Earth over the last 120 years was investigated using a one-dimensional energy-balance climate model. It is shown that the joint effect of solar and cosmic factors during this periodcan lead to an increase in the average temperature of the northern hemisphere by 0.25-0.35°C

Lookie there - okie is in over his head. Can you post your numbers okie? Let's see which time frame you used.

Everybody is over their head if they claim more than the data shows. I am simply looking at the most obvious answers first that make sense, instead of believing someone's political agenda and obscure and convoluted computer models that incorporate garbage in / garbage out. The issue is simply too complex and there are far too many unknowns for anyone to make grandiose projections from the so-called "Greenhouse Effect."

If you want to solve a problem or explain an issue, you look at the simplest answers first, and the sun is the simplest answer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:33 pm
Okie..
You are comparing a 28 year period to a 120 year period and then claiming that the .3 increase from solar over the 120 year period proves that the .3 increase in the 28 year period is from the sun. Rolling Eyes There is NOT a .3 increase in the 120 year period. The increase is about .78 in the 120 year period.

Garbage in/Garbage out.. And you are doing nothing but garbage with the way you are using your numbers.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:40 pm
The links I just posted are from 1880 to 2004. It shows about a 0.3 increase in ocean temperature since 1880. Maybe 0.4. Lets say 0.3 to 0.4.

And the land temperature is stated as 0.6 plus or minus 0.2, which is not the 0.78 you pretend to believe.

I am asking again, where do you get 0.78? You never answer the questions I ask.

P.S. 0.78 is a strange number anyway, as claiming hundreths of a degree in a value that is an approximation to begin with is totally superfluous in my opinion. We hardly know whether tenths of a degree are even possible. After all, the NOAA gives a margin of error of 0.2 plus or minus.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 08:17 am
okie wrote:
The links I just posted are from 1880 to 2004. It shows about a 0.3 increase in ocean temperature since 1880. Maybe 0.4. Lets say 0.3 to 0.4.

Considering the graph goes from -.01 in 1880 to +.04 in 2001 I'm not sure how you come up with your .3 number. I didn't see a specific number listed but I just scanned the first page. Your charts only go to 2001 not 2004.
Quote:

And the land temperature is stated as 0.6 plus or minus 0.2, which is not the 0.78 you pretend to believe.
You might want to use some newer numbers okie instead of 6 year old numbers
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2005/
Quote:
Global warming is now 0.6°C in the past three decades and 0.8°C in the past century

Quote:

I am asking again, where do you get 0.78? You never answer the questions I ask.
My number came from wiki. I wanted to confirm it came from the IPCC but haven't had time.

Quote:

P.S. 0.78 is a strange number anyway, as claiming hundreths of a degree in a value that is an approximation to begin with is totally superfluous in my opinion. We hardly know whether tenths of a degree are even possible. After all, the NOAA gives a margin of error of 0.2 plus or minus.
it isn't a strange number at all since it includes an error. They could run the number out to infinity if they wanted. The precision comes from the error not the rounding used in factoring. But if you prefer we use the number rounded to .8 +/-.2 instead of .78 +/-.18, that's fine by me.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 08:46 am
parados wrote:
okie wrote:

Considering the graph goes from -.01 in 1880 to +.04 in 2001 I'm not sure how you come up with your .3 number. I didn't see a specific number listed but I just scanned the first page. Your charts only go to 2001 not 2004.

Just to address this one point, I did not look at the last years spike, but instead the average of the last 2 or 3 years in the graph, which gives around .3, which added to -.1 gives a .4 rise, but anyhow even if you want to give it .5 based on one year, big deal, the same could be done with sunspots in the 11 year cycle instead of using longterm trends. Note here that I think the suns effect is more of a longterm thing and does not respond to little spikes on a yearly basis. To be reasonable in evaluating longterm temperature trends, you can't look at one year spikes.

I take it you may concede solar has some effect, and if it is around .25 to .35, even if you use your higher numbers, that would take care of half of global warming?

I will await your further documentation of the .78, as I don't think Wiki is such a great one. By the way, how come the Antarctic is growing ice?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:29 am
okie wrote:
By the way, how come the Antarctic is growing ice?

You might not like Wiki, but at least it notes relieble sources.

From their Antartic report

Quote:
Most of the continent's icy mass has so far proven largely impervious to climate change, being situated on solid rock; its deep interior is actually growing in volume. [41] However, Antarctica's periphery has been noticeably affected by global warming, particularly on the Antarctic Peninsula and in Pine Island Bay which together are contributing to a rise in sea levels. [42] In 2003 the Larsen-B ice shelf collapse owing to global warming. [43] According to NASA, the most significant Antarctic melting in the past 30 years occurred in 2005, when a mass of ice comparable in size to California briefly melted and refroze; this may have resulted from temperatures rising to as high as 41 °F (5 °C). [44]

41^ The Economist, 3 November 2007, p. 78
42^ The Economist, 3 November 2007, p. 78
43^ British antarctic survey. First direct evidence that human activity is linked to Antarctic Ice Shelf Collapse.
44^ Reuters (2007-05-16). Big area of Antarctica melted in 2005. CNN. Retrieved on 2007-06-11.

Besides that, Britannica has a good report, too.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:20 am
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie wrote:

Just to address this one point, I did not look at the last years spike, but instead the average of the last 2 or 3 years in the graph, which gives around .3, which added to -.1 gives a .4 rise,
Which still doesn't explain your .3 number. I can't find the actual numbers used on the chart but from eyeballing it, it seems that a 2 year would give a little over 4.5 and a 3 year would give about 4.33. That isn't quite in your .3 to .4 range.

Quote:
but anyhow even if you want to give it .5 based on one year, big deal, the same could be done with sunspots in the 11 year cycle instead of using longterm trends. Note here that I think the suns effect is more of a longterm thing and does not respond to little spikes on a yearly basis.
A 5 year average would be a better measure of moving average don't you think? After all we want to take out the spikes that come from one year anomalies.

Quote:
To be reasonable in evaluating longterm temperature trends, you can't look at one year spikes.
Thanks okie. I will keep that in mind the next time you do just that. Or how about when you try to only use the ocean numbers in talking about "global warming" and the solar effect. I didn't realize the sun only shines on the ocean.

Quote:

I take it you may concede solar has some effect, and if it is around .25 to .35, even if you use your higher numbers, that would take care of half of global warming?
I never said solar had no effect. Half of global warming is not what you were saying earlier however. You said that solar was .3 and global warming was only .3. (For some reason I can't find your original post now.)
Here is a nice big chart that clearly shows the 5 year average.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/updates/200708_2.gif
As you can see the warming is clearly more than .7
Quote:

I will await your further documentation of the .78, as I don't think Wiki is such a great one. By the way, how come the Antarctic is growing ice?
So you don't like NASA as a source for the .8 that I posted earlier?
0 Replies