Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:03 pm
okie wrote:

I have noticed something lately, certain people of some political persuasions love to use innocent children to spread their propaganda,...

Yes, that's really incredible, like here those poor children from The Green's Youth Brigade

http://i24.tinypic.com/20875nr.jpg
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:18 pm
Social Programs are the SINGLE biggest chunk of the National Budget at this time and has been for a number of years now. (DeptTreas Stats) Surprised

The proponents of more/additional/supplementary (take your pick) social programs consistantly use "the children" as a sympathy gathering, emotion evoking tool to garner support for their "Program". It is also a weapon to use against non-supporters of a given program. :wink:

The emotional appeal is hard to ignore, if one is any sort of humanitarian at all. What to do? I have no idea, nor, apparently does our Government. Firing bushel baskets of money at the problem(s) does not seem to make them go away, but, in fact, serves to exacerbate them. Crying or Very sad

Halfback
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:24 pm
Actually, I lied. I do have a few ideas, but I would be crucified should I suggest them in a forum like this. Some of them would seem pretty draconian, at best. Cruel at worst. Sad

Can't have that in our "Warm and fuzzy', "Feel good about ourselves", "Politically Correct" Society. Can we? Laughing

Halfback
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:25 pm
Halfback wrote:
Actually, I lied. I do have a few ideas, but I would be crucified should I suggest them in a forum like this. Some of them would seem pretty draconian, at best. Cruel at worst. Sad

Can't have that in our "Warm and fuzzy', "Feel good about ourselves", "Politically Correct" Society. Can we? Laughing

Halfback

Of course we can! Let's hear em!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:25 pm
Not on a bet! I like to tell myself to think outside the box, but some ideas are soooooo outside the box, that to utter them would cost me whatever little creditability I might have gathered to myself with my posts. Embarrassed

So, if that be the coward's way..... color me yellow! Laughing

Halfback
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 05:08 pm
Aw- come Hb--get it off your chest. I'm unshockable. I've read the Marquis de Sade. Can you top that?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:48 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
okie wrote:

I have noticed something lately, certain people of some political persuasions love to use innocent children to spread their propaganda,...

Yes, that's really incredible, like here those poor children from The Green's Youth Brigade

http://i24.tinypic.com/20875nr.jpg

Thats a good example, Walter. Remember Americorp that Bill instituted right after he got in office?

http://www.americorps.org/

See any similarity there? I'm waiting for Hillary to institute another more robust and more funded youth brigade of some kind if she should by some disaster become elected.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:30 am
With Gore and the UN's climate panel share the Nobel Peace Prize - for their work warning of the risks of climate change - I suppose ...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:22 pm
It is a fitting testimony to the hipocrisy of the foundation and its creator, who made his fortune supplying ever more effective explosives to the European powers in their descent towards chaos prior to WWI. From Jimmy Carter to Al Gore it is clear they prefer paassivity over action and form over substance when it comes to American political leaders.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:29 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
From Jimmy Carter to Al Gore it is clear they prefer paassivity over action and form over substance when it comes to American political leaders.

Al Gore is too passive for you? You know, you could have fooled me. All along I've been thinking that you'd been warning people against the environmentalist activism.

My bad.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:31 pm
I said it badly -- passivity referred to Jimmy Carter and form over substance to Gore.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:44 am
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
I will defend my friend spendi unto death unless cash is offered to betray him. Five dollars should do. For ten, you can take him as a personal sex slave for either yourself or Aunt Hetty.

What's a "sex slave" Bernie? What is their role in the life of their owner?

Is it anything like that stuff in the Circe episode of Ulysses and is Aunt Hetty anything like Bella Cohen's cleaning women who asks her employer if she needs any help with Leopold?

I'm only a country boy and I'm not clued up on the mores in sophisticated city settings.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:17 pm
Global warming, Gore and the Nobel...piece from the Economist
http://economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9968899
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:28 am
Good article Bernie thanks.

I think even the contrarians are beginning to shut up.

Quote:
Nevertheless, America is now generally expected to accept in some form the controls on emissions that it rejected when it turned down Kyoto, and Mr Gore has been instrumental in getting it there.

America gets there in the end.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:52 am
blatham wrote:
Global warming, Gore and the Nobel...piece from the Economist
http://economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9968899

Who knew Blatham would go as low as quoting religious left-wing rags like the Economist!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:47 am
I thought The Economist piece got this issue about right.

The selection criteria for the "Peace Prize" (originally the salve for Albert Nobel's conscience after enriching himself in the munitions and explosives trade during the warm-up for the great disaster of the 20th century, WWI) have been mutated by the selection committee into a reward for what they regard as deserving 'politically correct' behavior, regardless of its lack of connection to peace. Gore's contribution was a successful piece of propaganda on a subject they favor.

The Nobel Committee and Al Gore are well-matched
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:21 am
george inserted this cute little personal, though factual, bit on Nobel
Quote:
(originally the salve for Albert Nobel's conscience after enriching himself in the munitions and explosives trade during the warm-up for the great disaster of the 20th century, WWI)

And how do you think the USA, enriching itself in the munitions and explosive trade, will go about salving its conscience for doing exactly what Nobel did, but on a magnitudes greater scale, george? The US does, after all, produce and sell more people-killing stuff than anyone else in the world.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:08 am
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/opinion/15krugman.html?ref=opinion
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:14 am
Aw-shucks,

Bernie has dodged my question with a piece of dross such as-

Quote:
Nevertheless, America is now generally expected to accept in some form the controls on emissions that it rejected when it turned down Kyoto, and Mr Gore has been instrumental in getting it there.

which is totally devoid of meaning.

And I was looking forward to a nice piece of creative writing.

Ah-well!! Such is life.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:11 am
Sorry, spendi, but Bernie has violin lessons all afternoon.

Remarks on the Nobel winner...
Quote:
He is obnoxious as a man. He is a windbag. He is pompous and self-dramatizing, He is holier than thou.

The Nobel winner described was Martin Luther King.
http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/10/about_selfrighteousness_and_al.php
0 Replies