Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:42 pm
okie wrote:
If arsenic is sure to kill us all at the present dosage, then how is drinking twice as much arsenic in the future better than 3 times as much, Walter?

You've got nothing else to drink than arsenic?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
This coffee tastes like it, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:53 pm
Well, any coffee in the USA .... wait: did you get a good one? Where?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
On second thought, thinking about British coffee makes this stuff taste alot better. I don't know about your coffee, but if its anything like the British, no thanks.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 01:52 pm
okie wrote:
On second thought, thinking about British coffee makes this stuff taste alot better. I don't know about your coffee, but if its anything like the British, no thanks.
you're welcome :wink:
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:03 pm
George Baxter wrote:
Quote:

Maybe everybody else sees a distinct trend since 1998 in the following graph except me? To me, it seems maybe very weakly upward on average, but really more like a plateau, and the peaks still do not surpass 1998. Based on the current trends, it does not appear to be conclusive at all which way the graph will go in the future.

Okie, I agree with you. I have independently come to the same conclusion, that there has not really been a real increase since 1998. The source of my data is the UK Met Office Hadley centre. You can download the data yourself.

UK Met office Hadley Centre

[.....................]
My view is that the global temperature is the result of many, many variables, of which CO2 in a minor one. The 1998 peak coincides with the second largest el Nino.

At last, a sane Brit! Welcome, Mr. Baxter.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:30 pm
in case anyone is still doubting the warming of the arctic region ...
perhaps they may also want to check with the polar bears ...

Quote:

He should not be able to do this

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/17/jt_swimmer_wideweb__470x271,0.jpg

July 17, 2007

A BRITISH lawyer, Lewis Gordon Pugh, became the first person to complete a long-distance swim at the North Pole on Sunday, taking 18 minutes and 50 seconds to cover one kilometre along a temporary crack in the ice with what he said would be a water temperature of minus 1.8 degrees.

He braved the freezing waters to highlight the devastating impact of climate change on the natural world.

It should not be possible to swim there but an increase in global air temperatures has resulted in a decrease in sea ice. Most people would die quickly through hyper- ventilation, shock and drowning but Pugh's ability to survive has baffled scientists for years.

He wore just trunks and goggles and has the ability to elevate his core body temperature before he enters the water, then uses his warm blood to protect his vital organs.

"The water was absolutely black," said Pugh, 37.

"It was like jumping into a dark, black hole. It was frightening. The pain was immediate and felt like my body was on fire.

"I was in excruciating pain from beginning to end, and I nearly quit on a few occasions. It was without doubt the hardest swim of my life.

"I am obviously ecstatic to have succeeded, but this swim is a triumph and a tragedy. A triumph that I could swim in such ferocious conditions but a tragedy that it's possible to swim at the North Pole."

Associated Press

source :
A SWIM AT THE NORTH POLE
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:39 am
Now that is real science.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:06 am
okie wrote :

Quote:

i wonder what okie says when landslides and earthquakes occur , when glaciers melt and animal species are wiped out ?
might it be : "oh , that's just a strange occurence . nothing to worry about ; it's got nothing to do with science !" .

and when scientists talk about predicted dangers , he thinks they are know nothings .

i guess if there is a tornado warning , my response should be : "what tornado ? our roof hasn't blown away yet ! what do scientists know about tornadoes before they occur : NOTHING ! " .
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:04 am
hamburger wrote:
okie wrote :

Quote:

i wonder what okie says when landslides and earthquakes occur.......

Higher atmospheric CO2 levels will cause landslides and earthquakes?!

Not even that great scientist, Al Gore, predicts such eventualities.......
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:18 am
high seas :
perhaps i should have been clearer in my comments .

it just seems to me that when okie looks at scientific reports , he dismisses the scientists as not having a clue .

and if something is demonstrated or taking place , he dismises it as NOT SCIENTIFIC .

btw from what i understand , there may well be a connection between global warming causing heavy rains which may cause landslides - but i am not a scientist - so i will leave it at that .
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:23 am
Thank you, Hamburger; Okie can speak for himself - you realize he's a geologist, right? - but at least on the earthquakes this is the basic info:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/MediaAlerts/2005/2005030718522.html

Quote:
Basically, scientists understand that the friction between two moving rock faces causes them to stick and build up pressure until it overcomes the friction, moving the rock and creating an earthquake.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
Ah. NASA. Good. Let's see.....

Quote:
RETREATING GLACIERS SPUR ALASKAN EARTHQUAKES

In a new study, NASA and United States Geological Survey
(USGS) scientists found that retreating glaciers in southern
Alaska may be opening the way for future earthquakes.

The study examined the likelihood of increased earthquake
activity in southern Alaska as a result of rapidly melting
glaciers. As glaciers melt they lighten the load on the
Earth's crust. Tectonic plates, that are mobile pieces of the
Earth's crust, can then move more freely. The study appears
in the July issue of the Journal of Global and Planetary
Change.

Jeanne Sauber of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,
Greenbelt, Md., and Bruce Molnia, a research geologist at
USGS, Reston, Va., used NASA satellite and global positioning
system receivers, as well as computer models, to study
movements of Earth's plates and shrinking glaciers in the
area.

"Historically, when big ice masses started to retreat, the
number of earthquakes increased," Sauber said. "More than
10,000 years ago, at the end of the great ice age, big
earthquakes occurred in Scandinavia as the large glaciers
began to melt. In Canada, many more moderate earthquakes
occurred as ice sheets melted there," she added.

clickediclick
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:02 am
Old Europe - perhaps the law suits you better than scientific measurements Smile

The Richter scale is logarithmic; motions of the tectonic plates can't even begin to compare with motions resulting from increasing atmospheric pressure, melting snows, rainfall, or other sources of pressure on the top earth layers and the difference is of over 10 orders of magnitude.

Pls stop this nonsense, or at least learn the difference between one order of magnitude and the next - especially on logarithmic scales!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:02 am
old europe wrote :

Quote:
In a new study, NASA and United States Geological Survey
(USGS) scientists found that retreating glaciers in southern
Alaska may be opening the way for future earthquakes.

...NASA and United States Geological Survey ... ?
have they been accepted by okie as having "scientific knowledge" ?
perhaps we'll find out soon Laughing .
(glad i'm not a scientist - i can plead simple ignorance .
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:03 am
Kindly refer to previous reply, Hamburger - applies to you as well.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:10 am
high seas wrote :

Quote:
Old Europe - perhaps the law suits you better than scientific measurements

The Richter scale is logarithmic; motions of the tectonic plates can't even begin to compare with motions resulting from increasing atmospheric pressure, melting snows, rainfall, or other sources of pressure on the top earth layers and the difference is of over 10 orders of magnitude.

Pls stop this nonsense, or at least learn the difference between one order of magnitude and the next - especially on logarithmic scales!

may i infer from those comments that the NASA report is "nonsense" - or am i misunderstanding your comments ?
hbg
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:30 am
Hamburger - if you, Old Europe, and anyone else here who cannot understand mathematical terms would kindly look them up before making a total fool of himself it would expedite matters.

Quote:
Earthquake Severity
Richter Earthquake
Magnitudes Effects

Less than 3.5 Generally not felt, but recorded.

3.5-5.4 Often felt, but rarely causes damage.

Under 6.0 At most slight damage to well-designed buildings.
Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings
over small regions.

6.1-6.9 Can be destructive in areas up to about 100 kilometers
across where people live.

7.0-7.9 Major earthquake. Can cause serious damage over larger areas.

8 or greater Great earthquake. Can cause serious damage in areas several
hundred kilometers across.

If that's not clear either, try this:

Quote:
I. People do not feel any Earth movement.
II. A few people might notice movement if they are at rest and/or on the upper floors of tall buildings.
III. Many people indoors feel movement. Hanging objects swing back and forth. People outdoors might not realize that an earthquake is occurring.
IV. Most people indoors feel movement. Hanging objects swing. Dishes, windows, and doors rattle. The earthquake feels like a heavy truck hitting the walls. A few people outdoors may feel movement. Parked cars rock.
V. Almost everyone feels movement. Sleeping people are awakened. Doors swing open or close. Dishes are broken. Pictures on the wall move. Small objects move or are turned over. Trees might shake. Liquids might spill out of open containers.
VI. Everyone feels movement. People have trouble walking. Objects fall from shelves. Pictures fall off walls. Furniture moves. Plaster in walls might crack. Trees and bushes shake. Damage is slight in poorly built buildings. No structural damage.
VII. People have difficulty standing. Drivers feel their cars shaking. Some furniture breaks. Loose bricks fall from buildings. Damage is slight to moderate in well-built buildings; considerable in poorly built buildings.
VIII. Drivers have trouble steering. Houses that are not bolted down might shift on their foundations. Tall structures such as towers and chimneys might twist and fall. Well-built buildings suffer slight damage. Poorly built structures suffer severe damage. Tree branches break. Hillsides might crack if the ground is wet. Water levels in wells might change.
IX. Well-built buildings suffer considerable damage. Houses that are not bolted down move off their foundations. Some underground pipes are broken. The ground cracks. Reservoirs suffer serious damage.
X. Most buildings and their foundations are destroyed. Some bridges are destroyed. Dams are seriously damaged. Large landslides occur. Water is thrown on the banks of canals, rivers, lakes. The ground cracks in large areas. Railroad tracks are bent slightly.
XI. Most buildings collapse. Some bridges are destroyed. Large cracks appear in the ground. Underground pipelines are destroyed. Railroad tracks are badly bent.
XII. Almost everything is destroyed. Objects are thrown into the air. The ground moves in waves or ripples. Large amounts of rock may move.

Perhaps some elementary arithmetic may be assumed - though given the depths of ignorance displayed by some here said assumption seems overoptimistic - so: the first few numbers in both the Richter and Mercalli scales refer to ground effects relating to changes in atmospheric pressures and ground cover, while the higher magnitudes - logarithmic, got that, meaning that 12 is NOT equal to 2x6 !! - refer to movements of tectonic plates.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:38 am
High Seas wrote:

Perhaps some elementary arithmetic may be assumed - though given the depths of ignorance displayed by some here said assumption seems overoptimistic - so: the first few numbers in both the Richter and Mercalli scales refer to ground effects relating to changes in atmospheric pressures and ground cover, while the higher magnitudes - logarithmic, got that, meaning that 12 is NOT equal to 2x6 !! - refer to movements of tectonic plates.

I do not see how anything you're posting is relevant to the article about Alaskan earthquakes.

Maybe you could connect the dots for me, and don't forget to call me a moron or mentally challenged.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
maporsche wrote:
High Seas wrote:

I do not see how anything you're posting is relevant to the article about Alaskan earthquakes.

Maybe you could connect the dots for me, and don't forget to call me a moron or mentally challenged.

Those of us who are mentally challenged, or morons, generally know about it and don't wait to be called those things. In any event don't wait for me to call you either one of them - I'm not a medical doctor.

If you have a question please state it plainly.
0 Replies