Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 11:10 pm
I really wonder by now, miniTAX, why you don't emigrate.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:31 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I really wonder by now, miniTAX, why you don't emigrate.
Because France is a horrible place to earn money and a nice one to spend it, Walter. It's also a place where people know how to spend good times without talking about "sujets qui fachent" (controversial subjects) :wink:
No seriously, just a temporary issue : small kids, old parents. I adapt.
Hey after all, I have survived an "unprecedented" global warming those last decades , haven't I ?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:35 am
minitax quoted :
Quote:

i'm not sure what you want me to read into that .
personally , i want the insurance company that underwrites my risk to be strong and profitable .
one that loses money may also not be able to pay my claim .
since we are free to choose between various insurers offering varying premiums for the risk to be covered - and since we can usually also "self-insure" or go without it - , i certainly see nothing wrong with lloyd's or any other insurance company making a healthy profit .
(i believe it's all part of a "free market" , isn't it ? Laughing )

certainly in canada , insurance companies have to offer competetive premiums and - something equally important - good claim service or their customers will leave them .
(speaking personally , i've never hesitated to change house or car insurance if i wasn't happy with the premiums or service provided by any insurance company.)

again , i'm perfectly happy with lloyd's making a healthy profit .
if they are piling up losses , that's when i start worrying .
hbg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:06 am
hamburger wrote:
minitax quoted :
Quote:

i'm not sure what you want me to read into that .
personally , i want the insurance company that underwrites my risk to be strong and profitable .
one that loses money may also not be able to pay my claim .
since we are free to choose between various insurers offering varying premiums for the risk to be covered - and since we can usually also "self-insure" or go without it - , i certainly see nothing wrong with lloyd's or any other insurance company making a healthy profit .
(i believe it's all part of a "free market" , isn't it ? Laughing )

certainly in canada , insurance companies have to offer competetive premiums and - something equally important - good claim service or their customers will leave them .
(speaking personally , i've never hesitated to change house or car insurance if i wasn't happy with the premiums or service provided by any insurance company.)

again , i'm perfectly happy with lloyd's making a healthy profit .
if they are piling up losses , that's when i start worrying .
hbg

The only problem with insurance companies is that often you don't know that they won't pay your claim until AFTER the disaster and at that point switching to another insurance company after the fact will not help you.

I agree that if they charge too much or if they don't pay claims customers will leave, but how does that help those customers who don't have their claims paid? How does that help me when MY house gets burnt down? Sure, they'll lose my business in the future, but what about my $300k house that I'm in the hole for because I thought my insurance company would cover the loss, after all that's what I've been paying them for right? The consumer needs protections here.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:17 am
maporsche wrote :

Quote:
The only problem with insurance companies is that often you don't know that they won't pay your claim until AFTER the disaster and at that point switching to another insurance company after the fact will not help you.

I agree that if they charge too much or if they don't pay claims customers will leave, but how does that help those customers who don't have their claims paid? How does that help me when MY house gets burnt down? Sure, they'll lose my business in the future, but what about my $300k house that I'm in the hole for because I thought my insurance company would cover the loss, after all that's what I've been paying them for right? The consumer needs protections here.

i certainly agree with you : consumer protection laws are vital !
i'm sure you've noticed that there are others on a2k who don't like the idea of governmants getting involved in "business" .
i've always found that having a good and trustworthy insurance broker is the first line of defence for the customer . i have indeed had my broker steer me away from cheaper insurance that he thought did not provide good customer service .

like in many other things : if you're getting something on the cheap , it often turns out to be cheap .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:18 am
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:32 am
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
You won't get any money if the insurance company is broke, but you will get satisfaction that you won the case

do you think you'll get a lawyer to wave the fee if the insurance company is broke Laughing Question

to the best of my knowledge , there have been no problems with insurance companies going broke and being unable to pay for several decades in canada .
any insurance company wanting to do business in canada , has to pass pretty strict government inspection before being issued a license .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:38 am
hamburger wrote:
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
You won't get any money if the insurance company is broke, but you will get satisfaction that you won the case

do you think you'll get a lawyer to wave the fee if the insurance company is broke Laughing Question

to the best of my knowledge , there have been no problems with insurance companies going broke and being unable to pay for several decades in canada .
any insurance company wanting to do business in canada , has to pass pretty strict government inspection before being issued a license .
hbg

I think you'd better be able to pay huge fees out of pocket for your lawyer because you sure won't get one on a contingency basis if the insurance company is broke. Smile

Most U.S. companies are completely solvent as well because they do base the fees on the basis of the perils they are covering in return for that fee. So those who have valid claims are getting paid. Both in Canada and the USA, however, insurance companies could easily go broke if the government or courts start ordering them to pay for damages for which the policy holders have not paid premiums or if the government should attempt to make the insurance companies assume unacceptable risk for too little compensation.

My point was that too often people poorly understand what they are buying with an insurance policy and that doesn't translate into the insurance companies being big bad evil bogeymen when they don't pay for a peril that is not covered by a particular policy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:15 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Most U.S. companies are completely solvent as well because they do base the fees on the basis of the perils they are covering in return for that fee. So those who have valid claims are getting paid. Both in Canada and the USA, however, insurance companies could easily go broke if the government or courts start ordering them to pay for damages for which the policy holders have not paid premiums or if the government should attempt to make the insurance companies assume unacceptable risk for too little compensation.

I suppose, even for that scenario they've got their reassurer in the background.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:18 am
If they are required to pay claims they don't owe, no reinsurer will have anything to do with them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:34 am
Foxfyre wrote:
If they are required to pay claims they don't owe, no reinsurer will have anything to do with them.

Such can be done only by law. And then they (the insurance companies) can certainly insure themselves against this risk.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:50 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Such can be done only by law. And then they (the insurance companies) can certainly insure themselves against this risk.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:58 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Maybe in Germany. But certainly not here. Insurance companies pull out of states all the time when the policies or rates make it too risky for them to write insurance there.

That's something different.

I was responding to your ... they are required to pay claims they don't owe
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
Who is going to insure an insurance company to pay claims they don't owe? I don't know of any. That would be a fascinating concept, however.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:18 pm
Question

You wrote:
Quote:
Insurance companies pull out of states all the time when the policies or rates make it too risky for them to write insurance there.

I agree - well kind of. Here, they just don't insure some risks anymore.

Again:

- I was referring to your:
"If they are required to pay claims they don't owe, no reinsurer will have anything to do with them."

- Before someone - e.g. "the state" - requires such, there has to be some legal procedure. If the insurer stil wants to sell his insurances - he'll certainly can reinsure that.

No court would rule that he had to pay for something which he had insured.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm
I'm sorry Walter. I don't understand what you're saying. All I am saying is that there is no insurance company anywhere that is going to write reinsurance for a company for coverages the primary insuror doesn't insure. There is absolutely no way to even calculate a premium for such a thing, and nobody, not the richest company in the world, could afford a premium sufficient to cover all unknown perils.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:31 pm
Yes, you're right.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:55 pm
Tks for reply, MiniTax, and sorry, Foxfyre, that I had no time to translate:)

This is a good article (in English!) from the latest Economic Review >
http://www.econlib.org/library/Columns/y2007/Jasaytragicomedy.html
> about French politics - the author agrees with MiniTax....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:00 pm
High Seas wrote:
Tks for reply, MiniTax, and sorry, Foxfyre, that I had no time to translate:)

This is a good article (in English!) from the latest Economic Review >
http://www.econlib.org/library/Columns/y2007/Jasaytragicomedy.html
> about French politics - the author agrees with MiniTax....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:02 pm
Anthony de Jasay is indeed one of the foremost liberal philosophers.
0 Replies