Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:56 am
From the Albuquerque Journal (06.07.07, pages A1 & A10)

http://i9.tinypic.com/2iik1zs.jpg

Quote:
Friday, April 6, 2007

Permanent Dust Bowl Could Be N.M. Future

http://i13.tinypic.com/4d7d4ba.jpg

Friday, April 6, 2007

Quote:
Dry March Depletes State's Surplus Water

By John Fleck

New Mexico's snowpack took a dive in March, leading to a grim forecast of droughtlike runoff into the state's reservoirs this year.
A bonus left by wet weather in December and January is largely gone, thanks to a March that was warm and very dry.
"We really started off great guns," said Richard Armijo, a snow surveyor with the Natural Resources Conservation Service. "The thinking back then was 'It's going to be a really great season.' ''
But the storms slowed and the temperature warmed, depriving the region of the steady one or two storms a week needed to build a useful snowpack.
"You need a consistent winter season," said Ed Polasko, a hydrologist with the National Weather Service. "You can't take a month off and have a normal water supply. We took most of the month of March off."
When Armijo went Sunday to Elk Cabin, a snow measurement site in the Sangre de Cristos above Santa Fe, no snow was left to measure.
"It was gone," Armijo said.
Flow on the Rio Grande past Otowi in northern New Mexico is forecast to be 38 percent below normal, according to Tom Pagano, runoff forecaster at the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
By the time the Rio Grande reaches Elephant Butte, New Mexico's largest storage reservoir, the flow is forecast to be 54 percent below average.
The reservoir held just 48 percent of its normal supply on Sunday.
As a result, it is likely to drop low enough by late April or May that it will trigger rules preventing most upstream New Mexico water storage, according to Rolf Schmidt-Petersen at the New Mexico Interstate Stream Commission. If that happens, all the water in the state's rivers must be sent straight downstream to Elephant Butte to meet New Mexico's legal obligations to Texas.
Upstream from Elephant Butte, conditions are better. El Vado Reservoir, where water is stored for irrigation in the Middle Rio Grande Valley, was slightly above normal Sunday.
Navajo Reservoir, on the San Juan River in northwest New Mexico, was 30 percent above average.
Despite the poor runoff forecast, there should be enough water in storage for New Mexico's water users to get what they need this year, Schmidt-Petersen said. That is considerably better than last year, he said, when almost no snow fell.
But there will be little water left in storage if there's another dry winter in 2007-08. Forecasters said this week that the Pacific Ocean is headed into a La Niña, a cool water pattern that tends to bring dry winters here.
"What happens next year?" Schmidt-Petersen asked.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:57 am
But such like above won't be published: the presentation of the next part of the IPPC report, which should have been presented this morning (in Paris) already, has been postponed and passages -like above mentioned- had been withdrawn by wish of the American government.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:10 am
walter

When you come here in summer, bring a pitchfork. We'll walk to DC, gathering up folks along the way. A crusade.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:22 am
These forks are made for walking ...

I'm ready

http://i10.tinypic.com/2wf09zl.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:27 am
Close, but a tad too civilized. My preference would be to go with something more along the lines of "the red foulfury of the Seine running riot"
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72011&start=3020
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:05 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
From the Albuquerque Journal (06.07.07, pages A1 & A10)

http://i9.tinypic.com/2iik1zs.jpg

Quote:
Friday, April 6, 2007

Permanent Dust Bowl Could Be N.M. Future

This is exactly the kind of long range global computer simulation that is known to yield meaningless, and utterly unreliable results by serious scientists. Moreover the reasons for this - both theoretical and practical - are well-understood and widely published. Those tempted to belierve this kind of fraudulent self-promotion and propagandizing should recall that the current wave of cold weather now covering the northeastern U.S. (I'm in Washington now) was not predicrted as recently as two weeks ago. Given that, why should any thinking person rely on a similar numerical extrapolation reaching out more than a century?

The most interesting feature of the article is the silence of impartial scirentists who know better than to spout such nonsense.

Water shortages in the American Southwest have been a more or less permanent fact of life for the last 50 years - a period during which the population of the region has grown more than ten-fold and readily extractable sources of groundwater have been depleted.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:22 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Water shortages in the American Southwest have been a more or less permanent fact of life for the last 50 years - a period during which the population of the region has grown more than ten-fold and readily extractable sources of groundwater have been depleted.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that just because much of the Southwest has always been a desert, this means there has always been a water shortage there? No way, José!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:29 am
georgeob1 wrote:
The most interesting feature of the article is the silence of impartial scirentists who know better than to spout such nonsense.

Actually, your administration already reacted to that: it isn't publihed (so drastically) in the new IPPC report. (At least, that's what said: the report still isn't out - should have happened more than six hours ago.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:05 am
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:17 am
Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Wait a minute! Are you saying that just because much of the Southwest has always been a desert, this means there has always been a water shortage there? No way, José!

Walter, who knows better, continues to paste this GW propaganda here. Now Thomas, at his Bavarian best, sticks his libertarian finger in my eye! What's with you guys?? I'm a patient, fairly easy-going friend. Do I deserve this??
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:23 am
Quote:
Do I deserve this??

If suffered, then deserved. Our god is a just god.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:25 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Do I deserve this??

If suffered, then deserved. Our god is a just god.

Et tu Bernie?

Yeah, but mine is Catholic!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
But your and my Pope is German!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:30 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But your and my Pope is German!

Laughing Laughing

Good one! OK, I forgive you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:31 am
Mine is not. I spent a good portion of my earlier live in pursuit of a relationship with god. That pursuit was realized. In the end, we were both disappointed.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:39 am
just listening to the weather network this morning .
a climatologist was asked how come that we can't rely on the forcast to tell us precisely what the weather is going to be tomorrow when there are are long-range predictions being made for the next 100 years .
he explained - quite well , i thought - that short-term forcasts and long-term predictions are two completely different branches of the science of climatology .

btw the long-term predictions are that the prairies and northern canada might possibly benefit from global warming by giving longer grain-growing seasons to the prairies . a rise in the sea-level on the other hand would be disastrous to the maritime provinces .

watched an interesting program about "greening of industries" on CBC-TV . several business leaders were interviewed about possible effects on their business if they had to cut pollution . while some thought it would devastate their business , two stated that by cutting pollution and energy use they had increased profits considerably .
one was a carpet manufacturer with several plants throughout the u.s. and canada , who stated that he had been very sceptical when starting "to green" his business ; he was surprised to see how quickly the efforts started to pay off . in his opinion many businesses are simply too set in their way and therefor unwilling to adapt .

also watched a program on CNBC this morning - a rerun , i believe- that showed how american airlines when faced with serious business difficulties had instituted a rigorous cost-cutting program which also resulted in reduced pollution by reducing fuel consumption .
they explained that by practicing weight-reduction - by eliminating magazines , reducing the water carried onboard , calculating amount of fuel required for each flight etcc - they had managed to cut costs - and also fuel consumption - greatly.
as the speaker said : "we saved a few million dollars , $25 at a time !" .

imo reducing the waste of resources over time can yield substanbtial benefits for all of us .

but also saw on this morning's news that martha stewart has travelled to kazakhstan (?) to see her boyfriend take off on a private spaceflight .
i wonder if martha is going to bring the benefits of her housekeeping advice to borat's home-country Laughing Question

that's it - in a nutshell .
hbg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
hamburger wrote:
a climatologist was asked how come that we can't rely on the forcast to tell us precisely what the weather is going to be tomorrow when there are are long-range predictions being made for the next 100 years .
he explained - quite well , i thought - that short-term forcasts and long-term predictions are two completely different branches of the science of climatology .

This is true only to the extent that you consider speculation to be science. The numerical integratuion of the highly non-linear dynamic and state equations of the atmosdphere and ocean currents, to create a prediction of a future state based on presumed initial conditions is known to be subject to chaos -- in the short term and beyond. Period. End of story.

Certainly one bent on selling his long term speculations and lending them the aura of science is, providing he is talented enough, is likely to be persuasive -- particuly if he is assisted by a growing public neurosis anout a fantasy that can neither be seen nor verified in personal experience.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:00 am
blatham wrote:
Mine is not. I spent a good portion of my earlier live in pursuit of a relationship with god. That pursuit was realized. In the end, we were both disappointed.

I'm confident Bernie that, except for a few minor bad habits, He thinks quite well of you. Hell, even I do !
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:03 am
link : MARTHA STEWART PICKS SPACE-PALS MENU

Quote:
Stewart chose the menu for a gourmet meal that Simonyi will be taking to the ISS as a treat for his comrades in space. They plan a celebratory feast for April 12, which Russia observes as Cosmonauts' Day.

The menu includes quail roasted in Madiran wine, duck breast confit with capers, shredded chicken parmentier, apple fondant pieces, rice pudding with candied fruit, and semolina cake with dried apricots.

next time we fly , i want martha to prepare my "space menu" - no more $5 dried out panini from the north-west airlines kitchen(did i say "kitchen Shocked ) Laughing .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:06 am
hamburger wrote:

I wonder what a meteorologist had anwered :wink:

(At least as far I know and how the European scientic and academical hierachy is structured, meteorology is the science about short term weather, weather processes and forecasting - while climatology studies the frequency and trends of those systems.)
0 Replies