Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:29 pm
Whatever one may think of Spencer's views on intelligent design, he is a reputable climatologist, judging by this Google Scholar search. He has published in the leading, peer reviewed, scientific journals of his field, including Science magazine. I agree with Foxfyre here: Spencer's opinion about intelligent design are irrelevant here. And his credentials as a scientist make him an adequate counterexample to the claim that a scientific consensus supports the notion of catastrophic global warming. (The operative word being "catastrophic".)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:33 pm
Thank you Thomas. Even when we fight, you keep renewing my faith that there are still people left who can be on different sides of an issue and continue to discuss it reasonably.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
Thomas wrote:
Whatever one may think of Spencer's views on intelligent design, he is a reputable climatologist, judging by this Google Scholar search. He has published in the leading, peer reviewed, scientific journals of his field, including Science magazine. I agree with Foxfyre here: Spencer's opinion about intelligent design are irrelevant here. And his credentials as a scientist make him an adequate counterexample to the claim that a scientific consensus supports the notion of catastrophic global warming. (The operative word being "catastrophic".)

Absolutely. Just thought I'd point up the chaps our (well qualified) fellow hangs out with.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
blatham wrote:
Absolutely. Just thought I'd point up the chaps our (well qualified) fellow hangs out with.

Oh I see. So there's no guilt by association thing going on here, any more than with Foxfyre, Gore, and Hansen.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:26 pm
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:

Oh I see. So there's no guilt by association thing going on here, any more than with Foxfyre, Gore, and Hansen.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 06:00 pm
Thomas wrote:
... And his credentials as a scientist make him an adequate counterexample to the claim that a scientific consensus supports the notion of catastrophic global warming. (The operative word being "catastrophic".)

I believe that is the essential point in this increasingly absurd controversy -- i.e. catastrophic warming. It is unfortunate that the truly interesting and serious question of the increase in CO2 emissions to the atmosphere by human activity is so needlessly clouded with scientifically unsupported claims of tipping points and sudden climactic reversals, and, as well, by the unnecessary denial of the other relatively greater natural factors affecting the result, including atmospheric water vapor and solar activity.

There are many catastrophies that could happen, ranging from the sudden weakening of the earth's magnetic field, to a large meteorite impact, to unusual volcanic activity, or even an ice age inducing decrease in solar activity. However, we don't have any scientific ability to forecast the relative likelihoods of these events or the catastrophes so thoughtlessly predicted by the AGW cultists. That is a less dramatic than the story being sold by Al Gore and British bureaucrats, but it is the truth.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
Walter & Thomas, shame on you guys for wanting to kill a helpless polar bear! If polar bears are going extinct, this isn't going to help.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260122,00.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:34 am
You think, Thomas and I are feeding him or that one of us is this animal-rights activist who insisted the little bear would have been better off dead than raised by humans?

It's not quite clear for me what you accuse us to do or not to do .... and why you do so: neither Thomas nor I are neither extreme animal rightists nor zoo wardens.

And this is related to climate change exactly how? Too hot/cold in the Berlin zoos due to it?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:39 am
Wheres your sense of humor, Walter? I realize you wouldn't do that.

Polar bears are going extinct due to climate change, supposedly, so I thought this thread was appropriate.

Next time you think of us Americans as all being wasteful, remember that.

I would use one of those smiley face icons more to help indicate something is said in humor, but I do not like them at all, even though I have been known to post them once in a while.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:48 am
okie wrote:

Polar bears are going extinct due to climate change, supposedly, so I thought this thread was appropriate.

In zoos?

I mean, I certainly would discuss what and why polar bears are kept and how in zoos (they do that quite well in Berlin, I think).

Besides that: humour here on this thread with those regulars here? Never.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:43 pm
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:

You expect integrity in a situation as dire as this?! Cast off your romantic effluvium and join us down here with the cabbages and slop.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:45 pm
What aspect of "the situation" is so dire. To what are you referring?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:17 pm
blatham wrote:
You expect integrity in a situation as dire as this?! Cast off your romantic effluvium and join us down here with the cabbages and slop.
No, I DON'T want to join your campaign in such un-romantic conditions http://images.forum-auto.com/images/perso/enron.gif

http://homepage.mac.com/cptchaz/iblog/C1200806250/E20070317115211/Media/snow.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:17 pm
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/jh/2007/jh070324.gif
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:33 pm
Hmm, everyone should mind her/his own business at first?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:40 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hmm, everyone should mind her/his own business at first?

If he was operating on that principle he would sell his SUV, move into a much smaller house, and start taking the bus or train instead of jetting all over the world.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
Well, the green electricity he uses is a start, n'est-ce pas?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 03:20 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, the green electricity he uses is a start, n'est-ce pas?
What green electricity ? In his lush neighbourhood, it is forbidden as yet to install solar panels ! The green part of his electricity is heavily subsided anyway. And he has a no-cow-fart-gaz bill of 1000$/month ! And he buys his carbon offfsets from his own company, in fact, no, he doesn't buy them, his company give him them.
This guy is a crook with a D in science. Just for that, I admire the American people for not electing him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:55 am
Well, I didn't say anything about what you mentioned but that it was "green electricity".

You hardly can blame a conservative town council for not allowing photovoltaiks - or do you? Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:56 am
miniTAX wrote:

This guy is a crook with a D in science. Just for that, I admire the American people for not electing him.

Any idea what the other presidents/presidential candidates got in science?

(As an aside: do they use those alphabeth marks in France now as well?)
0 Replies