Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

georgeob1

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:52 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, I didn't say anything about what you mentioned but that it was "green electricity".

You hardly can blame a conservative town council for not allowing photovoltaiks - or do you? Laughing

But it isn't always "conservative towns that do this. Teddy Kennedy sponsored legislatiion that prohibited the development of wind farms in the off shore area of Cape Cod (an otherwise advantageous location) becuse if the eyesore it would create for the very rich and very left wing inhabitants of the rather exclusive place. Hypocrisy aboubnds among the followers of the fashionable GW cult.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:54 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
But it isn't always "conservative towns that do this.

Certainly not, and didn't say so.

However, Gore will get it soon - after the gigahype they'll allow it now.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 04:11 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(As an aside: do they use those alphabeth marks in France now as well?)
No, we "still" use marks from 0 to 20/20.
As for Bush Jr, do you know he is from Harvard and has won a contest in ... language "elonquency". Years of booze have taken their toll :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 04:22 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/varv032307a.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 12:53 am
http://i12.tinypic.com/2zr3kav.jpghttp://i11.tinypic.com/2vwflmo.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/405cadk.jpg

source (printed version, pages 6 & 7): The Guardian: Fighting for air: frontline of war on global warming

Quote:
The effects have been dramatic. By 2009 China is predicted to overtake the United States as the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases. India has recently become the fourth biggest polluter, but its steeply rising emissions will see it in third place within a few years.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 01:13 am
Interesting report in the same paper's G2 section:

Quote:
Why TV weather forecasters don't mention the warming

Mark Lawson
Monday March 26, 2007
The Guardian

Just as world cups - even without murder investigations - are good news for sports broadcasters, bringing their subject to a wider audience than usual, so global warming should be the best thing that has happened to weather forecasting. And yet what ought to be a golden age of the TV meteorologist clearly isn't. The star names of the art - Bill Giles, Ian McCaskill, Michael Fish, Ulrika Jonsson, John Kettley - are all retired or redeployed from their television maps.

Is it really possible to imagine any of the current cloud-spotters - Philip Avery, Rob McElwee, Alex Deakin, Elizabeth Saary - becoming a sufficient post-weather celebrity to front a peak-time documentary called Am I a Sex Addict? in the way that Ulrika did last week? Or becoming the subject of a hit single, such as John Kettley Is a Weatherman by a Tribe of Toffs?
But this cloud over television's shortest yet most watched programmes has been caused by two aspects of broadcasting policy. The first was a decision to put technology before personality, typified by the BBC's spectacular but still largely incomprehensible virtual weather map. One reason Francis Wilson makes less impact at Sky is that he stands in front of a wall of dissolving images, which, like the BBC's operatic technology, leaves the viewer unsure whether it all means that sweaters should be worn in Nuneaton.

A bigger problem, though, is that TV meteorologists are discouraged - by convention and regulatory guidelines - from editorialising about the weather. If a February heatwave is followed by an arctic March, with days in between on which Noah would feel at home, these can only be presented as "bit of a surprise for the time of year" or "seasonal extremes". The forecasters are not allowed to talk about the most important part of their story, which is why the weather might be happening.

It's as if the sports programmes were only allowed to say that Bob Woolmer was "unexpectedly unavailable" to coach the next Pakistani game. Just as the subject of weather gets really hot, TV restricts itself to cold technology and facts.

That's certainly focused only on the situation in the UK.
(Bob Woolmer was murdered a couple of days ago.)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 03:19 am
Entertain the notion that global warming is a natural trend and you still have to look at the human factors. Technology etc. You can't say that we aren't putting an unatural amount of carbon in the atmosphere. you can't deny a temperature trend. You can't deny how this trend is affecting the climate of the earth.

People argue that the global average temp is not a function of CO2 that it is quite the opposite. I just can't buy that. If that were the case we could recreate an experiment in a lab enviroment where CO2 is produced by a change in temp.

Global Warming is real.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 05:59 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Global Warming is real.

From today's Albuquerque Journal (page 6) :wink:

http://i12.tinypic.com/4bstzya.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 08:16 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Entertain the notion that global warming is a natural trend and you still have to look at the human factors. Technology etc. You can't say that we aren't putting an unatural amount of carbon in the atmosphere. you can't deny a temperature trend. You can't deny how this trend is affecting the climate of the earth.

People argue that the global average temp is not a function of CO2 that it is quite the opposite. I just can't buy that. If that were the case we could recreate an experiment in a lab enviroment where CO2 is produced by a change in temp.

Global Warming is real.

Not produced by a change in temperature. But possibily (and realistically) released from the ice and soil and water due to a change in temperature.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:17 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Interesting report in the same paper's G2 section:

Quote:
Why TV weather forecasters don't mention the warming

Mark Lawson
Monday March 26, 2007
The Guardian

Just as world cups - even without murder investigations - are good news for sports broadcasters, bringing their subject to a wider audience than usual, so global warming should be the best thing that has happened to weather forecasting. And yet what ought to be a golden age of the TV meteorologist clearly isn't. The star names of the art - Bill Giles, Ian McCaskill, Michael Fish, Ulrika Jonsson, John Kettley - are all retired or redeployed from their television maps.

Is it really possible to imagine any of the current cloud-spotters - Philip Avery, Rob McElwee, Alex Deakin, Elizabeth Saary - becoming a sufficient post-weather celebrity to front a peak-time documentary called Am I a Sex Addict? in the way that Ulrika did last week? Or becoming the subject of a hit single, such as John Kettley Is a Weatherman by a Tribe of Toffs?
But this cloud over television's shortest yet most watched programmes has been caused by two aspects of broadcasting policy. The first was a decision to put technology before personality, typified by the BBC's spectacular but still largely incomprehensible virtual weather map. One reason Francis Wilson makes less impact at Sky is that he stands in front of a wall of dissolving images, which, like the BBC's operatic technology, leaves the viewer unsure whether it all means that sweaters should be worn in Nuneaton.

A bigger problem, though, is that TV meteorologists are discouraged - by convention and regulatory guidelines - from editorialising about the weather. If a February heatwave is followed by an arctic March, with days in between on which Noah would feel at home, these can only be presented as "bit of a surprise for the time of year" or "seasonal extremes". The forecasters are not allowed to talk about the most important part of their story, which is why the weather might be happening.

It's as if the sports programmes were only allowed to say that Bob Woolmer was "unexpectedly unavailable" to coach the next Pakistani game. Just as the subject of weather gets really hot, TV restricts itself to cold technology and facts.

That's certainly focused only on the situation in the UK.
(Bob Woolmer was murdered a couple of days ago.)

Real meteoroligists know that they can't predict the weather beyond a few daya, and that they do not relly understand or know just what are or will be the one to five year trends in the weather or why.

Only the GW cultists believe this information is known and available. Unfortunately that is a lie.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:31 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Real meteoroligists know that they can't predict the weather beyond a few daya, and that they do not relly understand or know just what are or will be the one to five year trends in the weather or why.

Only the GW cultists believe this information is known and available. Unfortunately that is a lie.

I didn't think that weather forecast was the topic of this column.

But that night certainly have been so.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
http://i12.tinypic.com/2zr3kav.jpghttp://i11.tinypic.com/2vwflmo.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/405cadk.jpg

Emission of CO2 per capita:
China: 400 kg/year
Germany : 10.000 kg/year

Spew, the Chinese man, spew et don't listen to the Western Green men :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:45 am
Walter - Great Find.

FoxFire - I am aware that antaognist of GW talk about C02 in ice etc. There certainly is truth in this, I'd amount the raise in CO2 levels in the past (the pattern) to exactly that. What concerns me is that we are adding to that so much chemical bi-product etc.

Imagine after another ice age the concentration of CO2 in that ice. one cubic acre of ice may hold 100x the C02 while it thaws slowly over it's existance.

That once natural pattern is being affected by humans.

George - GW isn't a exact science designed to tell you the exact day of any meteological event. It is a larer picture view of how human elements have altered the natural patern of the earth's climate and what kinds of effects it will have.

for instance. If glacial ice from Antartica and Greenland were to rapidly thaw, can you tell me how you would displace the Billions of coastal resdents on all of the continents?

Real Meteorologists make weather predictions in far advance of a few days. Ask a weather man if next year it will snow in Missouri, he wil say yes. Ask one in Oklahoma if there will be tornadoes in the future, they will say yes. How do they know? It's a pattern. they don't ned to know the exact minute they wil strike a year from now, but they can exact it to within two months (a conservative guess) I bet.

"GW cultists?"... Whatever. Keep your ead in the sand all you like, by time you pull it out, the shoreline will have recieded. Enjoy your swim.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

I didn't think that weather forecast was the topic of this column.

But that night certainly have been so.

The columnist was advocating that weather forecasts become less "technical" and include more propaganda about climactic trends and why they are occurring.

Unfortunately that information is not known by science - only the true believing cultists have access to that kind of certainty.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:48 am
georgeob1 wrote:

I find the long range weather forecast technique of solar physicist Piers Corbyn really convincing. And he has proof of its superiority.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:56 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Real Meteorologists make weather predictions in far advance of a few days. Ask a weather man if next year it will snow in Missouri, he wil say yes. Ask one in Oklahoma if there will be tornadoes in the future, they will say yes. How do they know? It's a pattern. they don't ned to know the exact minute they wil strike a year from now, but they can exact it to within two months (a conservative guess) I bet.
For the moment, a usable weather forecast (or "skill) does not exceed ONE week. As to climate prediction, look at the exceptionnally LOW 2006 hurricane season nobody predict just 2 months in advance despite huge manpower and financial means devoted to its forecast for the sole Atlantic-Caraibean bassin.
They can't even predict El Nino-La Nina, a large scale climatic event which can add 1°C to global temperature in 1998.

A 2 month forecast is just an academia exercice. Don't bet on it, you'll lose!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:06 am
Fair enough. I just object to the notion that GW is a shot in the dark.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:30 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Fair enough. I just object to the notion that GW is a shot in the dark.

Depends on what you mean by "shot in the dark".

The forecasts for future calamaties, such as those in Al Gore's film, are pure speculation and have no foundation in scientific prediction. The reason is that the numerical models for predicting the dynamics of air and ocean currents are themselves unstable and subject to chaos. Their results are valid only for very short range forecasts - a fact that has amply been demonstrated in practice, as Minitax indicated.

We have been in a slight warming trend for over a century. Its origins go back to the natural end of the "Little Ice Age" of the 15th to 17th centuries. The augmentation of this warming trend by human produced greenhouse gases is a real possibility. However the relative contributions of other variables, including those 'natrural' phenomena that created previous ice ages and warm periods are not fully understood by a long shot. Human produced CO2 is a small fraction of the total, and CO2 itself is but a small fraction of the greenhouse gas in the earth's atmosphere. Ice core data show a strong correlation between atmospheric CO2 concentrations and (crude) estimates of global temperatures in the distant past. However, the cause/effect relationships are not fully understood.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:34 am
georgeob1 wrote:
The columnist was advocating that weather forecasts become less "technical" and include more propaganda about climactic trends and why they are occurring.

Unfortunately that information is not known by science - only the true believing cultists have access to that kind of certainty.

Well, I've seen (and still see) the American-style weather forcasts on various programs.

Technical, you say. Hmmm.

I've read the column again.
And still I can't find something like what you wrote.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:54 am
Walter, perhaps this excerpt will refresh your understanding.

Quote:

0 Replies