Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:01 pm
Well I think most have observed some major obtusiosity on this thread, but it hasn't been from George.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I think most have observed some major obtusiosity on this thread, but it hasn't been from George.

I'll agree with you there Fox.

We have also observed a lot of people claiming they don't know the science but that hasn't stopped them from claiming their position is better simply because they don't know it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:11 pm
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I'll agree with you there Fox.

We have also observed a lot of people claiming they don't know the science but that hasn't stopped them from claiming their position is better simply because they don't know it.

Yup. I firmly believe not knowing and knowing that you don't know is far better than thinking you know when you don't.

That's what this whole debate has been about, hasn't it? Whether the Skeptics have the edge because they are not convinced scientific conclusions are complete or accurate vs those who who are pushing so hard for the world to agree with the conclusions they have reached?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:50 pm
Arguing from ignorance is no better, if not worse, than arguing from authority.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:57 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe even the revered Thomas Aquinas would be impressed by the continued affection of the advocates of the AGW obsession for the Argument from Authority which they so fervently repeat (along with assurances that they themselves don't understand the science involved any more than they do the arcane details of Neolithic Anatolian pottery).

Again it is the psychological implications of this situation -- in which so many unquestioningly accept the prescription that mankind must abandon its modern technologies and all the progress they have brought, in order to avoid an apocalyptic doom forecast by a self-interested priesthood whose cant they don't profess to understand -- that so fascinates me.

Perhaps the true environmental; zealots will soon come up with a form of the "Rapture" in which they and other true believers will be wisked away to a celestial Marin county, just before the deserved doom engulfs the unbelieving masses.

The evangelicals of the secular left strongly resemble their close cousin opposite numbers -- though they fervently deny it.

george, george, george...those nuns didn't hit you enough.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
On the contrary. They taught me to think for myself and to doubt the cant of the "true believers" -- the fundamentalist reformers of humanity of all kinds - Protestant, Moslem, Zionist or secular.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:35 pm
pshaw

Appeal from/to authority takes this form:

John makes a claim
There's something positive about John
Therefore John's claim is true.
(eg it's true if Plato said it, or it's true if the Pope says it, or it's true if Bush says it, etc)

But it is quite a different thing to hold that where a preponderance of experts in a field concur that X is probable, then it is entirely reasonable to think that they may well have it right and less reasonable to believe that a contrarian minority has it right.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:06 pm
Yours is precisely the same argument that the Inquisition used to convict Gallaleo. Their authority was Aristotle.

(I always figured there was a Dominican dogmatist lurking in your soul)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:16 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Yours is precisely the same argument that the Inquisition used to convict Gallaleo. Their authority was Aristotle.

(I always figured there was a Dominican dogmatist lurking in your soul)

Not my argument, you nincompoop. It certainly WAS an argument from authority that was used against him, as I delineated that fallacy above. Here's the first bit of the Papal condemnation...

Quote:
Whereas you, Galileo, son of the late Vaincenzo Galilei, Florentine, aged seventy years, were in the year 1615 denounced to this Holy Office for holding as true the false doctrine taught by some that the Sun is the center of the world and immovable and that the Earth moves, and also with a diurnal motion; for having disciples to whom you taught the same doctrine; for holding correspondence with certain mathematicians of Germany concerning the same; for having printed certain letters, entitled "On the Sunspots," wherein you developed the same doctrine as true; and for replying to the objections from the Holy Scriptures, which from time to time were urged against it, by glossing the said Scriptures according to your own meaning: and whereas there was thereupon produced the copy of a document in the form of a letter, purporting to be written by you to one formerly your disciple, and in this divers propositions are set forth, following the position of Copernicus, which are contrary to the true sense and authority of Holy Scripture:
This Holy Tribunal being therefore of intention to proceed against the disorder and mischief thence resulting, which went on increasing to the prejudice of the Holy Faith, by command of His Holiness and of the Most Eminent Lords Cardinals of this supreme and universal Inquisition, the two propositions of the stability of the Sun and the motion of the Earth were by the theological Qualifiers qualified as follows:

The proposition that the Sun is the center of the world and does not move from its place is absurd and false philosophically and formally heretical, because it is expressly contrary to Holy Scripture.
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/galileo/condemnation.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:19 pm
ps... those "certain mathematicians of Germany" were undoubtedly Thomas' ancestors. Please inform your Bishop without delay.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:36 pm
blatham wrote:
pshaw

Appeal from/to authority takes this form:

John makes a claim
There's something positive about John
Therefore John's claim is true.
(eg it's true if Plato said it, or it's true if the Pope says it, or it's true if Bush says it, etc)

But it is quite a different thing to hold that where a preponderance of experts in a field concur that X is probable, then it is entirely reasonable to think that they may well have it right and less reasonable to believe that a contrarian minority has it right.

In this case (AGW) the self-styled experts have declared their predictions to be sufficiently certain as to require enough expenditure to threaten the economies of the world's developed nations and to inhibit or stop the development of poor countries where disease and poverty still rule. This is hardly mere "probability".

The Inquisition also refered to the preponderance of experts, in this case their literal interpretations of scripture and Aristotle. Gallileo represented the contrarian minority. Apart from the fact that their prose was a bit more florid and entertaining than yours, the Inquisitors argument and yours are the same. (Nincompoop indeed!!!)

You have certain agreeable qualities bernie, so I will go easy on you in this matter. I will retain my serene Jesuitical detachment -- except to note that my metaphor about the secular environmentalist rapture in a celestial Marin County was truly inspired.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
Quote:

In this case (AGW) the self-styled experts have declared their predictions to be sufficiently certain as to require enough expenditure to threaten the economies of the world's developed nations and to inhibit or stop the development of poor countries where disease and poverty still rule.

There's no exaggeration here at all?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:43 pm
Quote:
my metaphor about the secular environmentalist rapture in a celestial Marin County was truly inspired.

Your cap would not feed a angel-on-pinhead sized ungulate for more than a day, having but a single straw in it. Though I note that straw.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There's no exaggeration here at all?

I never exaggerate - well, hardly ever.

blatham wrote:

Your cap would not feed a angel-on-pinhead sized ungulate for more than a day, having but a single straw in it. Though I note that straw.

I know bernie. That means he really liked it. I did too.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:56 am
blatham wrote:

It depends on what "X" is.

I agree if "X" is the proposition: "Under business as usual, the Earth's atmosphrere will warm by an unknown amount, most likely about 5°F over the next 100 years".

I disagree if "X" is the proposition: "The prospect of global warming requires drastic changes in how we live, lest catastrophe ensue". On this point, the relevant authorities are economists, not climatologists. And if you read their peer-reviewed publications, they almost all come out with much more modest views. The consipcuous exception is the Stern Report -- which arrives at more drastic conclusions precisely because it makes a crucial non-standard assumption for economists. This assumption is that future costs and benefits are to be weighted against present costs and benefits pretty much one-to-one. Standard practice among economists is to discount future costs and benefits at the market interest rate -- and Stern departs from it for what he calls moral, not economic, reasons.

Economists who work on global warming, using standard economist procedures, don't arrive at Al Gore's doomsday predictions about the costs of doing nothing. They also don't arrive at George Bush's doomsday predictions about the cost of effective mitigation. Their work gives the impression that both global warming and reasonable anti-global-warming policies are a pretty small deal for our material well-being in 2100.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:04 am
Thomas wrote:
I agree if "X" is the proposition: "Under business as usual, the Earth's atmosphrere will warm by an unknown amount, most likely about 5°F over the next 100 years".

But business is NEVER as usual !
What the GIEC pro-interventionnists forget to say that their business as usual scenarios presume that an 2100 Earther will be 1600% ie 17x richer than now with scenarii A1B or A1FI (table 1 of this link). That is a 2100 Chinese will be richer than an 2000 American. And they conclude that's a catastrophe that must be mitigated !!!!

Besides, theses scenarios assume that CO2 emission per capita increases in an unrealistic manner (in one case +67%, in another fantasmagoric case +339%) whereas CO2 emission per capita has NOT increased over the last 20 years even with spectacular improvement in our standards of living.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:37 am
blatham wrote:

I'm afraid in my last answer to this paragraph, I got distracted from making the points I wanted to make. Here's another try.

1) Since we want science to inform our public policy, and since most citizens aren't scientists, it's inevitable that we use arguments from the authority of scientists. This is also fair, as long as the scientific community continues to allocate positions of authority to scientists who are good at figuring out facts. Currently I see no problem with this constraint.

2) It's important to keep in mind that a scientist's proper authority is limited to the specific field that he works in. This is important because global warming policies affect many scientific fields. Climatologists have authority to tell us that global warming is real, and that it's man made. Economists have expertise in answering what material damage global warming will cause, what the cost of preventing it is, and how to make good decisions under uncertainty. Neither climatologists nor economists are experts on the ethics of it all.

So even if you accept that we need arguments from authority in the global warming debate, you still have to be careful about scientists exceeding the bounds of their proper authority.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:34 am
miniTAX wrote:

I think you know what the term means in the global warming debate. Just in case you don't, it means: no change in global warming policies.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:05 am
Thomas wrote
Quote:
1) Since we want science to inform our public policy, and since most citizens aren't scientists, it's inevitable that we use arguments from the authority of scientists. This is also fair, as long as the scientific community continues to allocate positions of authority to scientists who are good at figuring out facts. Currently I see no problem with this constraint.

2) It's important to keep in mind that a scientist's proper authority is limited to the specific field that he works in. This is important because global warming policies affect many scientific fields. Climatologists have authority to tell us that global warming is real, and that it's man made. Economists have expertise in answering what material damage global warming will cause, what the cost of preventing it is, and how to make good decisions under uncertainty. Neither climatologists nor economists are experts on the ethics of it all.

So even if you accept that we need arguments from authority in the global warming debate, you still have to be careful about scientists exceeding the bounds of their proper authority.

I think we have to be careful when scientific opinion is cited with more authority than is warranted as well. Or maybe that is what you meant?

Minitax wrote
Quote:
What the GIEC pro-interventionnists forget to say that their business as usual scenarios presume that an 2100 Earther will be 1600% ie 17x richer than now with scenarii A1B or A1FI (table 1 of this link). That is a 2100 Chinese will be richer than an 2000 American. And they conclude that's a catastrophe that must be mitigated !!!!

Besides, theses scenarios assume that CO2 emission per capita increases in an unrealistic manner (in one case +67%, in another fantasmagoric case +339%) whereas CO2 emission per capita has NOT increased over the last 20 years even with spectacular improvement in our standards of living.
0 Replies