Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
parados wrote:
Yes, the heat goes somewhere else. But that is a result of heat transfer. In order for heat to go somewhere it must have somewhere colder to go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer

If it is warmer then there is LESS heat transfer. Your theory violates the second law of thermodynamics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics

Ice is NOT created if the air is warmer than water. It can't be. Simple physics makes it impossible. In order to create ice faster than before the air MUST be colder. It can't be warmer. The minute the air gets WARMER then the ice being created is reduced.

Your theory doesn't work because over 150 years of scientific theory and laws say it doesn't work. You have to remember that there is a rather large energy source, the sun, that is constantly adding energy to the system.

Then NASA is full of crap showing that the temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica has shown a small increase? That can't be happening if the interior of Anarctica is getting colder and the ice is getting thicker which they also say?

All I'm asking is a simple reason for that. And I would prefer one in which Wikipedia isn't the only source.

No, NASA isn't full of crap. Their theory FOLLOWS the 2nd law. Your theory violates it. The center of Antartica is land, unlike the areas that are warming over water. I used wikipedia because it is halfway easy to understand.

Here is another source for the laws of dynamics
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6e.html

There are thousands of sources for it. It doesn't change from source to source.

Here is information on heat conduction.
http://www.peoplephysics.com/physics-laws6.html#19
Again, it doesn't change. Heat always flows from the warmer to the cooler when they are in direct contact. Nasa's theory follows this. The converse, your theory, would violate it. Precipitation doesn't occur at the surface. It occurs high in the air. The precipitation would have lost its heat by the time it gets to the surface.

The ice in the center of Antartica is getting thicker. Because that ice is on land, the only way for it to get thicker is from precipitation. The ice then flows out to the sea pushed by the weight.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:12 pm
Of course, I am suspicious of Foxfyre because she proposed a theory that doesn't support global warming. Rolling Eyes

Maybe we should trust the scientists a little more because at least their theories don't violate the basic laws of science. They are honest enough to say they haven't tested them yet so can't be certain.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:16 pm
I don't recall proposing a theory. I do recall asking a question.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I'll give Parados a gold star for at least attempting to answer my question about heat transfer when water is freezing and/or ice is becoming colder than it was. I don't see how that can happen without heat being moved from the water or ice to someplace else. And I don't see why that someplace else can't be the perimeter around Anarctica since nobody seems to be disputing that the ice on Anarctica is thickening and becoming colder. That would explain why the recent trend is a slightly higher temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica at this time.

Of course the converse theory is that the higher temperatures are creating more precipitation which is creating a colder interior. But it is just a theory because they honestly don't know.

So my theory looks pretty good. Smile
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:32 am
Foxfyre wrote:
That's right they did and I was remiss in not mentioning it. I don't know any more about that than I know of the other theory. I do know that Anarctica is one of the most studied regions in the world, however, and given how they track the ozone layers and the changing conditions of the ice and the winds and the temperature etc., you would think they wouldn't have to guess so much about those things.

The one theory they didn't propose is that the phenomenon may be one of those natural cyclical fluctuations to be expected in the grand scheme of things.

So what do you think about it?

I doubt that Antarctica is one of the most studied regions in the world. It's been of great interest. But that's true for the moon, too. I don't think that you can equate that with "most studied".

But that aside, I think the reason that NASA didn't propose an explanation along the lines of "it's just one of those natural cyclical fluctuations to be expected in the grand scheme of things" is probably that this wouldn't be an explanation at all.

It's like answering the question about "Why does the Earth revolve around the sun?" with "Well, it's just one of those natural cycles. It's always been like that, you know."

Even if the observed temperature changes are one of those natural cyclical fluctuations (and I wouldn't necessarily doubt that), it would be interesting to find out about what causes those fluctuations.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:46 am
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I'll give Parados a gold star for at least attempting to answer my question about heat transfer when water is freezing and/or ice is becoming colder than it was. I don't see how that can happen without heat being moved from the water or ice to someplace else. And I don't see why that someplace else can't be the perimeter around Anarctica since nobody seems to be disputing that the ice on Anarctica is thickening and becoming colder. That would explain why the recent trend is a slightly higher temperature around the perimeter of Anarctica at this time.

Of course the converse theory is that the higher temperatures are creating more precipitation which is creating a colder interior. But it is just a theory because they honestly don't know.

So my theory looks pretty good. Smile

Okay, point noted. I did imply I was proposing a theory. It was intended as a joke, however and it was seriously framed within my question. I don't have sufficient knowledge to seriously present a theory. I only have curiosity re the phenomenon.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
Global warming must be causing the thundersnowpellet storm we're having right now. Gawd I hope winter is over soon. Send some global warming north!!!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
Let me repeat for those that didn't get it the first time....

Global warming does NOT change the orbit or rotation of the earth.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:58 am
I think the term that's being used is "climate change", btw.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:59 am
parados wrote:

Did anyone say it does? I rarely visit this thead these days, so I may have missed it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:11 am
It wasn't me. I did theorize that if global warming had the consequence of causing all the jellyfish in the ocean to migrate towards the poles, then the earth would certainly decrease in speed of rotation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
I believe that car makers are behind global warming propaganda .... and SUV-owners: high-wheeled SUV's can easily cross our ocean-flooded countryside.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:16 am
Thomas wrote:
parados wrote:

Did anyone say it does? I rarely visit this thead these days, so I may have missed it.

I haven't seen such.

I have seen theories expressed that from time to time the Earth does wobble on its axis and/or the magnetic center shifts and that this is one theory for massive climate shifts in the history of the Earth.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
Even if the earth warms 10 degrees the seasons will not go away because the earth's orbit and rotational tilt are the reason.

I am still amazed by the scientific ignorance of many.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:28 am
What really amazes me are psychic predictions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:31 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I have seen theories expressed that from time to time the Earth does wobble on its axis and/or the magnetic center shifts and that this is one theory for massive climate shifts in the history of the Earth.

I think that's called "precession (of earth's equinoxes)" - each wobble lasts about 26,000 years. Ptolemy ´wrote about that in his "Al Magest" the first time.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:44 am
parados wrote:
Even if the earth warms 10 degrees the seasons will not go away because the earth's orbit and rotational tilt are the reason.

I am still amazed by the scientific ignorance of many.

And who said the seasons are going away because of global warming?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:45 am
Quote:
precession of the equinoxes

source: equinoxes, precession of the. (2007). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved March 1, 2007, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9032850
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:58 am
cjhsa wrote:
What really amazes me are psychic predictions.

Why?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 10:23 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Another factor, of many, that is poorly understood that the "sky is falling crowd" blithely ignores. They choose instead to apparently believe CO2 is the only non-static factor that is happening.
0 Replies