Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:49 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Good grief. If nobody ever believed in miracles, believe now. I'm agreeing with Cyclop against Georgeob1 on this one. Smile

I don't know if what we view as the universe is finite or not. I can accept that it can scientifically be shown to be so. But no science here can yet say what lies beyond what we call the universe either. We know only an immeasurably tiny amount of all there is to know.

I suspect that is more the case than not in the global warming controversy too.

The universe really is known to be finite - to the extent that it can be understood and modelled. Physics is as yet incomplete in its ability to codify all that is observed in the known universe, and cannot exclude various possibilities such as quantum multiverses, dark matter and anti matter. Despite the size, age and complexity of the universe, one of its most remarkable features is the relative simplicity and uniformity of the physical laws it is observed to obey everywhere.

I believe the universe has a creator, but I don't believe the earth was visited by extraterrestrial beings in Roswell NM in 1956.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:52 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Good grief. If nobody ever believed in miracles, believe now. I'm agreeing with Cyclop against Georgeob1 on this one. Smile

I don't know if what we view as the universe is finite or not. I can accept that it can scientifically be shown to be so. But no science here can yet say what lies beyond what we call the universe either. We know only an immeasurably tiny amount of all there is to know.

The universe really is known to be finite - to the extent that it can be understood and modelled. Physics is as yet incomplete in its ability to codify all that is observed in the known universe, and cannot exclude various possibilities such as quantum multiverses, dark matter and anti matter. Despite the size, age and complexity of the universe, one of its most remarkable features is the relative simplicity and uniformity of the physical laws it is observed to obey everywhere.

I believe the universe has a creator, but I don't believe the earth was visited by extraterrestrial beings in Roswell NM in 1956.
Is that because you know it was July 1947?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:54 am
Foxfyre wrote:

I think I have always believed in the concept of infinity, that God is infinite, so is the creation, etc., and infinite time as well, which is otherwise known as eternity. As we learn more and more, the circle of our knowledge touching the unknown grows larger, thus the more we discover as part of the unknown, and the more we realize we don't know.

As far as man caused global warming, blatham, when and if the proof of good science convinces me, then I would hope to be man enough to admit it, but I would hope that you would also do the same if we begin to learn more and more that the science is deeply flawed and perhaps totally wrong?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:57 am
okie wrote:

I think I have always believed in the concept of infinity, that God is infinite, so is the creation, etc., and infinite time as well, which is otherwise known as eternity. As we learn more and more, the circle of our knowledge touching the unknown grows larger, thus the more we discover as part of the unknown, and the more we realize we don't know.
is this oike or D Rumsfeld pontificating about things known and unknown?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
BBC wrote:

UK'S FIVE WARMEST YEARS
Annual mean temperatures:
2006 - 9.73C (49.5F)
2003 - 9.51C (49.12F)
2004 - 9.48C (49.1F)
2002 - 9.48C (49.1F)
2005 - 9.46C (49.0F)

Winter 'second warmest on record'

The UK has experienced its second warmest winter on record, with a mean temperature of 5.47C (41.8F), provisional Met Office figures show.

The CET had recorded a mean temperature of 11.22C (52.20F) for the 12-month period from March 2006 to the end of February 2007, which was the warmest year-long period on record.

"It is very carefully monitored and statistically handled so you can compare yesterday with 348 years ago," said Met Office meteorologist Wayne Elliott. "Therefore it is a good measure of changes to the climate."

The Met Office's figures for the UK from the beginning of December to the end of February showed that the winter had not only been warmer, but also wetter than average.

This matched the sort of conditions that the UK was expected to experience as a result of climate change

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6401063.stm
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:15 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Is that because you know it was July 1947?

Laughing
Okay that was good.

In respect to George though, I know what he means. I don't know if a space ship crashed in New Mexico in 1956 or 1947. I do know there are people who claim to be eye witnesses in those parts who are believers.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
BBC wrote:

UK'S FIVE WARMEST YEARS
Annual mean temperatures:
2006 - 9.73C (49.5F)
2003 - 9.51C (49.12F)
2004 - 9.48C (49.1F)
2002 - 9.48C (49.1F)
2005 - 9.46C (49.0F)

Winter 'second warmest on record'

The UK has experienced its second warmest winter on record, with a mean temperature of 5.47C (41.8F), provisional Met Office figures show.

The CET had recorded a mean temperature of 11.22C (52.20F) for the 12-month period from March 2006 to the end of February 2007, which was the warmest year-long period on record.

"It is very carefully monitored and statistically handled so you can compare yesterday with 348 years ago," said Met Office meteorologist Wayne Elliott. "Therefore it is a good measure of changes to the climate."

The Met Office's figures for the UK from the beginning of December to the end of February showed that the winter had not only been warmer, but also wetter than average.

This matched the sort of conditions that the UK was expected to experience as a result of climate change

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6401063.stm

So what did the other 348 years look like? Good to know that the last 5 have been warm but what did the last 348 look like. Half the answer is no answer at all. Even most teachers aren't giving part credit for part answers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:22 pm
European annual, winter and summer temperature deviations (in °C, expressed as 10 year mean compared with the 1961-1990 average)

http://i9.tinypic.com/2rh4hw6.jpg

source: Het Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut (KNMI)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:23 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
European annual, winter and summer temperature deviations (in °C, expressed as 10 year mean compared with the 1961-1990 average)

http://i9.tinypic.com/2rh4hw6.jpg

source: Het Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut (KNMI)

Thanks for the info but it still doesn't cover over 300 years ago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:30 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Thanks for the info but it still doesn't cover over 300 years ago.

I don't really want to excuse neither the Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut (KNMI) nor any other European - but unfortunately the number of available stations was small during the 1850s and there seems to be none 300 years ago.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Walter, I would watch this closely, and I would be quite worried if I were you, as it appears the curves might be peaking out right now?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:34 pm
You are probably not aware of that, but I live exactly at that point which is noted below my avatar!

I never had seen astenrs and geranias still "alive" outside on the balcony, birds are singing since a fortnight and started building nests this week, first leaves on trees are coming out.

What I'm really worried about is: insects, "mosquitos", snakes etc have all survived and are back now in a number usually only normal in May/June.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:36 pm
On the other hand: in the nearby hilly region, they had six months snow last year.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:25 pm
The thing about Walter's graph is that it shows the last 25 years during which there has been a huge improvement in fuel efficiency, enormous reductions in factory emissions, waste clean up, tremendous improvements in home air conditioning and heating systems, and much heightened awareness of ecology, climate, and environment. The warming rate is shown as huge.

In the previous 25 years during which 12 mpg was considered normal and 15 mpg was good on our cars, nobody ever heard of a catalytic converter, smokestakes still belched megatons of pollutants into the air, we used freon in our refrigeration systems, etc., the warming rate was much lower and/or actually went down.

If we use data like that as significant, it seems all this environmental consciousness is what is causing global warming. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:40 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
If we use data like that as significant, it seems all this environmental consciousness is what is causing global warming. Smile

What other methods do you suggest to get meteorologic data than from weather stations?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The correlation between environmental hysteria level and temperature is very strong.
Even if everybody knows the 3C : correlation, causation, coincidence, I would suggest that hysteria is the CAUSE of temperature rise. Just a theory.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:43 pm
In fact our recent successes in reducing emissions of sulfur & nitrous oxides and particulate matter have contributed significantly to improving the transmissivity of the atmosphere to solar warming. This is indeed one of the significant factors in the recent rise.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:44 pm
okie wrote:
Walter, I would watch this closely, and I would be quite worried if I were you, as it appears the curves might be peaking out right now?
It depend if the Nasa and the CRU, responsible for collecting and "homogenizing" data decide to cook temperatures or not.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:51 pm
miniTAX wrote:
okie wrote:
It depend if the Nasa and the CRU, responsible for collecting and "homogenizing" data decide to cook temperatures or not.

Neither NASA nor CRU are collection our weather data (primarily) here.
Particularly I don't believe that they make the weather.

.... just thinking that some say it all started with the H-bomb and sputniks ....
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:53 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
In fact our recent successes in reducing emissions of sulfur & nitrous oxides and particulate matter have contributed significantly to improving the transmissivity of the atmosphere to solar warming. This is indeed one of the significant factors in the recent rise.
this is an incorect conventional wisdom.
1. nitrous oxides are greenhouse gazes
2. The southern hemisphere, which has pratically no particulate matter (no industrialized country) should have warmed MORE the the North. It has warmed less. Antarctica is even cooling since the 1980s.
3. Not sure that China accelerated growth and dirty coal plants release less sulfur & particulate matter now than the West do 30 years ago (when the Earth was cooling). It is true that PM tend to cool the Earth but its knowledge is very low (qualified as low to very low level of understanding in the IPCC) and its atmospheric content is even less known

PM and sulfur is useful for the greenhouse gases theory, but it's just a theory with many contradictory observations.
0 Replies