Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:45 am
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:
Why was the high month in Sept in 2005?
Anyone want to bet that Gore and his family weren't there in August-Sept of 2005? A quick google search shows Gore was in New Orleans aiding victims of Katrina and then on the west coast for speaking engagements in early Sept. Why don't you guys complain that Gore wasted energy by paying to fly a bunch of Katrina victims to Tennessee.
Oh poor Gore. He was far away from home helping News Orleans BEFORE it was struck by Katrina which made his macmansion consume only 19x the american household average instead of 20x. Lets drop a tear http://images.forum-auto.com/icones/smilies/cry.gif

parados wrote:
But then of course the story doesn't compare average temperatures from year to year either. Something my electric company does on its bills which makes it easy to make the comparison. Care to place a bet that the summer months in 2005 were significantly hotter than in 2006?
I'm on. But before making wild speculation, please consult the number of heating degre.day here . So bad, 2005 is BELOW average.

Katrina, exceptional hot summer, cooked numbers, what would you find next to excuse Gore's extravagant hypocrysie, Parados ?

Are you accusing Al Gore, inventor of the internet and the strategic petroleum reserve and subject of the movie Love Story, of exaggeration?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:01 am
I don't know if Gore has to have such a huge house.

I was just asking because the electricity bill of "an average American house" was compared to his.

(To my limited knowledge, most American homes are larger than in Europe.)

My neighbours energy bill is a lot higher than mine - they've a house about the double of my apartment (though my apartment is greater than an average German house).

If someone uses all energy reducing things - the best he/they can do.
Besides knocking down the home perhaps.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:02 am
parados wrote:
No, the consensus was not cooling. Media stories don't make science, they sell magazines.
Newsweek was not the only one to hysterize about global cooling. :wink:
Quote:
Weather warnings in the '70s from "reputable researchers" worried policy-makers so much that scientists at a National Academy of Sciences meeting "proposed the evacuation of some six million people" from parts of Africa, reported the Times on Dec. 29, 1974.

That article went on to tell of the costly and unnecessary plans of the old Soviet Union. It diverted time from Cold War activities to scheme about diverting the coming cold front.

It had plans to reroute "large Siberian rivers, melting Arctic ice and damming the Bering Strait" to help warm the "frigid fringes of the Soviet Union."

Source
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:15 am
Baldimo wrote:

Nothing solid, just looking at the history of earth. Wasn't the earth partially covered in ice about 10,000 years ago?

I think most of England, Ireland, and Scotland was at one time covered with ice. Thanks for doomsday that came, millions live there in comfort now.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:30 am
And then, there's this theory that a meteorite, 6 miles in diameter, hit the Earth millions of years ago - releasing a force of 100 trillion tons of TNT, i.e. about 2 million times as great as the most powerful thermonuclear bomb ever tested. It exterminated the dinosaurs and so made it possible for mammals to become the dominant land vertebrates - and hence paved the way for human evolution.

So, as this event was beneficial for the human race, there's nothing to fear from another meteorite hit.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:33 am
Some years back, a group of American fundamentalists brought in a creation science promoter to debate a local biologist on the subject of Darwinian evolution. The biologist stepped up to the podium and began, "This debate was held 150 years ago. You lost."

And you guys, fox, minitax, etc have lost this one. It actually doesn't even matter now whether chaps like Hansen have it right, enough of the developed world increasingly believes it so. That is a vector which is no longer stoppable.

Quote:
Early Monday, after several weeks of marathon negotiations that brought together both environmentalists and Wall Street bankers, TXU announced that its board of directors had approved the bid from Kohlberg Kravis and Texas Pacific for about $45 billion, which would be the largest buyout in history.

The deal was noteworthy not just for its size, but for the confluence of business decisions and environmental concerns that drove the ultimate transaction. Because private equity firms are unregulated and historically have valued their privacy, neither Kohlberg Kravis nor Texas Pacific were eager to become an "enemy combatant" of the environmental groups, people involved in the talks said. Reducing the coal plant initiative will also free up billions of dollars in planned spending that the firms will be able to use for other projects or to help finance the transaction...

Goldman Sachs has been a longtime proponent of reducing carbon emissions. Its former chief executive, Henry M. Paulson, now the secretary of the treasury, was also the chairman of the Nature Conservancy, an environmental activist group.

Texas Pacific's co-founder, David Bonderman, is member of the board of the World Wildlife Fund, and Mr. Reilly is chairman emeritus. Mr. Bonderman called Mr. Reilly to help work on the deal and create what they ultimately called The Green Group, a committee of advisers that included Mr. Reilly, Roger Ballentine of Green Strategies and Stuart E. Eizenstat, the former chief domestic policy adviser for President Jimmy Carter.

"We didn't want to be on the wrong side of history," said a person involved in the bidding group who was not authorized to talk about the transaction before its formal announcement.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/business/26coal.html

As Sorkin pointed out on PBS News last night, the execs at Goldman Sachs drive home in bio-diesel limos.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:39 am
Oh good. Now we have the majority rules scientific solution to the issue. It almost worked for the flat earth society and bleeding people to cure all sorts of illnesses medical group.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:48 am
blatham wrote:
Some years back, a group of American fundamentalists brought in a creation science promoter to debate a local biologist on the subject of Darwinian evolution. The biologist stepped up to the podium and began, "This debate was held 150 years ago. You lost."

And you guys, fox, minitax, etc have lost this one. It actually doesn't even matter now whether chaps like Hansen have it right, enough of the developed world increasingly believes it so. That is a vector which is no longer stoppable.

So if more and more people believe a flying saucer landed at Roswell, then its a fact, right blatham?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:54 am
okie wrote:
blatham wrote:

So if more and more people believe a flying saucer landed at Roswell, then its a fact, right blatham?

Ummmm, are you saying one didn't? I live less than three hours from the crash site, and have talked with old timers living around there who are true believers. Smile

But your point is very well taken.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:00 am
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Early Monday, after several weeks of marathon negotiations that brought together both environmentalists and Wall Street bankers, TXU announced that its board of directors had approved the bid from Kohlberg Kravis and Texas Pacific for about $45 billion, which would be the largest buyout in history.

The deal was noteworthy not just for its size, but for the confluence of business decisions and environmental concerns that drove the ultimate transaction. Because private equity firms are unregulated and historically have valued their privacy, neither Kohlberg Kravis nor Texas Pacific were eager to become an "enemy combatant" of the environmental groups, people involved in the talks said. Reducing the coal plant initiative will also free up billions of dollars in planned spending that the firms will be able to use for other projects or to help finance the transaction...

Goldman Sachs has been a longtime proponent of reducing carbon emissions. Its former chief executive, Henry M. Paulson, now the secretary of the treasury, was also the chairman of the Nature Conservancy, an environmental activist group.

Texas Pacific's co-founder, David Bonderman, is member of the board of the World Wildlife Fund, and Mr. Reilly is chairman emeritus. Mr. Bonderman called Mr. Reilly to help work on the deal and create what they ultimately called The Green Group, a committee of advisers that included Mr. Reilly, Roger Ballentine of Green Strategies and Stuart E. Eizenstat, the former chief domestic policy adviser for President Jimmy Carter.

"We didn't want to be on the wrong side of history," said a person involved in the bidding group who was not authorized to talk about the transaction before its formal announcement.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/business/26coal.html

As Sorkin pointed out on PBS News last night, the execs at Goldman Sachs drive home in bio-diesel limos.

So scientists have pulled a fast one on the world at large and your fine with that one? Good to know you beleive in science honesty. Hey weren't you one of the people who were mad at the Bush admin for "cooking the science" when it came to the US and global warming? Now that the science is being cooked in a way you agree you are fine with that?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:03 am
Do you guys ever get the sense that we make things harder than they have to be? Here we thought this was an issue requiring scientific expertise. But apparently all we needed was a majority vote and it is a done deal.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:04 am
Foxfyre, hi how are doing lately? If I am correct, I think I heard the other day that polls show that an increasing percentage of people believe in the paranormal, things like flying saucers, extra-terrestrial abductions, sasquatch, etc. etc.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:06 am
okie wrote:
Foxfyre, hi how are doing lately? If I am correct, I think I heard the other day that polls show that an increasing percentage of people believe in the paranormal, things like flying saucers, extra-terrestrial abductions, sasquatch, etc. etc.

'Flying saucers' really aren't anything crazy to believe in per se.

If you honestly believe that the universe is infinitely big (which there does seem to be a good amount of evidence for) then there must be an infinite amount of variation in it, and this naturally would lead to some other form of intelligent life.

The real stretch? Believing that they would have any reason to come all this way, just to see us...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:15 am
okie wrote:

I'm doing just famously despite a seriously cracked rib Okie. So long as I don't breath I do well though. As for the paranormal, I am a fan if not always a believer in all the claimed phenomena. I work late nights a lot and tune in George Noury or Art Bell who seem to collect a whole lot of the true nuts out there--one recently claimed to be a horse in a human body--but I am also in the school that teaches we know only a tiny fraction of all there is to know.

Like Cyclop I think it far more probable than improbable that there are other living beings out there. If they have developed their scientific knowledge and technology to the point that they are able to come visiting, I would expect they would check us out when passing through our galaxy and solar system. I also think that if they have been here, they intend us no harm for they certainly would possess the technology to obliterate us if they chose to do so.

I do wish one or two would muster up the courage for a few encounters of the third kind, however. They could probably settle this global warming conflict for us once and for all.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:18 am
Quote:

I'm doing just famously despite a seriously cracked rib Okie.

WTF? I know you like to spar online, but in real life too?

I've often wondered if the 'answer' to the many unexplained extra-terrestrial phenomena which are reported isn't actually closer to Time Travel than it is Space travel...

Is Time Travel considered to be a 'wacky' idea? Or is it an accepted one that we realize we just can't figure out how to do yet? After all, we do time travel - into the future, at a steady rate....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:30 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If you honestly believe that the universe is infinitely big (which there does seem to be a good amount of evidence for) then there must be an infinite amount of variation in it, and this naturally would lead to some other form of intelligent life.

The real stretch? Believing that they would have any reason to come all this way, just to see us...

Cycloptichorn

Actually the universe is conclusively known to be finite, both in space and time. (That's why it gets dark at night.) It is very large and old by human scales of length and time, but finite.

However, it doesn't surprise me that a Democrat believes in flying saucers.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:30 am
Foxfyre wrote:

I'm doing just famously despite a seriously cracked rib Okie. So long as I don't breath I do well though. As for the paranormal, I am a fan if not always a believer in all the claimed phenomena. I work late nights a lot and tune in George Noury or Art Bell who seem to collect a whole lot of the true nuts out there--one recently claimed to be a horse in a human body--but I am also in the school that teaches we know only a tiny fraction of all there is to know.

I would recommend you continue breathing even if it hurts though.

When I happen to be awake usually in a vehicle or something late at night, I listen to Noury or Bell, but for purely entertainment purposes, as I find the shows to be mostly total make-believe. I would have to believe in some paranormal phenomena if credible proof ever is presented, but if or until that happens, I am extremely skeptical by nature. Mostly, I think these types of things provide a living for various authors and so-called pseudo-scientists that somehow lost their way in the forest of life.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:33 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Actually the universe is conclusively known to be finite, both in space and time. (That's why it gets dark at night.) It is very large and old by human scales of length and time, but finite.

However, it doesn't surprise me that a Democrat believes in flying saucers.

Mmmmm..... I'm not so sure that the universe is 'known' to be finite.

We could get into competing universal models and discussions, but perhaps we should say 'the universe is so large as to be considered infinite by us at this point.' Even an examination of our own galaxy shows an inconceivable amount of variation.

You don't believe in extra-terrestrial life?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:38 am
Good grief. If nobody ever believed in miracles, believe now. I'm agreeing with Cyclop against Georgeob1 on this one. Smile

I don't know if what we view as the universe is finite or not. I can accept that it can scientifically be shown to be so. But no science here can yet say what lies beyond what we call the universe either. We know only an immeasurably tiny amount of all there is to know.

I suspect that is more the case than not in the global warming controversy too.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:39 am
okie wrote:
blatham wrote:

It isn't that belief or consensus determines what is real but it does come to determine how we behave, individually and within groups.

I don't have much hope you guys will move much in your opinions but it is quite unnecessary that you do because enough others have or are.

My post is, if it's not already clear, essentially saying "nyah, nyah".
0 Replies