How do I travel to another state?

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 12:36 pm
How do I book a flight from one state to fly to another? For those who have done this before, I'm sure it's familiar, but I haven't done this before (always had it done by other people when I was a small kid, who hardly remembers), just wondering.

Can I get info please? And please, if you could, reply with details on step by step on what to do. I have no idea on how to look for a ticket, and steps into finding what plane to get, cost, when I have to arrive to the airport before it actually leaves. Plus no idea what I am allowed to bring or how much.

I'm pretty much clueless, can someone help me please? Would appreciate it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 724 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
First, get a map or an atlas (you'll have to buy it, this sort of thing isn't available online) and find where you are going and locate the closest airport. For example, if you are going to Lawrence, Kansas, the closest airport is probably Kansas City, Missouri. The closest airport to Boston is Logan (in Boston), but it's generally cheaper to get a flight to a much smaller airport like TF Green in Providence, Rhode Island or the old Hanscom Air Force Base. But that depends upon how much an airline is charging. So look for the closest airport but also look into alternatives as you might save some cash that way.

You can figure out where an airline goes by checking the airline's website. Not every airline goes to every airport so do this research before you start making calls. The biggest airlines are American, United, Delta and US Air. There are also some smaller airlines which often provide major discounts, like Southwest, Song and Jet Blue.

Then telephone either the airline or a big travel website like Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz or Travelocity. Do so as far in advance as possible -- you will save money that way. Then ask whoever you get on the phone and they'll walk you through it. I'm not going into detail because some things vary, such as how much luggage you can take. You can bring many things but guns have to be checked and certain items (guns, knives, box cutters, nail clippers, etc.) cannot be taken into the airplane cabin with you and will have to be checked in your luggage. That's all post-9/11 rules.

And I'm suggesting calling rather than booking online simply because you're new at this. Next time, it'll be old hat.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:59 pm
How come online is cheaper than calling the airlines?? Wouldn't the airlines be losing money to the guys doing it online? Just wondering?
0 Replies