Americans Will Die of Ignorance

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:00 am
That democracies don't attack other countries unless attacked has been a comforting norm in international relations ever since Abraham Lincoln's famous definition of democracy took root in the modern world. That may change soon as the American juggernaut aimed at unseating Iraqi President Saddam Hussein looks unstoppable despite mounting international opinion against such a misadventure.

Democratic governments worth their salt pay heed to public opinion, especially when it comes to grave decisions such as a declaration of war which will cause unimaginable suffering to both combatants and civilians, including innocent children and women.

When the United States Government is itching to drop megatons of smart bombs thousands of miles away over Iraq which forms part of a volatile region already seething with anti-American sentiments, the public opinion it must take heed of should not be limited to the borders of the United States. Being the self-appointed globocop, the American Government should pay attention to what the rest of the world feels.

Let us start with former South African President Nelson Mandela whose moral stature few American presidents in history can match. Surely, the world, including America, should sit up and ponder when Mandela, who ranked third (after Einstein and Mahatma Gandhi) as Man of the Millennium in Time - that quintessentially American magazine - explicitly criticises America for its war-mongering and dictatorial tendencies.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate recently branded the United States "a threat to world peace" accusing it of acting unilaterally and undermining the United Nations as a forum for settling international disputes.

There is also the recently re-elected German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder whose anti-war stance is embraced by 80 per cent of his country-people. It is not much different in the rest of Europe. France does not support a unilateral attack on Iraq. In Britain too, barring Prime Minister Tony Blair and a few of his party cronies, most people do not favour war.

Russia, China and much of Asia balk at the American unilateralism. In other words, America is out of step with the world. The looming confrontation with Iraq is the latest and gravest example of this. America's stance against the International Criminal Court, its opposition to the Kyoto Protocol, and its support to Israeli Premier Ariel Sharon for pulverising Palestine, have only helped the world drift away from America.

But the horror of horrors is the fact that there is feeble public opinion around major international issues in the United States.

"The most striking feature of America's debate about Iraq is that there isn't one. While Europeans march and yell, America's momentum towards war gathers pace without serious political scrutiny," opined a famed British magazine recently. And the reason for this can possibly be - hold your breath - illiteracy.

Is there such a thing as American illiteracy? A staggering 44 million American men and women today are functionally illiterate. "In the richest country on earth, 23 per cent of adult Americans - 44 million men and women - are functionally illiterate", writes Shashi Tharoor, a senior UN diplomat in New York, in a recent issue of Newsweek.

If anything, the situation is worse than those statistics suggest, because 50 million more Americans cannot read or comprehend above an eighth-grade level. To appreciate what that means, you need ninth-grade comprehension to understand the instructions for an antidote on an ordinary can of cockroach poison in your kitchen, 10th-grade to follow a federal income-tax return, 12th-grade competence to read a life-insurance form. All told, a staggering percentage of America's adults are, in effect, unequipped for life in modern society", laments Tharoor.

Isn't this something to be dreaded? Here is an administration presiding over a substantially ill-informed public aching to send its young men and women to battle and willing to rain down all kinds weapons of mass destruction over a sovereign country largely due to a personal peeve of a president. Conservative estimates put the cost of the proposed adventure at well over $200 billion.

If discretion is not seen as the better part of valour, the whole face of the Middle East will change unrecognisably. Revolutions may depose existing governments. More anti-American Islamist fundamentalist regimes may crop up. The only ones smiling will be American oil and arms companies. For generations to come, America will remain a pariah nation, at least in the Muslim world.

Should this be allowed to happen in a world where some 2.3 million Africans would have died by 2008 due to lack of affordable medicines for Aids? Should it be allowed to happen in a world that watched indifferently when 800,000 innocent people were butchered over three months in Rwanda's "ground zero" in 1994?

I have two suggestions to make. Now that the United Nations seems to be recognised as the only legitimate entity that can deal with international issues of such magnitude with many countries favouring the "UN route", let the world body take one moral step forward and constitute a "Panel of Elders" to intervene in the impending conflict between America and Iraq.

Perhaps Mr Mandela, the sage of our age, can head this panel. Other members of this panel may include former President Bill Clinton (forgetMonica Lewinsky for a moment), and a few other personalities of international stature such as former UN Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim and Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel, both with tremendous interest in Middle East affairs. This may sound an extraordinary suggestion but then, aren't we living in extraordinary times?

My second suggestion is to educate Americans. We should be wary of any country possessing an array of ultra-modern weapons, particularly so if its people are incapable of telling their government that it is out of sync. A more educated America will surely be less belligerent. And any reduction in unilateral belligerence will be a step closer to world peace which we, the global citizens, desperately need today. The UN should also take the lead in disarming the Iraqi madman.
By E.D. Mathew

illustration of the ignorance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,524 • Replies: 30
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
Sorry, but I can't "forget Monica Lewinski for a moment". Any nation or people that worship a liar deserve their fate.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:01 am
Cjhsa, you've proven the point that frolic was making. The average American lacks critical and most of all global thinking. Education is the basis for the greatness of a nation. America will not a be great empire if it continues like this, but a rude, selfish and despised empire. Hence it will collapse by its own corruption.

I see lots of good things in the US, but the bad things are affecting our world, and we don't like it.

The Bush regime has no authority over me or you. And it's telling more lies than Clinton ever has. Ari Fleischer lies for breakfast - because Dubya is so bad at it, they've hired a professional. His lies, contrary to Clinton's, have SERIOUS consequences for the American people (see where your economy is heading).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:02 am
We're sorry, Mr. President.

All is forgiven. Please come back.

Here's a cigar. Put it wherever you like...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:11 am
frolic never makes a point because he/she never posts anything original.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:56 am
Frolic, this is a great forum. You brought out many points that have had me worried sick over our condition. We're like Rome before it fell. But I'm at work and must go. I hope to be back later to reread think about what you've posted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:01 pm
I can't believe you're still dragging poor Monica into this discussion, frolic. Unless your real name is something like Hillary, the issue is way past its prime.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 03:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Sorry, but I can't "forget Monica Lewinski for a moment". Any nation or people that worship a liar deserve their fate.

This is why i'm dragging "poor(?=>IMO she was well rewarded)" Monica into it. Clinton may have had his weak moments. But who cares he had sex with that woman. Clinton was no saint. We all got our weak moments because 'The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' But the fact that Clinton cheated on his wife doesn't make him a bad president. The succes or failure of a presidency can only be evaluated by his work and not his private life.

BTW, cjhsa. You accuse me of never being orginal. My Scouts totem happens to be "Original Fennek" :wink:

http://www.wikipedia.org/upload/fennek.jpg
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:11 pm
Some American Leaders, all named Bush(coincidence?), better take some evening class on geography and pronounciation.

Quote:
The U.S. president's brother Jeb Bush has sparked criticism after mistakenly referring to Spain as a republic in a speech to Spanish business leaders during a trip to Madrid to discuss business opportunities.

Florida Governor Jeb Bush's blunder was reminiscent of President George W. Bush's past slip-ups which have included pronouncing Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar's name incorrectly(Anzar).

CNN: Jeb Bush slips on Spanish history

Talking about Bush and liars: Read my lips! NO More Taxes.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:15 pm
Maybe, but as long as we have our remote controlled big-screen TV and a six pack of cold beer, it won't be so bad.

When's the new season of Anna Nicole Smith start?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 04:53 pm
Max - you're hopeless.

But frolic, I would take some heart. No matter how much Bush derides the millions of people all over the world who took part in that protest by referring to them as a focus group, he still hasn't managed to win the hearts and souls of more than half the Americans, 85% of the Brits, 95% of the Turks. Any false step, and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, flat on Rove, Bush, Rummy, Cheney, et al.

The rest of the world is in one place; we are in another. But we have't bought Bush's argument, and look at all the effort that's gone into trying to make us believe, in a year. Ads, ad people, PR flak, newspaper dictation, repub talk shows - and they're still trying to win most American opinion.

I don't think we'll die, and obviously not all of us are that ignorant.

Incidentally, has it ever occurred to you that if Bush unzipped a little more, he might show up as more of a human being, rather than the robotic figure he presents? Come to think of it, can't see any of those guys unzipping at all - probably too busy preserving myths about sizes. Wonder what they do at the urinals?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:14 pm
max, you devil. Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:20 pm
mama, you didn't know - they don't go! The whole National Security team is too perfect to go! (but I did hear that Rice is the biggest!)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:20 pm
http://www.goodguys.com/images/KP57WS500_170.jpg
http://www.albanyinstitute.org/collections/objects/images/beer_sm.jpg
http://home.t-online.de/home/320067688447-011/pictures/034.jpg

Woohoo! Smile
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 05:26 pm
Try some decent beer!

http://www.interbrew.com/gifs/brands/jupilergif.gif

:wink:
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 09:00 pm
Okay, playtime is over boys. To connect with frolic's initial article, I would like to contribute this to the forum:

The Real Reasons for the Upcoming War With Iraq

It's a must read! Probably the only truth we'll ever read in our short brainwashed lives.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 09:14 pm

Joe Klein in TIME
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 09:18 pm
Time to ask the question: The American Revolution: Is it an experiment that has failed?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:41 pm
Well no, Bill, I didn't know that, but it would explain their funny walks.

I got a little book from the library today (lierally little - measured in size by inches) that's turned out to be very interesting. It's called War on Iraq, what team bush doesn't want you to know, and is written by Williams Rivers Pitt and Scott Ritter. It's published by Context Books, which has an interesting list and publishing history. Below is a link to it, and part of the book. Again, you need acrobat reader for this.

I had watched part of Rumsfeld's press conference today, and he was not comfortable. The press was asking him about th real policies regarding them reporting the war in Iraq, and he got evasive and subdued. Sounds like maybe the press is coming alive in some ways.

Re annanicolesmith.. I guess that shot was back in her thinner days. Caught her on tv - unbelievable.

http://www.contextbooks.com/waroniraq/iraqch1.pdf
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:49 am
Yep, thinner days. I was being kind. Still dumb as a box of rocks, no matter the weight.
0 Replies