Snowing in Houston

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:35 pm
That's usually no big deal, here, but for the first time since 1997, it is staying cold and icing over everything. I had to stand by the truck with an umbrella in one hand and a hair dryer in the other to get the truck door de-iced enough to open up. Not that I intended going anywhere. I just wanted to move out from beneath the pine trees, just in case the ice made limbs fall. Last time we had significant icing in the trees a heavy limb damaged the truck. The schools were mostly closed today and my wife stayed home. I expect more of the same until perhaps the middle of day, Wednesday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,574 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Make sure your wiper blades are up.

If you've got hand sanitizer it can often work as emergency lock de-icer. Just don't use your lighter to heat the lock immediately afterward.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:47 pm
@ehBeth,
My gate lock wouldn't open at first, but I am okay on doors and locks now.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 03:22 pm
It's all the fault of those liberals, with their confounded climate change.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:07 pm
@centrox,
Good old Donald made it snow again.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Stay safe.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 07:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Tomorrow morning will be the coldest. In about three days it will get up to 70. Just have to hold on.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 08:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't do anything stupid like I did a year ago: attempted to take the trash out rather than waiting until the next morning. One broken hip was the result.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 08:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
I slid down on the sidewalk in Kansas City a lot of years ago. Learned my lesson then, after about two repeats.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 07:32 am
People were asked to stay off the highways yesterday. There still were 600 wrecks out there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 05:56 am
We should get out of the freeze this morning. The ice causing tree limbs to fall did not happen. About three years ago, ice formed on the trees for hours. The limbs began falling. As I prepared to leave my location, I felt good that the ice was melting out of the trees and I had seen no damage caused by it. About ten minutes after I parked in the driveway at home, a limb came down just to the back of the cab. A little bit to the front might have caved in the cab. The tree was located on the adjoining property. I had not thought it hung right over the truck, but it apparently did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 06:02 pm
My neighbor's pipe separated at the joint and flooded the place last night. We took the skirting loose and discovered it did not require a plumber. So we wrapped the pipe good and put the faucet back on it. All it needed was to use the primer and some fresh glue. I put a line of wire to hold it from ever doing that again.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hey, I had frost on the rear window of my car the first two days of the week. I had to turn it around so the sun hit it directly.

We survived, though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 10:08 pm
Traffic got back to normal today. The big issues now are enough water in one area and clean water in some others. It will mildly freeze tonight, but Saturday the temperature will reach 70. I would sort of like to see spring sooner than later.
0 Replies