THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:51 pm
@msolga,
My place does really well.

In the Big Heatwave I never got home and found it above 31.

Only one night required me to leave the air conditioning on all night.

Getting into the car is likely the worst bit, when it has been out in the hot sun.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:05 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah, mine is excellent during the day. Way below the temperature outside. It's rather like walking into a fridge, when I return home after a hot day. If things become really excruciating in the evening, after a horrendous day, well there's always the air con. But I hate it & really hate using it!

However, an air conditioned car is absolutely essential in this weather! (Say nothing of those really cold mornings in the winter.) I don't think I could stand driving, otherwise!
dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:12 pm
@msolga,
Yes....I haven't had it for that long.

But...the old cars used to collect less heat, (smaller windows, and less sloping windows) and they had that corner vent window so you got a breeze.

Man we were tough!!
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:22 pm
@dlowan,
Well, maybe some of us were ...

I remember, all too well, arriving for a job interview on one of those hideously hot days, having driven myself there in my un-air conditioned car!

Ms Beetroot!

Took me ages to cool down & think straight.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:23 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Yes....I haven't had it for that long.
MADAME !! PLEASE!! There are gentlemen present.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:24 pm
@Ionus,
Confused
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:24 pm
I had 4/60 aircon in the first car i ever bought. (Get her up to 60 miles an hour then wind down 4 windows)
top temp. here today 38.8°C (about 100F) at 4:17 PM

all cfa incidents are under controll and no lightning yet. Tonight maybe
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:32 pm
@dadpad,
So far/so good, dp!

I know about those earlier cars, too. One always had that interesting "wind blown" look on arrival. Very Happy
Dutchy

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:30 am
@msolga,
We made it Adelaide's hottest November day of all time today, at 4.30pm the mercury hit 43C degrees (109.4 F). Presently at midnight it has dropped to 32 degrees and we're about to be hit with a cool change. Friday will be 29 with showers promised for the next 4 days. Phew, what a relief!
spendius

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:26 pm
@Dutchy,
Better to avoid constipation Dutch. I was once in 127 and a stiffo left me drained.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:43 am
Yay! the cool change arrived! A few hours ago, actually....

(Have you got it yet, dadpad? Dutchy, Deb, what about you?)

Wild thunderstorms, power outages here (I just got back on line) & high drama!

Not exactly a lot of rain, but it's raining quietly & steadily .... but it's so much cooler! I just walked back from the shops in Sydney Road & got a lovely soak! Very Happy

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:01 am
@msolga,
Cool change arrives 'with a bang' after hot spell
MEX COOPER AND ROBYN GRACE
November 20, 2009 - 4:16PM/the AGE

A blast of cool weather has caused havoc with power supplies, blacking out traffic lights across Melbourne and leaving more than 15,000 Victorian properties without electricity.

Quote:
..... A VicRoads spokeswoman said 24 traffic lights across metropolitan Melbourne had failed when a cool change arrived, bringing gusty wind, dust and the chance of thunderstorms.

Melbourne’s temperature dropped 10 degrees to 28 just after 2pm, Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Tony Bannister said.

The VicRoads spokeswoman could not say when if the traffic lights would be working in time for peak-hour traffic.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman advised drivers to give way to their right if police were not present to direct traffic.

Ten thousand SP AusNet customers have had their power cut in suburbs including Belgrave, Bundoora, Endeavour Hills, Diamond Creek, Epping, Narre Warren and Warragul.

In addition, a Powercor spokesman said 5500 customers in Echuca, Hamilton, Kyneton, Castlemaine as well as Sunshine, in Melbourne’s west, had all lost power.

Branches, stones and debris blowing into power lines, along with short-circuiting fuses caused by lightning strikes, had caused most of the disruptions, he said.

The electricity had gone out from 1.30pm onwards and was predicted to be back on by about 4.30pm, the spokesman said.

‘‘It was the blast of weather. There were two fronts that met, one coming up from Melbourne and the other coming down from the north west and they converged in the middle of the state,’’ he said.

The south-westerly change also brought dust to the Melbourne airport observation station, reducing visibility to 100 metres and gusts up to 95km/h.

Mr Bannister said the cool change started at Portland at 6am and took six hours to reach Aireys Inlet.

"It rocketed from there and hit us at about 2pm," he said.

The change brought instant relief from today’s hot weather, which peaked at 38.3 at 12.37pm in Melbourne, 40.7 in the border town of Yarrawonga and 35 at Mildura. Dust and haze was also reported in Melbourne's western suburbs. .....

http://www.theage.com.au/national/cool-change-arrives-with-a-bang-after-hot-spell-20091120-iprj.html?autostart=1
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:53 am
The change arrived at around 3.30 pm. Welcome change I can tell you.
Spent the day in a shed boxing up for a concrete pour on the weekend.We did notice what appeared to be smokehaze in the air at around midday but never heard anymore about it. There did not seem to be any fires in this area listed on CFA or DSE websites.
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:01 am
@dadpad,
Oh that's (not exactly a small) worry about the CFA or DSE websites, dp! (Shades of last summer. Sigh.)

But I'm delighted the change has reached now you!

Isn't it just FANTASTIC? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have all my doors & windows open (again) & I can hear the sound of the rain, coming down steadily out there. One of the very best sounds I can think of these days. Smile
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:07 am
@dadpad,
Our cool change move in slowly during the day msolga and it has started to rain lightly for about an hour now. A great relief.
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:41 am
@Dutchy,
But how cool is cool in SA right now, Dutchy?

I imagine you're feeling like a wilted lettuce by now, ya poor thing!
dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 03:52 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

But how cool is cool in SA right now, Dutchy?

I imagine you're feeling like a wilted lettuce by now, ya poor thing!

18.8!!!!!!
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 04:54 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
18.8!!!!!!

Surprised

What an incredible free fall!

Amazing.

You'll have to throw the blankets back onto your beds tonight!

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:09 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

Our cool change move in slowly during the day msolga and it has started to rain lightly for about an hour now. A great relief.

You've sent the heat to us. It must be 30 outside, and it's after 10 pm.
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 06:22 pm
@Wilso,
Yeah, it's a lotta fun, isn't it, Wilso? Particularly night after night ... Neutral