THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:45 am
@msolga,
When I built this house I made sure the insulation had no holes anywhere. If you get it built by someone, they will tell you it is ok to have a hole in the sisalation paper. Rubbish. it works by being a total barrier to air. It is usually 5-10 deg C different to the out side. When it gets real hot we turn on the aircon and watch vids. You have my symphonies..
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:27 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
You have my symphonies..

Smile

Sorry for this late response, Ionus. I'm afraid I konked out last night. The heat, ya know ... Wink

Yes, I have insulation, too. And air conditioning, though I don't use it much. Just don't like it. Mind you, later on today/tonight might be a different matter.
I'm lucky, though. This little (brick) house has very high ceilings (Victorian, built late 19th century) & keeps things remarkably cool during the day. The nights, though can be a different matter. Bricks retaining heat & all ... That's the time to open up all the doors & windows & enjoy the fresh air. Mornings, too, before the heat sets in. I'd quite enjoy this type of climate if it wasn't for the drought & the constant threats of bushfires in country Victoria. The mornings are quite beautiful.

It's going to be a wee bit less hot (like 2 C degrees!) than predicted yesterday. With storms & 40 km winds (!) in the afternoon. . Further north, in the country, things are always hotter & more extreme. (Good luck again, dadpad!)

How are conditions in SA, Dutchy, Deb? You've had a much tougher trot with the heat than we have. So far.

You mentioned you'd been to Oz, Ionus. In fact you sound very familiar with the country. Did you live here for a time?

Dutchy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:33 pm
@msolga,

"How are conditions in SA, Dutchy, Deb? You've had a much tougher trot with the heat than we have. So far."

Morning msolga. Still pretty warm in Adelaide, 38 at noon, heading for a predicted 43 degrees this afternoon. Enjoying a cold beer. Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:39 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
Still pretty warm in Adelaide, 38 at noon, heading for a predicted 43 degrees this afternoon.

Shocked

And I've been complaining! That's terrible, Dutchy!
I really hope there's a cool change coming?
Crikey ...

Quote:
Enjoying a cold beer. Smile

No, have six!!!

That might blot out the worst of it. Wink

Good grief!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:52 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
You mentioned you'd been to Oz, Ionus. In fact you sound very familiar with the country. Did you live here for a time?

Just saw another thread. It sounds like you live here now.

(Don't worry about me, Ionus. I get confused. Wink )
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:55 pm
@msolga,
Third generation Queenslander. I am a genuine certifiable Ozstrailyan. Thus, you have my symphonies but not my empathy. Now living in South East Queensland. My first wife was a Victalian so the kids are all half-casts. But at least they dont have NSW blood in their veins.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:01 pm
@Ionus,
Ah. All clear now!

For some reason (probably the army posts) I thought US of A!

Well, there ya go!

Quote:
But at least they dont have NSW blood in their veins.

Phew! Now that would be a bad, bad thing! Twisted Evil

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:09 pm
@msolga,
I have worked with Americans on many occassions. I quite liked their attitude to military life. Though one did upset me greatly once ; he said, " You Australians are just like us"....HOW DARE HE...lucky for him he outranked me.. Very Happy
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:13 pm
<waiting to exhale ..>:

Conditions ripe for fire catastrophe
Posted 5 hours 13 minutes ago
Updated 43 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200911/r471833_2370052.jpg

Temperatures are soaring across parts of South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales as emergency crews brace for worsening fire conditions.

Quote:

For the second day in a row parts of South Australia have been declared catastrophic code red areas and parts of New South Wales and Victoria been issued with total fire bans.

By mid-morning the temperature in Ceduna and Whyalla in South Australia had already topped 40 degrees Celsius, and was expected to reach 47 degrees with strong winds.

The west coast, eastern Eyre Peninsula and lower Eyre Peninsula are on high alert, with six schools closed as a precaution.

The Country Fire Service says there is also the possibility of lightning strikes.

Police in South Australia are also keeping an eye on known firebugs as Adelaide prepares for its hottest November day on record.

SA Police say known arsonists will be monitored as the temperature in Adelaide soars to a predicted 43 degrees Celsius today.

Police will be deployed throughout the state with officers monitoring the movements of known firebugs and conducting surveillance in bushfire prone areas.

The fire danger in Victoria is today tipped to be the worst since last summer's deadly bushfires..... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/19/2747022.htm
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:15 pm
@Ionus,
Careful, careful, Ionus!

You never know who might be reading this! Wink
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:24 pm
@msolga,
In case any of you non-Oz folk were wondering about the "catastrophic" rating we've been talking about. It's part of the new fire danger rating. As you can see, today is a doozy, especially in SA (South Australia)!:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/heatwave-november-2009/fire_danger-small.png
This illustration is indicative of areas currently under catastrophic, extreme or severe fire warnings.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200911/r471833_2370057.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:32 pm
Down to 27 C degrees in Melbourne now! Surprised Very Happy
Thunderstorms expected later today.
Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@msolga,
They cant read this from all the way over there, can they ???? Confused

As someone who belongs to a group that suffer from bush fires, I also have sympathy for the Greeks, Spanish and Californians. I became curious and tried to google the most number of people killed in a bushfire anywhere in the world but all I got was googley-gook. Eventually found this :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/10/2486811.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:03 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Ah. All clear now!

For some reason (probably the army posts) I thought US of A!

Well, there ya go!

Quote:
But at least they dont have NSW blood in their veins.

Phew! Now that would be a bad, bad thing! Twisted Evil

Excuse ME!!! My mother and that entire side of the family are New South Welshfolk.
Dutchy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:14 pm
@msolga,
Lucky you msolga, presently 40.4 C degrees here. Look at this site which sits on my desktop. http://www.searchsa.com.au/adelaide_weather_temperature_chart.asp

(Takes a few seconds to get on-line).
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:16 pm
@dlowan,
But they were smart. They left!
(well, I know your mother did, anyway!) Wink

Hot enough for you today, Deb?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:25 pm
@Dutchy,
That's revolting, Dutchy!

There must be people who are becoming sick, after days & days of temperatures like this.
Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:40 pm
@dlowan,
You have my deepest condolences, madam, on their attempts to play football. Cockroaches are not bad creatures, really, sort of butch lady bugs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:45 pm
@msolga,
I think after last Summer's WEEKS above 38, we're getting blase.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:47 pm
@dlowan,
So long as you can cope with it, with all that fur, your fluffy tail, & all .... Smile