THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:22 pm
@spendius,
it's funny the road winds through rock cuts and for some reason i looked to mf right and in between two huge rocks was the mother standing with three cubs behind her

my first thought was, that's not a real bear, there's noway i'm seeing a real bear standing just off the road about 10 feet away (i mean i know they live up there, but still)

after we went by i look in the rearview mirror and sure enough there was the mother and cubs crossing the road behind us
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:17 am
Expected temperature tomorrow
43 C = 107.6 F
Expected weather:
dry lightning storms across the state of Victoria.

Parts of South Australia are designated "catastrophic" (dont ya just love that description being applied to SA).

The one saving grace is that ground fuel is not yet fully cured. Still it pays to be aware and alert.
dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:42 am
@dadpad,
Supposed to be 41 here tomorrow....then down to 29, with rain in a couple of days.

Today was declared a catastrophic fire alert day in parts of the state.

I think today was cooler, though, than was forecast, and at least the humidity locally is 42%.

Good luck and lots of thoughts to you guys.

Stuff here is already really dry, because of the early heatwaves.

Sigh.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:03 am
@dlowan,
I noticed the first official "catastrophic" warning for parts of SA for today, Deb. The first of the season. And it's not even summer yet!!!!!! Good grief. Sad

Good luck for tomorrow, dadpad. Fingers crossed tight. Good luck to everyone & anyone in the the danger zones tonight & tomorrow.

A bit of good news from the weather bureau today (phew!). Rain expected all over Victoria on Saturday. A real change, they say. And not a moment too soon!

Dutchy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:13 am
@msolga,
"catastrophic" warning for parts of SA for today were a bit of a farce msolga. Melrose, a town in the midnorth of SA, where it was 43 plus today with hot northerly winds, should have been evacuated under this plan because of the fire danger. Nobody left the town and everybody went on with their business as usual. When interviewed everybody said "we've seen it all before", they were totally unconcerned. Difficult to say what to do for us city slickers.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:20 am
@Dutchy,
Well, I'm really glad Melrose got through today without mishap, Dutchy.
The trouble is, there'll be times when it would have proved to be a very wise move to evacuate! From hindsight, sadly. Like, for example, when some deranged fire bug takes advantage of the extreme conditions. As they have been known to do. (Touching wood now.)
Dutchy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:24 am
@msolga,
I know what you mean msolga, but the warning applies again tomorrow, so where does a whole town go for several days?
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:28 am
@Dutchy,
I don't know about SA, Dutchy, but in Victoria a lot of these arrangements appear to have been cobbled together at the last minute, so to speak. Well that's the impression I'm picking up via media reports & community feedback, anyway. Hell, we still have whole communities (barely) recovering from last summer's horrific fires!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:35 am
Hi
First time reader, long time poster....
Has anyone mentioned how Sydney, with "perfect (fire) storm" conditions could go up ? Sydney only has 3 exits. Assuming a fire approaches along one of them, what then ?
Dutchy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:40 am
@Ionus,
No chance of Sydney going up, to much water. Outer areas potential disaster area, however people could flee into the city area and be safe.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:46 am
@Ionus,
Hi Ionus. Welcome!
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:48 am
@Dutchy,
I hope you're right, Dutchy!
Dutchy

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:53 am
@msolga,
Maybe Margo can give us an input, she lives in the town of the coathanger.
dadpad

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:56 am
@Dutchy,
Your supposed to go to the neighbourhood safer places. (If they exist).
this is totaly abut governments feeling the need to be seen to be doing something, and arse covering is what they are doing.
Oh and by the way lets od away with all the volunteer community support for fire affected areas and bring in the army.
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:59 am
@dadpad,
Yes. That's the impression I have, too, dadpad. Sigh.

You're serious about the army idea? Say more.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:05 am
@Dutchy,
She does!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:36 am
@Dutchy,
You certainly have a strong point with the water, and the city center. As for the outers, if a fire ever gets into a suburban area it would be difficult to fight because of jumping. One fire break in the 'burbs could cost billions. I wonder how many Sydneyites have fire proof back yrds like they are aiming for in the country ?

I cant imagine the chaos on the roads. I drove into Sydney one long weekend and the traffic leaving was from not too far south of Newcastle to Hornsby. It was moving at a snails pace.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:37 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Hi Ionus. Welcome!

Very Happy
msolga

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:15 am
@Ionus,
It's going to be a hot night. 10 pm & the temperature is still around 30 C degrees. I have all the doors & windows open. Tomorrow (36 C predicted maximum) is going to be a shocker! Even worse up dadpad's way, up north.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:45 am
@msolga,
Gaaah, and its only mid spring .
0 Replies