THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Dutchy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 06:03 pm
@dlowan,
Just had word from my friends, all is well, house saved, no injuries but exhausted from fighting the fires. Luckily fresh crews have arrived.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:13 am
Melting in Melbourne. The temperature just exceeded today's forecast high of 34 C. I understand it's even hotter in Adelaide. And there are floods in NSW. Golly folks, it's still officially spring!
msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:42 am
@msolga,
Last night I saw my very first cockroach in ages ... a sure sign of an early summer. At least it was one of those big, brown, slow, not-too-smart native ones (which one has to deposit gently back into the garden), not one of the nasty, disease spreading, orange-backed, imported German ones! (Boo hiss!)

... and I have a number of mosquito bites around my ankles, from sitting outside at night.

Oh & heat lumps, too. Already. Can you believe it?
dadpad

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:28 am
I think summer may be here, with a vengance!
christ it was hot today!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:32 am
@msolga,
We're in the middle of a heat-wave msolga, can you believe that and it isn't even summer yet. Several days in the high thirties already, with 3 or 4 of 39 coming up. No relief until next Sunday.
msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:59 am
@Dutchy,
Yes, I checked out Adelaide's temperature today, Dutchy.
January looks to be a bit of a worry, hey?
msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:12 am
@msolga,
It's just after midnight & sleeping looks like it may be a problem. Though I did fall asleep (or lapsed into a coma) while watching Slaughterhouse 5 (borrowed from the library). I think this was during the romantic bits with Montana Wildhack, on the planet of Trafaldamor.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:56 am

Koala numbers in free fall

BEN CUBBY
November 11, 2009

http://images.theage.com.au/2009/11/10/848036/koala_420-420x0.jpg

Vanishing ... there may be just 43,000 koalas left in Australia, says a new survey. Photo: Adam McLean

KOALAS are rapidly vanishing from the Australian bush,and there may be as few as 43,000 left on the mainland, according to the biggest national survey of their populations attempted.

Quote:
The Australian Koala Foundation said its research showed the furry icons were suffering from urban development and climate change, and that the Federal Government should list the species as vulnerable.

The group, which used data from more than 1000 forest surveys, said the mainland population had fallen to between 43,000 and 80,000. The number of wild koalas in NSW, where they are already listed as vulnerable, could have dropped to as few as 8000, the group said.

The figures are controversial because they point to a steep decline since the previous national estimate in 2003, which used similar methodology to suggest a population of 100,000. Some researchers think numbers are significantly higher, though most agree they are in decline.

The marsupial's fate will be put before 20 of the world's leading koala experts at a workshop in Canberra today - the start of a process in which the species could be listed as vulnerable by the end of next year.

Upgrading the conservation status could have big implications for government assessments of coastal developments and land clearing. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/koala-numbers-in-free-fall-20091110-i5s7.html
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:56 am
@msolga,
oh man, that's sad news
dadpad

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:02 am
@djjd62,
@(0)@ . . . here DJ have a koala.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:03 am
@djjd62,
I know! Sad

As the report said, there's dispute about the estimated remaining numbers, but there does appear to have been a serious decline.

Hopefully the authorities are paying attention & will act!
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:04 am
@msolga,
one can assume that the devastating wildfires in the last few years have been hard on the little fellas
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:08 am
@msolga,
And check out this video:

Thirsty kangaroos invade outback town
The population of Thargomindah, in Queensland, of 203 people, swells with the arrival of hundreds of kangaroos and emus looking for water:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2009/nov/05/australia-drought-kangaroo
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:15 am
@djjd62,
Yes, in some cases, djjd.
Plus years of serious drought, land clearance for development encroaching on their habitat & disease.

Poor little snookies. Sad
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:23 am
@msolga,
we;ve had our own wildlife problems in the north, lack of food and the growing human population (garbage) have led to an increase in black bears finding their way into populated areas, they're beautiful but rather intimidating when one comes face to face with them

adult
http://api.ning.com/files/A9zOqGY9HX09i-l19ZPvn0kTqEwHUAYAJjVtnGcOUw99gwnrsuSR235htdw7aR8JvPtCAlygtBgVB9H2F7YhKuVRD8qHcJTd/blackbear.jpg

cub in a tree
http://ahimsablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/black-bear-baby.jpg

The American Black Bear usually ranges in length from 150 to 180 cm (5-6 ft) and typically stands about 76 to 91 cm (2.5-3 ft) at the shoulder. Standing up on its hind feet, a Black Bear can be up to 2.12 m (7 ft) tall. Females are 33% smaller than males, an example of sexual dimorphism. Females weigh between 40 and 180 kg (90 and 400 lb); males usually weigh between 162 and 275 kg (355 and 600 lb). Adult black bears can reach 300 kg (660 lb), but exceptionally large males have been recorded from the wild at up to 240 cm (95 in) long and at least 365 kilograms (800 lb). The biggest American Black Bear ever recorded was a male from North Carolina that weighed 400 kg (880 lb). At the other extreme, very small adult bears can weigh as little as 39 kg (85 lb) in females and 47 kg (103 lb) in males. Cubs usually weigh 200 to 450 g (7 to 16 oz) at birth. The adult has small eyes, rounded ears, a long snout, a large body, and a short tail. It has an excellent sense of smell. Though they generally have shaggy black hair, the coat can vary in color from white through chocolate-brown, cinnamon-brown, and blonde (found mostly west of the Mississippi River), to black in the east (the same is generally true in Canada, the border being between Manitoba and Ontario). They occasionally have a slight V-shaped white chest blaze. The tail is 12 cm (4.8 in) long.

Although Black Bears can stand and walk on their hind legs it is more normal for them to walk on all fours. When they do stand, it is usually to get a better scent or to look at something. Their characteristic shuffling gait results from their plantigrade (flat-footed) walk, with the hind legs slightly longer than the forelegs. Another reason for the apparent shuffle is that they commonly walk with a pacing gait. Unlike many quadrupeds, the legs on one side move together instead of alternating, much like a pacer horse. Each paw has five long, strong claws used for tearing, digging, and climbing. Though relatively less powerful than a grizzly bear, black bears are still enormously powerful. One paw swipe from a Black Bear is capable of killing an adult elk. In one account, a 55-kilogram bear cub lifted off a 140 to 146 kg rock "back-handed". When necessary, they can run at speeds up to 48 km/h (30 mi/h) and are good swimmers. The ears of a black bear are larger and more erect than those of the brown bear, and it lacks a prominent shoulder hump.

saw a mother and cub standing on the side of the road this summer while up north, breathtaking sight
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:27 am
@djjd62,
They are beautiful, djjd. But I'd definitely feel intimidated if I can face to face with one .. or two, or more!
Damn humans, making it so hard for these poor critters to survive!
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:31 am
@msolga,
it's worse this time of year, they're trying to fatten up so they can hibernate for the winter

listening to the news from the north when we were on our up this past summer there was a story about a woman who got up to let her dog out at about 3 am, the dog startled a bear that was looking in the back of the woman's truck, the bear ran away, and in passing by her swiped her leg with a paw and she needed 72 stitches to close the wound

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:33 am
@djjd62,
Are they becoming a serious problem as they look for food?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:47 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
saw a mother and cub standing on the side of the road this summer while up north, breathtaking sight

Cripes. Imagine that when staggering home from the pub.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 07:50 am
@spendius,
Particularly in London! Laughing
0 Replies