THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:09 pm
@msolga,
It's only going to get worse as Alzheimers sets in.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:13 pm
@hingehead,
Very Happy

Laughing
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:18 pm
@msolga,
If I was thinking clearly I would have written;

It's only going to get worse as Alzheimers se
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:38 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
If I was thinking clearly I would have written;

It's only going to get worse as Alzheimers se

Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:05 am
Don't you just hate the banks? Check this out. Bastards! Evil or Very Mad :

Quote:
The banking industry has admitted that nearly $1 billion worth of fee income is at risk once a new consumer law governing unfair contracts comes into force next January.

Described last week by the competition regulator as a significant piece of legislation, the Federal Government's proposed unfair contracts laws will pose a direct attack on the penalty fees levied by the banks, consumer advocates say.

In particular, the industry will have to justify $40 late payment and overdraft fees that lawyers claim are significantly higher than the real charge for the banks, which are estimated to be less than $1 per transaction.

Data released by the Reserve Bank in May revealed that bank customers paid $1.2 billion in penalty fees out of a total of $11.6 billion of fee income the banks earned in 2008.

The industry has accepted that more than three-quarters of the penalty fees - $954 million - could be avoided by consumers.

http://business.theage.com.au/business/new-laws-to-shave-banks-of-1bn-in-penalty-fees-20090712-dhe2.html

Yeah, bring on a peoples' bank! Whose brilliant idea was it to privatize the Commonwealth bank, anyway? I think the idea was to increase competition? Rolling Eyes

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2009/07/12/mb_cartoon_1307_gallery__576x400.jpg

`

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:38 am
@msolga,
We had a people's bank here.

Ruined the state for 20 years.
msolga

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:32 am
@dlowan,
Yes? How did it manage to do that?

The State Savings Bank of Victoria was a much-loved institution. As little kids we used to deposit small offerings into our accounts at primary school! Every kid had a bank book & put a little bit away each week. They trained us early about the virtue of saving here. Smile
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:47 pm
listening to one of the best radio shows i've ever heard

The Night Air

weird and wonderful you aussies are
Dutchy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 05:20 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 said
weird and wonderful you aussies are
[/quote]

We all have a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock! Razz
djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 05:29 pm
@Dutchy,
Very Happy two of the podcasts i look forward to are both australian, the hamish and andy show (mon - fri) and Country Breakfast (a weekly round up of rural news)
hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:07 pm
@djjd62,
OK, I downloaded the mushroom podcast. I've never heard of the show before dj.

If you're a hamish fan try and view any Spicks and Specks episode he's in - always good value

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spicks+and+specks+hamish&search_type=&aq=f
hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 04:06 am
@djjd62,
OK I get it! This style is kind of reminiscent of Russell Guy's 1978 radio play 'What's Rangoon To You Is Grafton To Me' (which I note that Night Air replayed in 2004. I'd urge you to check it out if you can spare 40mb of download, more info here: http://www.rumble.net/psychedelicatessen/

The shroom thing was most cool because I kept hearing little pieces of music I know, usually quite obscure stuff, so it's almost like trainspotting. Might just work through the back catalogue of podcasts.

Thanks for teaching me more about my own culture....
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:53 am
@hingehead,
of the four that came up on itunes, the shroom and conspiracy podcast are the best, animals is okay, i haven't listened to food yet

i followed this link from the Night Air site, i haven't listened to any of this yet, but it'd described as being the show radio ancestor

A Night Air special series: Reviewing Scope

downloading the rangoon as i type this
hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 04:51 pm
@djjd62,
I've never heard of Scope. How weird. I can't imagine how aged satire of antipodean current events will sound to your ears - but if you think it's OK let me know and I'll have a listen.
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:04 pm
@hingehead,
will do, it could be a while, one of my regular podcasts is back from vacation

it always happens a few days into a shows vacation i get caught up on a back log of listening and then go find new things to listen too
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:55 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
If you're a hamish fan try and view any Spicks and Specks episode he's in - always good value

Was it last Week's Spicks & Specks, where that woman devoted a song to Hamish, without naming him, but identifying him only as the fellow who isn't dating Megan Gale?
hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:17 pm
@margo,
That's the clip I was looking for Margo - particularly 'The HAND!' silly buggers.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:41 pm

Hey Oz- your boys took a hell of a beating at Lord's!

The MCC and the umpires gave them a right going over. Bad luck!
Dutchy

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 03:54 pm
@McTag,
The Oz boys will bounce back McTag, 3 tests to go!
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 03:46 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Hey Oz- your boys took a hell of a beating at Lord's!

The MCC and the umpires gave them a right going over. Bad luck!

It's bloody hard playing against two teams at the same time ....
0 Replies