THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

roger

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:39 pm
@hingehead,
Without researching, I would expect a substantial "loan origination fee", or other service charge. I once used a pawn shop while stationed in Maryland (USA). Maximum interest allowed was 3%. You should have seen the service and storage charges!
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:34 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Can someone give me a brief overview of how you lend money to people without charging interest and still make money?

I would if I could, hinge. Wink

If (without going back & reading Deckland's first NAB link) the banks are initially offering only small (around $1000) loans in these deals, I can only assume that enticing reluctant Muslims into mainstream banking transactions is but the first step toward making money ..... with the big bikkies coming further down the track, once the Muslim customers have gotten used to the idea & then take out home loans, use credit cards, etc ... all those normal, everyday bank transactions that rip the rest of us off & make the banks rich!
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:12 am
@msolga,
You charge an establishment fee, and a monthly "account keeping" fee, would be my guess.

These are the means by which my no-interest credit agreements make money.

They are still cheaper than borrowing from a bank or somesuch...but the " keeping fee" never goes down.

account

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:47 pm
@roger,
Ah thanks all. Seems like a weird rationalisation - what did Mohammed have against interest that he didn't have against bank fees? Probably the harder math.

It's sort of like a vegetarian eating vegies grown on blood and bone fertilizer.

And - there are no muslims with mortgages? How do they buy their homes? Or do they all rent? - no wonder there seems to be undercurrents of anger and resentment in some of their community.
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 02:45 am
@hingehead,
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2009/06/23/230609_cartoon_moir_gallery__597x400.jpg
msolga

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 02:54 am
@msolga,
whoops! Wrong Oz thread! Pretend you didn't see that!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:25 am
@hingehead,
Have been doing a bit of Googling on the subject:

Quote:
Islamic banking has the same purpose as conventional banking except that it operates in accordance with the rules of Shariah, known as Fiqh al-Muamalat (Islamic rules on transactions). The basic principle of Islamic banking is the sharing of profit and loss and the prohibition of riba (usury). Amongst the common Islamic concepts used in Islamic banking are profit sharing (Mudharabah), safekeeping (Wadiah), joint venture (Musharakah), cost plus (Murabahah), and leasing (Ijarah).

In an Islamic mortgage transaction, instead of loaning the buyer money to purchase the item, a bank might buy the item itself from the seller, and re-sell it to the buyer at a profit, while allowing the buyer to pay the bank in installments. However, the fact that it is profit cannot be made explicit and therefore there are no additional penalties for late payment. In order to protect itself against default, the bank asks for strict collateral. The goods or land is registered to the name of the buyer from the start of the transaction. This arrangement is called Murabaha. Another approach is EIjara wa EIqtina, which is similar to real estate leasing. Islamic banks handle loans for vehicles in a similar way (selling the vehicle at a higher-than-market price to the debtor and then retaining ownership of the vehicle until the loan is paid). ...<cont>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking
hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 04:27 pm
@msolga,
Hey cool, thanks for the research - that sounds like they would never foreclose a mortgage ('no penalties for late payments'). I wonder if there's some western society cheerleader writing a thesis on how different banking systems resulted in the 'waning' of islamic society from it's heights at the end of the first millenium AD?
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:22 am
@hingehead,
Ha! No doubt.

I wonder if the NAB will apply the "no penalty for late payment" deal to its loans? Hey, this development could eventually transform Oz banking practice! Wink
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:19 pm
@msolga,
I'm loving the dead cat motiff - I'm guessing it will last throughout Malcolm's career, like Alexander's fishnet stockings.

Quote:
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2009/06/23/230609_cartoon_moir_gallery__597x400.jpg
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:47 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I'm loving the dead cat motiff - I'm guessing it will last throughout Malcolm's career, like Alexander's fishnet stockings.

(You weren't supposed to see that on this thread, hinge!I posted it to the wrong Oz thread. Neutral Wink )

Yep, Moir has already produced #2 (on the other thread!)

A dead duck, or a perhaps lemon, would be equally apt in the circumstances, don't you think? I love "my brilliant hubris"! Laughing

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 02:35 am
mumpad is helping to organise a seniors forum.
"Grey does matter"
moderators and speakers so far include Len Foster Tammy Fraser and Noelene Brown.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 02:48 am
@dadpad,
Hey, good for mumpad! Great idea!

Pssst ... suggest Ron Barassi! (Not that I ever barracked for him, or anything! Wink )
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 03:01 am
apparently we dont know anyone who knows Ronald Dale... but its a great Idea.
The whole thing is being organised on a Gov grant of $2000.00 so mostly for the keynote speakers its a love job.
Tammy has reletives here, Len lives here.
Nolene is seniors ambassadore of the year so this type of thing is her "job"
I love it when a plan comes together. Of course most of it is down to the volunteer co-coordinator, who's name I wont mention, but she's extraordinarily well connected.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 03:24 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
I love it when a plan comes together.

Me too!

Mumpad must be really excited. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 03:29 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
apparently we dont know anyone who knows Ronald Dale... but its a great Idea.

But why not give him a try anyway? He can only say no. Sometimes, "famous" people can surprise really you, I discovered during a number of different publicity-producing escapades over the years. He sounds a terrific person!
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:04 pm
@msolga,
And he might want a chance to crack onto Noelene! Loved her in the Naked Vicar. Had a girlfriend who worked in a posh restaurant in Mittagong (in the general region where Noelene, Gra-Gra and clique lived) and said she was lovely. And drove a Suzuki Swift. Of course that was 30 years ago...
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:26 pm
@hingehead,
Agreed, hinge. Noelene was absolutely wonderful! Funny, intelligent & feisty. What more could one ask for?

.. & drove a Suzuki Swift, too, you say? What else do you know? Wink
hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:46 pm
@msolga,
That was pretty much the extent of our Noelene conversation from memory.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:52 pm
@hingehead,
Oh Jeez & damn, hinge! What a disappointment you are! Wink