THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:29 am
@msolga,
Following our discussion a while ago about Indian students & the problems they've been facing here, tonight's Four Corners, on "the education industry" sounds very interesting:

Lifting the lid on Australia's 'visa factories'
ABC news online
Posted 9 hours 33 minutes ago
Updated 5 hours 30 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200907/r406252_1914581.jpg
Earlier this year Australians were shocked to see thousands of Indian students on the streets of Melbourne and Sydney protesting about street violence, racism and slum housing. (ABC )

The numbers are boggling - nearly half a million international students pumping $15 billion a year into the Australian economy.

Quote:
... Reports had been circulating for the best part of a year about dodgy private colleges and the visa factories of Sydney and Melbourne.

In one year alone the vocational education sector had grown by over 50 per cent, fuelled by over 70,000 Indian students coming to buy an education.

Egged on by immigration and education agents, many were told that if they enrolled in cooking and hairdressing they could not only get a diploma but they could qualify for permanent residency in Australia.

And indeed they could.

The Government had instituted a deliberate immigration pathway through education, but the trouble was many of the training schools were supplying qualifications that were worthless, and the policing of standards in the colleges was woefully inept.

Four Corners discovered that not only were many of the courses bogus, but other illegal scams were keeping the system afloat.

If a student wants to apply for permanent residency they must pass an English language test. Four Corners has clear evidence that unscrupulous education agents are offering the tests for thousands of dollars.

Similarly with the work experience certificates that students need to acquire as part of their training. These too can be procured through networks of corrupt businesspeople for thousands of dollars.

The question is - how is this being allowed to happen?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/27/2636977.htm
msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:28 am
@msolga,
Anyone see Four Corners tonight?

Jeez, what a racket!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:22 am
This may be of interest to some of you: a number of short videos on Australian "national treasures". And if you're interested, check out no 9 - Bonegilla Migrant Camp, in country Victoria. That was my very first "home" in Oz, as a one year old, when my family first came to Australia, Perhaps it's just as well I was too young to remember much about it!

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/documentaries/interactive/nationaltreasures/
Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:13 am
@msolga,
Thank you msolga for the ABC link. Have not seen this program before and found two episodes of particular interest to me. Firstly Bonegilla Migrant Camp as I spent some time there in 1952 when I arrived in this Country. Imagine walking from Bonegilla to near Corryong along the Murray River to find my first job! Have retraced my steps last year and visited what is left of the camp, a type of museum now and a memorial.

The second episode I enjoyed was the one about the Batavia and the first building on Australian soil. Have collected a number of books and articles about this shipwreck and visited the National in Amsterdam where artefacts of the mutiny are kept. An extremely shameful and barbaric incident in the history of the Dutch merchant fleet so many years ago.
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:20 am
@Dutchy,
Glad you enjoyed it, Dutchy. My dad found his first job the very same way. Perhaps you walked the very same path! Smile
I surprised myself by getting a bit misty-eyed about Bonegilla. It must have been pretty tough for a lot of those migrants. Neither of my parents could speak a word of English & new absolutely nothing about Australia before coming here, with little more than a suitcase. They were told (in Europe) that you couldn't get butter in Australia! Smile It must have felt like the end of the earth!
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:35 am
@msolga,
Whoops. I typed "new" instead of "knew". Don't ya hate it when you something like that?
Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 03:46 pm
@msolga,
Must have been time for bed msolga, this time you forgot the word "Do" Smile I agree with your sentiments, it was hard on the parents, mine as well but they persevered and built up a great new life. I'm forever grateful they made the big step, this Country has been good to us and will do me.
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:09 pm
@Dutchy,
I see it's not the only grammatical boo boo I made late last night, Dutchy. Yep, It was way past my bed time! Smile
Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:02 pm
@msolga,
Who will it be tonight msolga, Melbourne's Magpies or the Adelaide Crows? Laughing
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:18 pm
@Dutchy,
The answer to that one is obvious, Dutchy! Laughing

Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:27 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

The answer to that one is obvious, Dutchy! Laughing

Seems to me, you're having a bit each way. Smile I'll give you a call tomorrow morning!
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:30 pm
@Dutchy,
The mighdy maggies*, mate, the big men in black & white! Of course!!!!!

Everyone knows this! Why do you even need to ask? Razz

* as we say in Victoria. Smile
Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:38 pm
@msolga,
Tomorrow you wish you'd never had written those words. Laughing
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:41 pm
@Dutchy,
You dream, you deluded South Australian, you dream!

Laughing

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:44 pm
Crows will win tonight. but thats as far as they will go this year.
Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:49 pm
@dadpad,
You're spot on for tonight dadpad, what does a woman know about football anyway, but we'll talk again next week! Wink
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:52 pm
@dadpad,
Wronnnnnnng!!!!!

You traitor! Evil or Very Mad

(I fear I may be slipping back into my one-eyed maggie obsessed childhood! Laughing What heart-breakers those magpies were! Bloody colli-wobbles, mate! The number of times I cried in the last quarter of a final, I tell you! Rolling Eyes Wink )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:54 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
You're spot on for tonight dadpad, what does a woman know about football anyway.....

Outraged in Melbourne!

How could you say such a thing, Dutchy?
Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:58 pm
@msolga,
I'm the original chauvenist............. Razz
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:47 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

You're spot on for tonight dadpad, what does a woman know about football anyway, but we'll talk again next week! Wink

Mumpad came second in her footy tipping (last year she was first). She was beaten into submission by another woman.

Nuff said
0 Replies