THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:06 am
Oz celebrates VP (Victory in the Pacific) day:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/08/15/ambassador_wideweb__430x316.jpg
Japanese Ambassador to Australia Hideaki Ueda lays a wreath during the 60th anniversary of VP at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
Photo: Reuters

Thousands of people turned out in Canberra today for the major event commemorating the end of World War II.

Celebrations across the country over the past two days have been muted in comparison with those in Asian countries occupied by Japan, where Prime Minster Junichiro Koizumi reiterated the nation's apology for its wartime aggression.

Young Australian of the year Khoa Do urged a spirit of generosity and selflessness to fulfil the dream of those who fought 60 years ago.

Prime Minister John Howard and other VIPs including Japan's ambassador laid wreaths at the cenotaph at the Australian War Memorial to commemorate those who fought and died.

Mr Do called on all young Australians to remember all those who gave their lives in the quest for peace, to remember the families whose lives were shattered and remember that the effects of war last a lifetime.

"To me there is no better way to pay tribute to their sacrifices than by continuing to embrace this Australian spirit of selflessness, generosity and empathy," he said.

"It will only be through selflessness and empathy that we can guarantee that a war of the magnitude of the Second World War will never occur again.

It's only though generosity and understanding that barriers will be broken, bridges will be built and the dream of all those fighting 60 years ago may eventually come true."

'Fellow citizens, the war is over'... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/not-forgotten/2005/08/15/1123957984230.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:11 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/08/15/15n_VPday01_gallery__550x343.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:27 am
War... and peace
August 15, 2005/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/08/14/pt_WAR_PEACE_ent-lead__200x275.jpg
Rowley Richards: Some guards were kind.

For some, bitter memories of the Japanese mean there can be no forgiveness. But for others, moving on is the only way to kill the demons, writes Tony Stephens.

Di Elliott's earliest memories of her father are of his drinking, the family arguments this caused and his poor health.

Racked with malaria, he would lock himself away for days. They're not happy memories but, Elliott says, "I thought that was how all fathers were".

Fred Howe finally won some serenity, although his poor health lasted forever. His wife, Elsie, doted on him and cared for him tirelessly. He scarcely talked about the war, although Di knew he had fought the Japanese - Elsie allowed nothing "made in Japan" in the house.

About 45 years after the end of World War II, with Elliott in her 40s, her sister Pauline found 27 newspaper articles written by their father in 1948. Di Elliott learnt, for a start, that marks on his arms were his torturers' cigarette burns. She began a long search for more information. Tomorrow, the 60th anniversary of the end of the war, she will tell her story - and her father's - at a commemoration at Kanchanaburi cemetery in Thailand. ......
<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/war-and-peace/2005/08/14/1123957948246.html

<extract from article>
... "The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget." So wrote Thomas Szasz, a psychiatrist, philosopher and Hungarian refugee from Nazism. But the question of forgiveness is not so simple.

It sometimes seems that humankind is more proficient at war than peace. Although World War II took six years, some who suffered have yet to find real peace. As long as they cannot, forgiveness is hard. Some have no intention of forgiving; some say their God might forgive but they never can. All say they will never forget.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:59 am
Bali #2. Shocked Surprised (You have to be Australian to get this one):

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5039766,00.jpg
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 03:23 am
http://smartasses.org/aussiequiz.html

Here you are all you Aussies... I got all but one right, must mean I am one of those Australian creatures (honestly) afterall, no matter where I live.

Sorry to bring him up again, but I only recently found out that Shane Warne actually did have a purpose other than to be a complete idiot with general life etiquette.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:06 am
This'll really sort out the sheep from the goats Ben of France! Very Happy

I really want to know what non-Oz folk make of questions like no 16:

The phrase, "Like a shag on a rock," means:

- You've been left by yourself.
- You enjoy sex by the ocean.
- You smoke illegal substances.

But no cheating, mind! Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:09 am
OK, Ben. Did the test & this is how I scored:

msolga:

You got 19 answers right.
You got 1 answers wrong.
You're a little ripper!
You have a near perfect grasp of the colourful gab and can probably make yourself understood in most social occasions, such as Gazza's weekly Barbie... but I bet you can't throw a boomerang!

Howz that? :wink:
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:00 pm
same as I!
Which one did you get wrong?
I got "stooged" wrong... too much "fat pizza" I guess.
Everything is a stooge on that show.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:22 pm
Now, I feel vindicated.....or sumthin'

You got 20 answers right.
You got 0 answers wrong.

You're a bottler, mate!
You are a fair dinkum, ridgy didge, dinky die, true blue, dyed-in-the-wool Ocker-like strine speaker. Well bugger me, you could probably even play a didgeridoo and know the proper way to twirl a billy. Goodonya. Get us another stubbie while you're up, will ya... and have one yourself while you're at it!

Well - I was born here, and lived here all my life, so far! <and have a bit of a country background, as well>

I tried the cricket quiz:

Correct answers: 18
Incorrect answers: 2
Comment: You're a natural. Your knowledge of the game is probably only exceeded by your good looks. You should submit your name forthwith to be included in the Aussie Commentary Team where you can rub elbows behind the microphones with the likes of Richie and Tony, honing your skills in calling, "Goddim," and, "Wot ay megnifisint getch," from the masters. :-)

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:24 am
benconservato wrote:
same as I!
Which one did you get wrong?
I got "stooged" wrong... too much "fat pizza" I guess.
Everything is a stooge on that show.

No 1, Ben.
Sheesh, thought I knew it all! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:28 am
margo wrote:
Now, I feel vindicated.....or sumthin'

You got 20 answers right.
You got 0 answers wrong.

You're a bottler, mate!
You are a fair dinkum, ridgy didge, dinky die, true blue, dyed-in-the-wool Ocker-like strine speaker. Well bugger me, you could probably even play a didgeridoo and know the proper way to twirl a billy. Goodonya. Get us another stubbie while you're up, will ya... and have one yourself while you're at it!

Well - I was born here, and lived here all my life, so far! <and have a bit of a country background, as well>

I tried the cricket quiz:

Correct answers: 18
Incorrect answers: 2
Comment: You're a natural. Your knowledge of the game is probably only exceeded by your good looks. You should submit your name forthwith to be included in the Aussie Commentary Team where you can rub elbows behind the microphones with the likes of Richie and Tony, honing your skills in calling, "Goddim," and, "Wot ay megnifisint getch," from the masters. :-)

I hate to encourage your gloating & all, margo .... but you may be the all time, true blue, Oz trivia knowledge champion! Cool
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:41 am
I got stodge wrong. And I should complain about the regionalism in that quiz. Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:45 am
Yeah! Laughing
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:05 am
They asked nothing about pie floaters, about Balfour's frog cakes, the Bay tram, the police greys, Farmers Union iced coffee, the checkside punt......I am going apopleptic here Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:15 am
Yes, you're right! There was absolutely NOTHING about the St Kilda Pier, Myer Music Bowl, little Italy .....

We was robbed! Evil or Very Mad

So from where did this dodgy, biased survey come, then, gf? Any theories?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:34 am
Laughing Sid, Sidderney! The winner is Sidderney! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:38 am
Laughing You got it!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Huh!!!

I didn't notice anything Sydney-centric in the quiz!

I could probably answer any questions based on those things MsOlga quoted, but the SA stuff's got me beat - Balfour's frog cakes??? I mean, really!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:39 pm
margo wrote:
Huh!!!

I didn't notice anything Sydney-centric in the quiz!

I could probably answer any questions based on those things MsOlga quoted, but the SA stuff's got me beat - Balfour's frog cakes??? I mean, really!

margo - a goldfish doesn't know it lives in water :wink:

A Balfour's frog cake?

http://www.sa.nationaltrust.org.au/heritage_icons_2001.htm#balfours
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:13 am
I didn't notice any Sydney bias either... but I am from there also. Farmers Union exists everywhere kids.
(It did when I was there anyway).
0 Replies