THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

goodfielder

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:07 am
I mistakenly bumped into an episode once. But you know a lot of people have and continue to enjoy it so who am I to carp? It gave some people a great start in acting and in tv production, it did wonders for Australian immigration and no doubt it sold a lot of product being advertised. So, happy birthday to Neighbours.

And thank god for the ABC Very Happy
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
"Our Rusty" is not an Australian, he is one of those bloody Kiwi's!

(For all you un-Australians, "Our Rusty" is the mobile phone throwing Russell Crowe)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:38 pm
Neighbours, eh!

In 1987, on the first day of my first trip to Ireland, I was booked in at a B&B in Dublin. When I arrived, they really wanted to make me feel at home (B&B wasn't the big business in Ireland then that it is now - you really did stay in someone's spare room!).

They ushered me through to their living room, and there was the whole family, sitting around, watching Neighbours, in the late afternoon. They pelted me with questions about it, the characters, location, etc., and I had to admit that I'd never seen it. It was certainly exotic, foreign, in that cool, damp country at that time!

The Irish have become much more international since then!

G'day BC - long time no see! How's da Frogs?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:58 pm
Quote:
In 1987, on the first day of my first trip to Ireland, I was booked in at a B&B in Dublin. When I arrived, they really wanted to make me feel at home (B&B wasn't the big business in Ireland then that it is now - you really did stay in someone's spare room!).

Done that (1978) and have a horror story about a drunken Irishman to boot Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:46 am
benconservato wrote:
"Our Rusty" is not an Australian, he is one of those bloody Kiwi's!

That's right, he is, isn't he?
Aw, that's too bad! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
Frogs are just the same... moved house and it took them 2 months to reconnect my internet at the house... annoying lazy bureaucrats. Too bad I work at home, kind of had a forced "2 month holiday".

So now I am back and ready to make more disparaging comments about kiwis (not really).

Tell us the story about the drunken Irish man!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:19 am
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5035669,00.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:48 am
Olga
how unkind of you! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:50 am
Laughing

Funny, margo, I was thinking of you as I posted it! Thought you'd be amused. But no, apparently not! Confused You take you cricket very seriously, don't you, margo?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:07 am
not so seriously, really, but I can't let you get away with things - next you'll be starting to thinkyou have rights - and where will that lead?

Chaos and obfuscation, that's where, I tell you! Doom, defeat, despair, death and degradation!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:14 am
I see your point! I will try to do better! Laughing

Seriously though, even I, a totally not-interested-in-cricket-person, have become remotely interested in this current test between Oz & England. A contest! Surprised (However, Warnie still does absolutely nothing for me as a human being, though! I don't care how brilliant he is on the cricket field. Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:32 am
yep - Warne is a creepy git - bastard takes wickets, though!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:42 am
It does rather seem that way. A pity.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:44 am
msolga! margo! Don't you know that "sports heroes" are allowed to do what they like?? It's un-Ozzian to criticise, to carp, to deign to suggest that the "sports heroes" may be anything other than perfect. I bet you're the type of people who start reading the newspaper from the front aren't you? Tut tut. You must comply.

Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 03:53 am
goodfielder wrote:
msolga! margo! Don't you know that "sports heroes" are allowed to do what they like?? It's un-Ozzian to criticise, to carp, to deign to suggest that the "sports heroes" may be anything other than perfect. I bet you're the type of people who start reading the newspaper from the front aren't you? Tut tut. You must comply.

Cool

Oh sorry, gf! A seriously bad lapse on my part!
(Dunno what made me say that, honestly I don't! Confused )

GO Warnie!!! Whatta hero!

(Howz that? Better?:wink: )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 05:28 pm
A bit of photographic history & nostalgia. How Melbourne celebrated VP Day:

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/2005/08/12/1123353502245.html
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
msolga wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

Cool

Oh sorry, gf! A seriously bad lapse on my part!
(Dunno what made me say that, honestly I don't! Confused )

GO Warnie!!! Whatta hero!

(Howz that? Better?:wink: )

Ahhhhhh the disturbance in the force...............has subsided :wink:

I know what dear old Karl said about religion but for us it must surely be sport?

But I'm having bad trips here.....cricket.....rugby union......thankfully we can still beat the world at Aussie Rules Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:46 am
goodfielder wrote:
... thankfully we can still beat the world at Aussie Rules Very Happy

Razz But I hear it's catching on in foreign places, so our supremacy could well be short-lived!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:10 pm
I confess - I do read the newspaper from the front to the back!

And Warne is still a sleaze. Bring on Stuart McGill - clean living, decorative, faithful, considerate, witty, articulate, interesting - poor fellow's got no hope Sad

And the rugby:(
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 01:57 am
Margo, my dear, I know NOTHING of these things. Shame on me! :wink:
0 Replies