THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 08:17 am
@hingehead,
Wow . . . blast from the past. I see Changi, and i think King Rat. Did you ever read that, or see the motion picture?
dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:04 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So, like . . . do all you Ozzian ladies dress up in frilly little red dresses like that on holidays and special occasions?

No.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:35 am
Akubra rather than a slouch hat
http://www.akubra.com.au/images/products/country/country-hats/Country-AussieGold-Sand-preview.jpg

drizabone
http://store.drizabone.com.au/images/P/shortCoatBrown.png

Rm williams moleskin pants and half heel riding boots
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:58 am
@dadpad,
... & Blundstones?

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog/assets/6002.jpg
http://www.aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog/default.php
Dutchy

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:43 pm
@msolga,
I like to put in my two bob's worth. msolga Smile http://www.blokesandsheilas.com/Sporting-Fishing/T-Shirts-Dress-Shirts.html
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 07:06 pm
@msolga,
Yep, home now. I've been travelling for three weeks off an on. Drained. Mrs Hinge travelling a lot too. She flew to Brisneyland last night so the fur kids had to pray I'd get home in time to feed and pat them. I think I'm home till December, but Mrs H is doing 3 and 4 day trips for the next three weeks.

To quote someone 'Anyone who thinks business travel is glamorous is either insane or hasn't done any.'
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 07:12 pm
@Setanta,
Changi has a pretty strong resonance for Australians, as do Japanese POW camps in general. But we can separate the past from now. It is weird though, how a place can be tarnished by an association not of it's own making. Neanderthal springs to mind.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:42 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Yep, home now. I've been travelling for three weeks off an on. Drained. Mrs Hinge travelling a lot too. She flew to Brisneyland last night so the fur kids had to pray I'd get home in time to feed and pat them. I think I'm home till December, but Mrs H is doing 3 and 4 day trips for the next three weeks.

Gosh, I had absolutely no idea that you were living this sort of hectic work existence, hinge.
I'd sort of pictured you working a gentle, laid-back librarian life in gorgeous, tropical Cairns.
I can certainly understand why you're feeling drained! Crikey.

I hope you made it home in time for your feeding & patting duties! Smile
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:47 pm
@msolga,
And I'll restrain myself (for once) ... I won't ask what line of business you're in.
Though I can tell you, I'm positively itching to know! Smile
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:13 pm
@msolga,
I am just a wee systems librarian, working for a university ranked in the top 4% in the world (woohoo). I don't usually travel this much but for some reason lots of different things have aligned at the same time. Mrs H on the other hand is a more regular traveller - she even has Qantas Club as part of working conditions. Elitist scum.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:18 pm
@hingehead,
Ah.
It all becomes clearer! Smile

Quote:
Mrs H on the other hand is a more regular traveller - she even has Qantas Club as part of working conditions. Elitist scum.

Oh god I'm so jealous.
How do people get these sorts of jobs?
I would love to know what it's like to be this variety of elitist scum! Sad
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:19 pm
@msolga,
On the other hand she will be staying in a hut at Bamaga Caravan Park where the instructions are 'don't use the front door in case the crocodile eats you'.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:22 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Oh god I'm so jealous.

I'm not.

I positivly hate planes and airports. I feel so powerless in that environment.
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:25 pm
@msolga,
To be fair I wouldn't want her job for the world, she earns a fair bit more than me but I reckon we are on the same wage per hour of work done. Work/life balance my arse.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:28 pm
@dadpad,
That's a real shame, dadpad.
Did you find your recent o/s travels stressful for those reasons?

I LOVE airports & planes, departure lounges, duty free shops, etc, etc .. the whole package.
So exciting!
It really saddens me I can't get up to more of these sorts of adventures these days. Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:31 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
To be fair I wouldn't want her job for the world, she earns a fair bit more than me but I reckon we are on the same wage per hour of work done. Work/life balance my arse.

Really sorry to hear this, hinge.
That's why you both left Canberra & the rat race behind, yes?
A much better work/life balance.
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:46 pm
@msolga,
Mrs Hinge overworks wherever she is - even when she was in Nhulunbhuy. I, on the other hand actually have weekends off since I left Canberra.

Of course I have flown back from Singapore over night arrive home at 9.30 and am currently working through the emails I flagged for follow up while over there.
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:12 am
@hingehead,
You're going to have to give Mrs Hinge a good talking to, I'm afraid, hinge. (Though I know it won't make the slightest bit of difference! Smile )

And as for you: STOP!
Those emails can wait.
I think you should curl up on the couch with the critters & relax for a wee bit. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:25 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
To quote someone 'Anyone who thinks business travel is glamorous is either insane or hasn't done any.'

I'd have to agree with this. Back in my corporate days I travelled a bit - and it's rife with problems. Business travel sucks. And you have to dress properly! My life is much quieter now. I earn a lot less but work a lot less, too. And no "on call". Like Mrs Hinge, I earned big money, but the hourly rate worked out less than an office junior.

Mind you, I had so many problems on my recent trip - it may as well have been for business! Evil or Very Mad

There ain't no quiet, laid-back librarians any more.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 06:23 pm
@margo,
Oh yes there are. You must have been looking in the wrong places.