THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

margo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:18 pm
@spendius,
Nah! We used to be the quiet, laid-back librarians.

And look at us now!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
England 2nd Innings - Declared.

Strauss st Haddin b North 110
Cook not out 235
Trott not out 135
Extras 6nb 10w 17b 4lb 37

Total for 1 517 (152.0 ovs)

Hilfenhaus 32.0 8 82 0
Siddle 24.0 4 90 0
North 19.0 3 47 1
Johnson 27.0 5 104 0
Doherty 35.0 5 107 0
Watson 15.0 2 66 0.

Ahem! And Strauss was out swiping to give Trott a chance.
Dutchy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 05:28 pm
@spendius,
No need to remind me spendi, I saw every bit of this test on TV and more, admittedly your boys redeemed themselves to force a draw but it is early days. Strauss and Co. will hit my home town for the 2nd test next Thursday, will keep you updated then.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:02 pm
@spendius,
Bah! Humbug!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:24 am
Quote:
Oprah’s Version Of Australia Is Our Version Of Hell.

By Jess McGuire on December 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM
The most gag-worthy news story I’ve read all day – and I went through the wedding photos of the Toowoomban dude who married his Labrador, if that helps put things in perspective – has to be the piece in The Australian about Oprah’s recent “crash course” in all things related to the land down under.

Oprah Winfrey has already given Americans an insight into our culture. According to Oprah’s Aussie Countdown, which screened to 10 million Americans last week, we Australians call men “blokes”, women “sheilas” and we like to meet up at “hip joints” called McCafes to sip on gourmet coffee.

Some of the one-million-strong Australian audience who saw this report on the Ten Network last week were a little surprised to hear of the importance of McCafes to the Australian lifestyle.

Quote:
“While there are a lot of differences, there is one comforting similarity,” Oprah’s guest reporter, Ten personality Carrie Bickmore, said in her “crash course in the Australian way. While you have your diners, we have McCafes. Guys come for business meetings, girls come for a catch-up over coffee. It’s all just a little bit fancy.”

The rest of the item...
margo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 07:45 pm
Oh, puke! She's supposed to be here today - or something!
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 06:15 am
@margo,
Mr Squiggle died.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/06/3086216.htm

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
http://www.wanderinggoblin.com/images/stories/Remarkably_Stupid/SadBunny.jpg

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 06:16 am
@hingehead,
Vomit.
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 03:00 pm
@dlowan,
I can't find Msolga's "It's raining" thread///but we've had nearly 70 mm in the last day or so...and 36 mm is predicted for today.

With thunderstorms and it's warm.

Looks like the monsoons are here.
Shocked

Apparently, far from most farmers welcoming it, it's ruining crops about to be harvested.
margo

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 07:41 pm
Yeah! How'd you be?

Ten years (for some) of drought. Immediately followed by floods! Sheesh!

Dorothea Mackellar's "droughts and flooding rains" is certainly here with us!
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 09:06 pm
@dlowan,
Here ya go, Deb.:

http://able2know.org/topic/1397-1
dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 01:48 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Yeah! How'd you be?

Ten years (for some) of drought. Immediately followed by floods! Sheesh!

Dorothea Mackellar's "droughts and flooding rains" is certainly here with us!

Seems to be the way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 04:16 pm
@msolga,
It'll be on its way to you!
NettieK

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 04:17 am
@dlowan,
Floods have just peaked here today, all seems OK. The SES were worried about a couple of the levees around the town, but looks like they have held.
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:31 am
@NettieK,
The Loddon is sodden? Glad you're past the worst.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 04:44 pm

It seems so extreme. We hear about the droughts, then bush fires, now this. Is there any way you could keep some of the water for later?
Just a thought.
hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 04:53 pm
@McTag,
I blame our three tiers of government - makes organising things so difficult, you think just once they'd arrange a flood to arrive during a bushfire! Privatise it!
Dutchy

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:19 pm
@McTag,
McTag you're spot on, however our Federal Government hasn't got the brains to harnass all the water which now flows out to sea! Provision should have been made decades ago so the drier southern States could be supplied with plenty of water during the hot and dry summer months. However when you have a country of just on 20 million people being governed by 7 bickering State Governments and 1 inept Federal Government, what can you expect? After all these useless politicians are paid their extraordinary salaries, perks and superannuations there is no money left to be spend on essential infrastructure!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:55 pm
@hingehead,
Just in case you were wondering, I was being facetious and Dutchy is being serious.

Fact is we are the second driest continent with the oldest soils and an incredibly low population density. Moving and storing water outside of natural waterways further damages the environment and makes arable land even less sustainable. We have a massive salination problem in our most productive agricultural area.

We are still transitioning from a European style farm mentality that works in a much more robust environment than we have.

We have some terrible mismanagement issues and some poorly maintained water delivery services (I think about 30% of Sydney's water supply leaks out of pipes before it gets to a tap/faucet) and Dutchy is right that throwing money would help, but it's not the whole solution.

And our pollies aren't paid that well - compare their wages to a CEO, consider the responsibility each bears, the impact on family and friends. To live that life either indicates an amazing sense of public duty or disturbing need for power and attention.
dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:45 pm
@hingehead,
What he said,
0 Replies