THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
(oop, American "pissed"="angry", not Brit ="drunk")
Dutchy

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:50 pm
@msolga,
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6013/larabingle.png
I beg to differ msolga. Laughing Lara Bingle the cricketer.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
Now that I know what that actually means, MontereyJack, I believe you're right! Very Happy

Quote:
Definition:

Stratigraphy refers to geological and archaeological layers that make up an archaeological deposit. Archaeologists use stratigraphy to better understand the processes that created the site. Charles Lyell's Law of Superposition argued that because of natural depositional processes (and in an undeformed natural sequence), soils found deeply buried will have been laid down earlier"and thence be older"than the soils found on top of them.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/sterms/g/stratigraphy.htm
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:54 pm
@Dutchy,
Hmmmmm ...

I think she's only pretending, Dutchy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
(oop, American "pissed"="angry", not Brit ="drunk")

Oz versions: "pissed off" = very angry/annoyed
"Pissed" = drunk.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:06 pm
@msolga,
LYELL, grrrrrrr. He was a damn malingerer and a plagiarist
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:09 pm
@farmerman,
He was, farmer? Surprised

Heck, all I did was Google "stratigraphy"!

What terrible thing have I done here?

Please set me straight immediately! Smile
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:17 pm
@msolga,
Lyell gets a lot of credit that others actually came up with, the sumbitch. NICHOLAS STENO is the father of Superposition. He was righteous.

Quote:
Nicolaus Steno (1638-1686) articulated three basic geological principles. In 1669 he wrote the following: At the time when any given stratum was being formed, all matter resting upon it was fluid, and, therefore, at the time when the lowest stratum was being formed, none of the upper strata existed. This little bit of compelling logic is now known as the Law of Superposition: strata as originally deposited are successively younger upward. Steno went on to say that all strata are initially depositied horizontally. This is now known as the Law of Original Horizontality: undisturbed true bedding planes(not cross-bedding) are nearly horizontal. His third astute observation was perhaps the most insightful: Hence it follows that in whatever place the bared sides(edges) of the strata are seen, either a continuation of the same strata must be sought, or another solid substance [i.e. the confines of the basin] must be found which kept the matter of strata from dispersion. This is known as the Law of Concealed Stratification: every outcrop in which the edges of strata are exposed demands an explanation(erosion, folding, volcanism, earthquake, etc.)

Im especially sensitive to Stenos plight as an overlooked genius in geology, and all these damn English diletantes get all the credit because they were busy conquering the world like a bunch of sappy bully kids. ((smack))) thanks.... I....needed....that
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Lyell gets a lot of credit that others actually came up with, the sumbitch. NICHOLAS STENO is the father of Superposition.

Right! What a nerve on Mr Lyle's part! Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Im especially sensitive to Stenos plight as an overlooked genius in geology, and all these damn English diletantes get all the credit because they were busy conquering the world like a bunch of sappy bully kids. ((smack))) thanks.... I....needed....that

My pleasure. Smile

I had no idea this was such a competitive field! Surprised

There you go, I've learned something new on A2K today. The Law of Original Horizontality. Thanks!
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:30 pm
@msolga,
how do you say youre welcome in Australian?
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:34 pm
Ta?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:36 pm
(oop, again) no, that's "thanks", other side of the equation.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:48 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

Ahhhhh, let me see ..?

"No sweat"?

"No worries"?

Help me out here, other Ozzians!

Me, I usually just say "My pleasure!".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yes, "ta" = thanks!

You could say "Ta muchly" if you want to be a bit twee! Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"No worries" is the correct and universially accepted term.
for added emphasis and if you really mean it you might add another "no worries at all mate"
record of conversation.

A; "Thanks for that farmerman"
B; No worries, no worries at all mate.

There are some dialect variatuions
Bogun dialect: no worries= no wuckers
Western Qld: "No worries but"
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:02 pm
@dadpad,
Thank you, dp. I defer to your expertise in this field! Smile
Dutchy

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:11 pm
@msolga,
She's apples mate. Wink
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:13 pm
@Dutchy,
Bewdy, mate! Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:12 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

And why does she look so pissed.

In Oz = pissed off!

Well, I forgot to mention, along with a good looking, high profile fiancé, and the $200,000 ring, she also loses the Aston Martin (which she lost recently when it was stolen, but strangely, recovered quite quickly!), not to mention access to the $6 million apartment on Bondi Beach!

I bet she's angry - perhaps at her own stupidity. There is a rumour that, while Michael was away playing for Australia, she was playing away....
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:18 am
It's been my experience that no one from Oz says, "No worries". What they say is more like, "Naeeow worries".