3 new Da Vinci pieces discovered?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:55 am
Real "Osso buco à la milanaise" certainly is made with veil and not with "young beef" (that's the cheaper variante [because it's beef]). (Actually it's a knuckle of veal/veal shant ['Kalbshaxe' :wink: ], which is used for it.)
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:16 pm
Vivien wrote:
hi wales-rules

did you see the series on Leonardo's life recently on BBC? it was very good, well researched and atmospheric

Vivien, I recently saw a documentary on him. What a fascinating man! People considered him to be somewhat ditzy, almost like an absent minded professor, he had a fantastic sense of humor and was forever curious about things. Although he had a hard time finishing projects, he was almost driven to distraction (i know how that feels Embarrassed )

He was so diverse and multifaceted, what a gifted human.

I would have stood down wind from him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:43 pm
On the ossobuco topic tangent -

whether veal is considered beef or not seems to vary in my google search. I have always understood cattle raised as food to be called beef, and that particularly young beef was called veal - and a few of these links agree with me; others don't:

Beef
Veal
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:43 pm
Well, since in Europe - and especially in the EU - all and everything is normed ... :wink:
(At the butcher's you get here: veal, young beef, beef - the latter is just for cooking :wink: )

Below is the US-definition (from the University of Arkansas - Division of Agriculture

Veal
Meat from a calf that weighs about 150 pounds. Those that are mainly milk-fed usually are less than three months old. The difference between veal and baby beef is based on the color of their meat, which is determined almost entirely by diet. Veal is pale pink and contains more cholesterol than beef.

Baby beef
Baby beef and calf are interchangeable terms used to describe young cattle weighing about 700 pounds that have been raised mainly on milk and grass. The meat cuts from baby beef are smaller; the meat is light red and contains less fat than beef. The fat may have a yellow tint due to the vitamin A in grass

Beef
Meat from cattle (bovine species) other than calves. Meat from calves is called veal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 08:46 pm
So, however you define these words, ossobuco is often a dish made from cattle meat, though not always.

Back to fine art -
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:28 am
Has anyone seen my 3 Davinci paintings? I know they were in my pants pocket a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen them in awhile.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:36 am
Sorry, I took them.I thought theyd go nicely with my Botticellis 'Allegory of Spring'.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
the ossobuco tangent... how many times have you been asked osso?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 12:06 am
Hi, benconservato - several times. I'd punt with the name except I've grown to associate myself with it.

Nice to see you again, I always attend to your posts and am always glad to see you. You have a dry way with words and are always interesting.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:35 pm
Very Happy seconded
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:36 pm
Quote:
Unseen Da Vinci works go on show

Saturday, 15 October 2005

Two previously unseen paintings by Leonardo da Vinci have gone on public display for the first time in Italy.
One is an alternative version of Da Vinci's famous painting known as Virgin of the Rocks, with the infant Jesus and the infant John the Baptist.

The other shows Mary Magdalene, thought to have been completed by Leonardo with the help of one of his pupils about 1515, shortly before his death.

Both are being displayed at Ancona's Mole Vanvitelliana museum.

The semi-naked painting of Mary Magdalene - on a wooden panel - has fascinated critics and has only recently been discovered and authenticated, says the BBC's Rome correspondent, David Willey.

Previously attributed to Da Vinci's pupil Giampietrino it has been in private collections for nearly all its recorded history in the past 100 years.

The Virgin of the Rocks, painted with Giampietrino between 1495 and 1497, has two other versions - one kept at the Louvre in Paris and the other in London's National Gallery.

The latest version was found three years ago in a private Swiss collection, along with the semi-naked portrait of Mary Magdalene.
Unseen for 50 years, the portrait was believed to have been completed by Da Vinci with Giampetrino's help in 1515, four years before the master's death.

Depicting Mary Magdalene holding a veil over her bare breasts, it is one of the master's very few paintings of a nude.
Source

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/entertainment_enl_1129399817/img/1.jpg
Virgin of the Rocks shows Mary sitting in a grotto with Jesus, Saint John and the archangel Uriel. It was Leonardo da Vinci's third version of the painting.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-09/22/xin_46090222174628109561.jpg
Mary Magdalene was thought to have been painted in 1515
[Photo: Reuters]
0 Replies

djdreams

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm
One of daVinci's frescos?
DaVinciTruth
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm
How can you forget about a whole room?

" Hey whats that thing over there with the door"?
"Hmm heres a room we forgot about for 500 years"

Never get an Italian housekeeper
0 Replies