3 new Da Vinci pieces discovered?

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
A friend told me they heard on the news that in Italy they were renovating some building and found a secret room that was hiding 3 new leonardo da vinci pieces. I did a search on the internet and on some news sites but I can't find anything on this. Does anyone know anything about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,888 • Replies: 32
No top replies

material girl

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:39 am
First Ive heard of it and Id love to hear more.Please keep us updated.
Da Vinci Rocks!!!!!
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 07:08 am
Haven't heard of it yet. That would be awesome if it's true.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 07:18 am
There are questions, if frescoes in a Florence convent be the work of Leonardo da Vinci. (It wasn't a secret room, it was just forgotten that this room was there.)

Quote:
Fading frescoes may be Da Vinci's
Leonardo thought to have stayed in Florence convent
Research starts into what would be stunning discovery
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 07:24 am
I wonder if they are using carbon dating to help pin point the time frame.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:08 pm
I haven't read about this for a few weeks, but I seem to remember that Leonardo did live or work in that building or the one next door, which used to be contiguous but was walled off in intervening years. I'll see if I saved more links on that.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:18 pm
Keep this thread alive. I'm extremely interested.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:52 pm
Ok, Merry, we will. I'll go see if I can find more links.

I haven't been in the building, but I've stayed a block away three times - the piazza Santa Santissima Annunziata is right at the tippy top of my favorite piazzas, re beauty and design history.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:21 pm
"Manescalchi speculated that da Vinci had assistants in his workshop and probably used a "secret" corner room for his dissections of human corpses, aimed at improving his understanding of anatomy."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=570&e=1&u=/nm/20050125/sc_nm/arts_italy_davinci_dc

If dissections were performed, it's quite possible there could be multiple DNA traces from the cadavers still present. It might help to prove the existence of a physician-like person occupying the premises at some point.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to let forensic scientists examine the room.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:01 am
bookmark
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:53 am
thank you!
You have given me something which might interest the English class I run! It is a good topic.
Really interesting.
Sorry I have nothing to add of interest really.
0 Replies

gengis

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:33 am
Website with details about Leonardo's frescoes
Hi everybody,
i'm Paolo, the man that have supported researchers studies
with graphic improvements.

I've stopped here on this forum cause i've seen very interested people about this discover, so i'm just subscribed.

I can tell you that the discover is absolutely true and, probably, very important to re-date (maybe) in the future some details about life of Leonardo.

Of course, the research will go on and on.

People really interested in, can visit site: www.graficaeucenter.it
section: Expertise e Pubblicazioni
where can find articles just published on italian arts and scientific magazines.

Sorry but the articles are totally in italian language.
Soon (probably in summer) will be published an english book
that will describe all the steps did to arrive to this important discover.

'NJoy Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:52 am
Thank you, gengis, for finding us here. Welcome to a2k. Some on the site do speak italian and some of us are learning it. Luukas is italian. (There are threads about italy from time to time.)

We'd appreciate hearing about it when the book comes out in english. Please put us on your "interested" list..
0 Replies

gengis

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:01 pm
No problem..
Thank you for answer, ossobuco.

No problem, i'll tell you when something new will happen...

Have you ever been in Florence ?
'cause OSSOBUCO is the name of a typical florentine's dish
made with veal meat.......very strange...(maybe you know this)

Bye to everybody

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:28 pm
I do know about ossobuco, yes, I even cook it once in a while, though with beef, not veal. I had Ossobuco in Modena once.

I picked the name because I like the sound of the word. I didn't understand at the time that I would keep the word I picked as an internet name for a long time...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:57 am
The absolutely best ossobuco I have ever had was not in Italy but on the Big Island of Hawaii, at an inn called Kilauea Lodge in the town of Volcano. And the chef was German!!!
0 Replies

gengis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:17 am
Beef, not veal...
It's incredible..,
i stopped here to explain something about Leonardo da Vinci
and i became involved in food's arguments...!

Ossobuco, you're right; the dish called "ossobuco" is made with beef meat, please forgive my error caused by my unperfect english, too.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:07 am
Hey i heard that too! It was on the news that someone was renovating a building in Rome and found 3 new Da Vinci pieces! I am obsessed with Leonardo at the min, as MATERIAL GIRL will know, I have been intrigued in his work since i began reading the Da Vinci Code. I even booked a holiday so i could go to the Louvre, if anyone can tell me more about these new pieces i would be very happy!!!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:41 am
hi wales-rules

did you see the series on Leonardo's life recently on BBC? it was very good, well researched and atmospheric

- I don't think you'd have wanted to be downwind of him! He wore the same clothes 24 hours a day and didn't even remove his boots for months on end!

and utterly driven by his competitive streak.

Are you enjoying the Da Vinci code? I bought it but haven't read it yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:50 am
Wales_rules, the Leonardo pieces were found in Firenze (Florence). We have an article and some links about it on the first page of this topic...

Gengis, I think ossobuco is made with primarily with veal, which is young beef, in Italy; I just meant that I've used older beef when I've cooked it myself. I've also had it cooked with lamb, but that was in Napa, California, not Italy.

We do tend to veer off topic on a2k. Sometimes the tangents are quite interesting, and we usually do come back to the subject discussion. Going off topic is frowned on more in the topics devoted to politics and philosophy.
0 Replies