Rather, Bush equally disgraced?

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
Quote:
Rather, Bush Equally Disgraced?

When CBS reported this week it was firing four of its top news producers for their role in using a faked military document to claim President Bush evaded National Guard responsibilities, the story made the front page of almost every newspaper in America.
When the White House admitted Wednesday the United States is no longer even looking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the news was buried on inside pages - and not even displayed prominently on those pages.

If I were President Bush, I'd be plenty worried about that.

There's a truism in the news business that if a dog bites a man, that's not newsworthy, but if a man bites a dog. ...

The nation's media, apparently, no longer think it terribly newsworthy that the Iraqi weapons - those same presumed weapons that were cited not only as reasons for going to war but as reasons for going to war immediately - don't exist.

Or, to put it another way, the loss of credibility of Dan Rather and CBS News is more shocking than the loss of credibility of the president of the United States.

Again, if I were president, I'd be worried about that.

I suppose you might make the case that this is just another example of media navel-gazing, that we think anything involving news anchors is more important than anything else going on.

But my mail here at the State Journal reflects the same bias. I received all sorts of e-mails chortling about the discomfort of my "friend" Dan Rather - who wasn't fired but was certainly humiliated by the CBS findings - but almost none about the weapons of mass destruction confession.

Yet the two stories have much in common.

President Bush, like Dan Rather, relied on information provided him by a team of researchers (in the president's case, the CIA; in Rather's, his research team).

The information proved to be wrong. Both Rather and Bush refused to admit they were wrong until outsiders proved otherwise. In fact, I kind of doubt whether either Bush or Rather truly thinks he was wrong even now.

There are some differences, of course. The producer who fed Rather a bill of goods was fired and sent into ignominy. The CIA director who told Bush the existence of those weapons in Iraq was a "slam dunk," was allowed to retire in honor and later received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

And, of course, there is the little matter of the consequences of a war being more disruptive than the consequences of a television report.

But, on the whole, the situations are roughly analogous. We had two leaders, one of the media, the other of a nation, who believed erroneous reports, probably because those reports "confirmed" what they already believed to be true.

As a result, their institutions, CBS News and the United States of America, were humiliated and lost both prestige and public confidence. Yet, Rather's embarrassment seems much more newsworthy than the president's.

Why is that? I expect one reason is that it is too scary to think about the ghastly price so many American men and women have paid because of our decision to go to war.

Nevertheless, when the president next tells us we have to go to war because of "slam dunk" evidence, I wonder if we're going to be as gullible as we were this time.

Wisconsin State Journal :: DAYBREAK :: B1
Saturday, January 15, 2005
William Wineke

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 9
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
Well Coach, when you mix apples and oranges, you get a fruit salad or an article like above.

CBS deliberatly fabricated a story to try to unseat a sitting President.

GW took Intel gathered worldwide, analyzed it, discussed it with world leaders and made an informed decision.

2 very different things. Yet I agree witht he last sentance that the public willneed to be more assured that our intel is more accurate.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
Bush still has a job.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
Our intel was accurate. Don't you guys understand yet? The admin simply ignored the intel that didn't support their case.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Just look at the intel the administration is completely ignoring in making their case that SS is in crisis.

Medicare is in worse crisis than SS.

Amazing sense of delusional priorities this administration has...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
woiyo wrote:
Well Coach, when you mix apples and oranges, you get a fruit salad or an article like above.

CBS deliberatly fabricated a story to try to unseat a sitting President.

GW took Intel gathered worldwide, analyzed it, discussed it with world leaders and made an informed decision.

2 very different things. Yet I agree witht he last sentance that the public willneed to be more assured that our intel is more accurate.

the thing is...bush made a decision then moulded the intel around the decision. As for the counsel of other world leaders that's just a euphemism for learning which nations will rubber stamp him so he can sort out who to ignore......Thousands have died, and billions have been pissed down the drain. We are in our decline as a country as a result of bush IMO....oh had CBS's fabrication only have produced it's intended result.....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:18 pm
"bush made a decision then moulded the intel around the decision. As for the counsel of other world leaders that's just a euphemism for learning which nations will rubber stamp him so he can sort out who to ignore......"

This intel was developed throughout the 90's and substantiated by prior US administrations. So to make a statement as your is wrong.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
Quote:
This intel was developed throughout the 90's and substantiated by prior US administrations. So to make a statement as your is wrong.

You only have their word that this is true. It has already been shown that the Bushco. will say whatever they need to to get their ends accomplished. So perhaps your is the one that is wrong.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:21 pm
the intel perhaps...but any intel of any kind would have been moulded to support bushs' set in stone pre 9/11 dcision to invade Iraq.... or ignored if it didn't support the invasion.....surely even the most partisan bush supporter would admit that......and I realize you do not consider yourself a partisan bush supporter....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

You only have their word that this is true. It has already been shown that the Bushco. will say whatever they need to to get their ends accomplished. So perhaps your is the one that is wrong.

Cycloptichorn

As well as the words of former Pres Clinton and VP Gore. So again, your asertians are not consistant with the facts.
0 Replies