What is Evangelism?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 03:02 am
@TheCobbler,
I don't want to split hairs. People do tend to cite their own spiritual journey as proof of some authority on such matters. It's not, and that's why it's of no interest to me.

The common theme is, I used to believe like you, but now I'm more learned and mature which is why I know you're wrong.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 03:22 am
@izzythepush,
I am not disagreeing with you Izzy. Smile

I have had some pretty unexplained things happen in my life. One day I was in my bathroom thinking about Lysol bathroom spray. I did not have anything electronic or a phone with me and I went into the other room and opened Facebook and there was an advertisement for Lysol. It spooked me to say the least.

I have had people swear they once saw a ghost. I say, "Uhh huh, okay." lol. Smile

They insist, and it is not something I care to argue with them about so I pretend to believe them.

Religious experiences can appear to be more than what they are. Spiritual experiences are often more than what we give them credit for.

I think people tend to overvalue religious experiences and undervalue spiritual experiences.

Sometimes all we can do is cry when we are overwhelmed by that once in a lifetime experience. Sometimes we want more meaning out of an experience so we give it attributes that are purely imagined.

I am open to spiritual and religious experiences but I tend to remain neutral when it comes to religious experiences as a rule.

Religion has a tendency to damage people...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 04:27 am
Some examples of "damaged people" damaging others.

In an age of Trump and Stormy Daniels, evangelical leaders face sex scandals of their own
March 30 2018
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/03/30/in-an-age-of-trump-and-stormy-daniels-evangelical-leaders-face-sex-scandals-of-their-own/?utm_term=.93b4a2188344
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 07:38 am
@izzythepush,
Could you give me an example of parameters I won't Debate
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 01:15 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
Without a designer to decide what the truth is there is no such thing as truth only opinion polls.

That's your definition of truth, and it's unbending. We can't even say something is true without bringing a designer into it. You won't accept the dictionary definition, only your divine one.

Not only does that stifle debate it strays into Humpty Dumpty territory.
brianjakub

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 11:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Re: brianjakub (Post 6624668)
Quote:
Without a designer to decide what the truth is there is no such thing as truth only opinion polls.

izzy:
That's your definition of truth, and it's unbending. We can't even say something is true without bringing a designer into it. You won't accept the dictionary definition, only your divine one
Since I believe in God as the creator of all matter, and all matter is information then, that information must be interpreted to establish what it truly means. The best interpreter of any information is the person who created the information (unless they are a liar or insane). If the creator of the information is not available then expert consensus is the best option in determining the true meaning of information.

Or do you know of a better way?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:49 am
@brianjakub,
Yes, using established dictionary definitions of words.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 02:18 am
@izzythepush,
Then you would agree that Atheists should use expert consensus to determine truth. And people that believe in a Christian God should use Jesus Christ' s interpretation of words when determining truth.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 02:39 am
@brianjakub,
No, I think both groups should use established dictionary definitions. Neither side should allow their own peculiar beliefs to dictate or define the terms of the debate.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 02:41 am
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:

Jesus Christ' s interpretation of words when determining truth.

Considering that most information about Jesus is 3rd 4th hand at best his definitions of words are suspect, even if he did exist.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 02:52 am
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:

And people that believe in a Christian God should use Jesus Christ' s interpretation of words when determining truth.

That doesn't work out in reality. Let's take the way the truth and the light quote.

People, including Christians, don't say, 'Is this the Jesus to Amarillo?' 'I swear to tell the Jesus, the whole Jesus and nothing but the Jesus,' or, 'The Jesus is broken, I need to get a new Jesus from the Jesus shop, this time I'll get a standard Jesus with a dimmer switch.'
brianjakub

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 03:28 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That doesn't work out in reality. Let's take the way the truth and the light quote.

People, including Christians, don't say, 'Is this the Jesus to Amarillo?' 'I swear to tell the Jesus, the whole Jesus and nothing but the Jesus,' or, 'The Jesus is broken, I need to get a new Jesus from the Jesus shop, this time I'll get a standard Jesus with a dimmer switch.'

Quote:
true
troÍžo/Submit
adjective
in accordance with fact or reality.
"a true story"
synonyms: correct, accurate, right, verifiable, in accordance with the facts, what actually/really happened, well documented, the case, so; More
accurate or exact.
"it was a true depiction"
synonyms: accurate, true to life, faithful, telling it like it is, fact-based, realistic, close, lifelike
"a true reflection of life in the 50s"
adverb

In accordance with fact and reality there is a lot of factors involved in all the decisions and actions in your examples.

There are lots of ways to Amarillo and for lots of reasons. Jesus said to use and understand his way when determining God's way to do things.

When you swear to tell the truth in court it is implied that it is the truth according to God and in some cases is done touching a bible.

When Jesus said He was the Light, He meant He will reveal the correct way to interpret a factual depiction of reality using the Holy Spirit to determine the spirit of the information intended by the author.

revelette1

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 09:55 am
I must confess, I really don't know exactly what an Evangelism is. We don't use the term much in my own particular church. (Church of Christ) I just kind of think of them as spreaders of the gospel in religious terms. In political terms I think of them as wrong.

Came across this interesting piece written in 2016 during the Trump campaign.

Why I Left the Right: How Studying Religion Made Me a Liberal (Susie Meister)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 10:50 am
@brianjakub,
Glad to see you're using dictionary definitions.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Does that mean you agree with me now?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:13 pm
@brianjakub,
I agree with you using a dictionary.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:59 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, We're off to a good start then .
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:12 pm
@revelette1,
Evangelism means one thing "biblically"...

It means to bring new people into the church.

By hook or by crook.

It does not imply these people are educated much by the evangelist and they may not even stay long in the church. Just long enough to have some sort of experience enough to err ahem cough, leave a donation.

All the evangelist has to do is give them hope and a false illusion of God.

The world may see evangelism as meaning other things, but biblically, it simply means, adding new souls to the church.

An evangelist really does not need to know the Bible very well, they only need a gimmick or charisma that draws people in. The other church members pick up after that event.

Evangelists spout out scriptures in a sort of memorized way but they have often not tried to really put the whole picture together themselves. They often lack real understanding of them. But they know how to use them to draw others in. Due to their gimmick way of using scriptures they are often not internally convinced themselves. This is why many "fall from grace".

That does not mean an evangelist cannot be a teacher.

Though, new believers (often young people) need a sort of lighthearted introduction and are not yet ready for the advanced matters of the church anyway.

They are "beginners"... where, the deeper matters of the church are often reserved for "advanced" members of the church.

Thus the evangelist does not regularly address the more advanced church doctrines to the general audience.

Teachers address those things. Teachers do not always have the same charisma that evangelists have. They are often dry and less illustrious. They rely more on reason rather than gimmicks and they know the deeper more spiritual meanings of the doctrine. They are much more studied and even more genuine. A good spiritual teacher is a rare thing.

I might add that many of the best teachers eventually leave the church because they study the doctrine to the extent that they begin to see through the validity of the religion. (much like Martin Luther and his thesis)

Evangelists will stay for life because they keep using the same "milk" trickery and never delve into the "meat" of the doctrine and they are also addicted to the prosperity that accompanies the vocation. Evangelists will write many books and they will always end with things like "only God knows" or "it is a mystery of God" or "it is God's will" this is a cop out because they do not understand themselves their own fickle God's inner workings..

So even if they were to doubt the doctrine they will stay because of the lucrative benefits of the charade. Teachers are often not paid as much and remain in the church out of duty.

Evangelists would rather have the kingdoms and riches of the world rather than the respect of a God...

This is why they can be damaging to people who truly trust in them only to find out that these evangelists are "fake"...
revelette1

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 07:12 am
@TheCobbler,
Well, the COC I go to is a bit different than what you are describing. We are not so organized, nor do we pay teachers. We pay our preacher, but I know it is not enough to live on because every one we have had, has had to have a job as well.

I get the feeling you are somewhat cynical of church and it's members. I think the thing to remember is, even church goers are human and individuals. I might be more cynical if I went to a big church like those in town or cities, but through out my lifetime as a Church member, I have only went to small country churches.

Your explanation of what an evangelist is, makes sense. I don't guess we have members who are assigned as evangelist.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 07:44 am
@revelette1,
I think you're a good person Rev, I don't think that's down to Christianity, I think it's down to you.
0 Replies