Measures to handle forum size need to be taken

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:52 am
Oy! Watch the typos multiply. But it's probably a good step to take, Craven. Site has been sluggish.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:14 am
Not only workable, it might be an improvement.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
This has nothing to do with size, but is it possible to get a more up to date spell checker?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 12:36 pm
I can live with that, craven!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
<mumblemumblemumble>

Rats. Now I'm going to have to think before I type.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
msolga wrote:
This has nothing to do with size, but is it possible to get a more up to date spell checker?

Dunno what you mean by "up to date", but the way it works can certainly be improved.

If you have specific qualms with the spell checker posting them might shorten the development time to improve them.

Right now the main downside is that it can't do phonetics and will only make suggestions based on the closest real words to a misspelled word.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
Might i suggest you type your posts on a blank e-mail, spell check and reread it before pasting onto the A2k reply. That should take care of the spell check requirement and eliminate the need in most instances for an edit.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
Good idea, au. I've done that before.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:22 pm
I can't help bragging and patting myself on the back. I've never used spellcheck in my life. And I detest those programs which 'correct' your spelling automatically. My MS Works wordprocessor program does that on select common words and it drives me up a wall. I mean, there are times when you want to spell something in an unorthodox manner. I prefer 'cigaret' to 'cigratte.'
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:26 pm
Not to mention bavk.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
nor cigratte.

Unfortunately, my mind moves a hell of a lot faster than my fingers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:01 pm
Heehee. Sometimes I use Merry Andrewisms in my meat life, to the puzzlement of people.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:20 pm
I am a lousy speller. Always have been, but I think we do need to look at the other side:

NEW YORK - "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino reveals in her memoirs that she is functionally illiterate and had to fake her way through some scripted portions the televised talent show, which she won in 2004.

"You're illiterate to just about everything. You don't want to misspell," Fantasia told ABC's "20/20." "So that, for me, kept me in a box and I didn't, wouldn't come out."

The 21-year-old R&B singer says she's signed record deals and contracts that she didn't read and couldn't understand. But the hardest part, she said, is not being able to read to Zion, her 4-year-old daughter.

"That hurts really bad," she said, adding that she is now learning to read with tutors.

In her memoir, "Life is Not a Fairy Tale," which she dictated to a freelance writer, Fantasia also said she was raped in the ninth grade by a classmate. She says the boy was disciplined, but she blamed herself for the attack.

She dropped out of high school that year and became an unwed mother at 17.

When one has to do an entire research paper anew because of misspelled words. It does make an impression.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:28 pm
I think that I can say, without fear of contrdiction, that Im the worst speller and doing that other **** that makes for good sentences, on this here board.

But even I can change if itll help. Trouble is, to use a dictionary, you sorta have to know how to spell in the fiorst place.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:29 pm
who's Fantasia Barrito? and why are we giving her an additional minute that will show up in a google search?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:33 pm
farmer, I have never in my life watched American Idol, but that revelation made me understand that the paper chase is more than just spelling, buddy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:46 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
msolga wrote:

Dunno what you mean by "up to date", but the way it works can certainly be improved.

If you have specific qualms with the spell checker posting them might shorten the development time to improve them.

Right now the main downside is that it can't do phonetics and will only make suggestions based on the closest real words to a misspelled word.

Well, let's see: It doesn't accept certain apostrophised (is that a word? Confused ) words like I'm, I'd, etc. And sorry, I can't think of an actual example right this minute, but references to certain contemporary people's names, organizations, etc, are often not acknowledged. I'll post back the next time it happens. That might be the best thing, yes?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:48 am
farmerman wrote:
I think that I can say, without fear of contrdiction, that Im the worst speller and doing that other **** that makes for good sentences, on this here board.

W-R-O-N-G!

It's not you, it's me, baby! Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:16 pm
Re: Measures to handle forum size need to be taken
Craven de Kere wrote:
Editing now is only available until someone replies to the post.

Oooh, that sucks. Sad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:36 pm
Re: Measures to handle forum size need to be taken
nimh wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Editing now is only available until someone replies to the post.

Oooh, that sucks. Sad

Mebbe after a little bit of self-inflicted embarrassment, you and I will start to use "Preview" with more consistency Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies