Measures to handle forum size need to be taken

husker

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
How many gigs in size is A2K now?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
Craven- Hey, whatever you need to do to keep the boat afloat, is fine with me.

....................The only problem though, is that I NEVER see my typos, until I submit the page. Then I scramble madly to change my mistakes, before anyone else answers on a thread after me.

I suppose that I will have to be more careful, and make better use of the "preview" feature!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
A thought - another forum I frequent ran into database size problems a few years back. A solution that seems to have worked was archivin' all threads which received no replies over the past 12 months. The threads are still available - by followin' a separate link to the archive - for readin' and reference, they just can't be replied to or searched from the current general forum, and I believe they aren't on the forum's main server. Dunno if that'd be practical - prolly lotsa hassle to set up at first, but mebbe easy enough - if a little labor-intensive - to maintain once in place.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
Thanx for the heads-up, Crave.

Pheonix, remember Abuzz? It had no 'edit' option. My typos were egregious and the word 'bavk' was added to the vocabularies of several posters. So, it's no big deal. One learns to live with one's mistakes, is all.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:12 pm
Quote:
A thought - another forum I frequent ran into database size problems a few years back. A solution that seems to have worked was archivin' all threads which received no replies over the past 12 months. The threads are still available - by followin' a separate link to the archive - for readin' and reference, they just can't be replied to or searched from the current general forum, and I believe they aren't on the forum's main server. Dunno if that'd be practical - prolly lotsa hassle to set up at first, but mebbe easy enough - if a little labor-intensive - to maintain once in place.

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't know how to explain it, Nice job Timber,
If I could be of any help way please let me know.

Also going back through some of the memebers there are folks that have signed up and have not posted, Not sure if this is viable but maybe archive those who signed say maybe 6 months or more and have not posted,

I know I m making this sound easy and I have no idea if it something that could be done, Just a sugeestion,

Either way please feel free if there is anything I can do to help,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:41 pm
Merry Andrew- I sure do remember. Anyone who looked at my posts on Abuzz probably thought that I was some kind of illiterate!! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:44 pm
If the 'new posts' and 'quick reply' options need to go, I'll miss them, but I will survive. Also, if the edit feature is squared down, I'll finally be able to use my true accent, as in "What you on aboot."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:59 pm
I'll miss "New Questions"--but I'll survive.

How about Valentine's Day--put your money where your heart is? I'm willing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 05:59 pm
I'll look forward to your posts then, cav! Laughing

None of the proposed changes will cause great concern to me ... though, as Phoenix said, it's interesting that you only see typos AFTER you've posted! The changes to the "edit" function will probably make me a bit more careful about what I post, so I'll use "preview" & "spellcheck" more often to avoid my embarrassing typos. Embarrassed But I do like the idea of posts being permanent & not able to be retrospectively changed, particularly in political/debating threads.

As soon as I have steady work again <sigh> I will be more than happy to subscribe again. "When" is the question ...

One though: It would be good to be able to remove repeat posts, if discovered well after the event.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:06 pm
4) The new topics page will come down untill it is rewritten.

Does this mean it will return? <says she, hopefully>
I love "new posts" ... the first place I go, after responding to email updates.
It's also a good way to see whose posting, if the "whose online" function goes.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:06 pm
Quote:
One though: It would be good to be able to remove repeat posts, if discovered well after the event.

Another good point, would this help ?
I m sure we could all do our part in keeping an eye out for these,

Maybe even merge a thread if a member post similiar questions ??
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:08 pm
ehBeth mentioned at some point that she usues Google to do A2K searches -- I have done that a few times and does seem to work pretty well. (I use "search" a LOT.)
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:10 pm
Timber, posted my thought. How about just keeping the last thousand posts active for each member.

I would rather donate than lose the edit and quick reply options. How about a poll?

But do what you must.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:57 pm
I don't mind if my list of Your Posts goes away, at least the larger part of them, but I'd hate for the actual old threads to go away in the different forums' histories. Except for the unanswered ones - that doesn't bother me.

I a2k by New Posts, but I can adapt to its loss if need be.

There have been a few times in my a2k history when I have thought better of a post some time later, as telling too much re very personal things re myself or more, my family. For example, I talk about having had a bout of breast cancer now with equanimity, but the event is much in the background at this point. But I did post on it when I was still emotionally bouncing back and forth on it, and then edited it later - I felt too exposed, and also didn't want to be known by that primarily.

I've also posted at length on my niece's young life, and later thought it wasn't my business to post her information in such detail, and gone back and edited the details if not the generality.

I've been glad that once or twice I could cut those kind of posts out when my good sense reoccurred. So, if editing has an end point, I guess I'd still like it if on rare occasions people could ask moderators to cut a post for those kind of reasons, even if it is past whatever time limit is decided on, though I'd understand if the mods decide to not bend a rule like that.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:15 pm
Cdk said New Topics not New Posts. New Topics is on the left side at the top...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:18 pm
For those of us mourning New Topics, using a combination of New Posts and Unanswered Posts works.

You can also scan from forum to forum--tedious, but every so often revealing overlooked treasures.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:52 pm
Oh good. I understood that when I first read his post, then got confused later. Pardon...
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:39 am
I dont know if it will help with the problem, but you could probably scrap the Chat Room. I dont think anyone uses it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:44 am
Instigate wrote:
you could probably scrap the Chat Room. I dont think anyone uses it.

That might well be, but I think, only subscribers really could tell that :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 04:53 am
mac11 wrote:
Cdk said New Topics not New Posts. New Topics is on the left side at the top...

Oh, good! Very Happy I would REALLY miss new posts! New topics does take a lot of space.
0 Replies