Help with occupancy switch wiring.

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 06:00 pm
I've switched out electrical receptacles before but I've never seen this. I'm used to two posts on the side. One wire connects to the top and one on the bottom. When I removed the manual light switch from the wall two wires were on the bottom post. No wire on the top post. What's also throwing me is there is a wire going into the back of the switch. Two things I have never seen. There's one wire on the top of the occupancy switch and one at the bottom. There's also a green wire. Is this manual light switch wired correctly? Like I said I've changed over 10 outlets and never seen it wired this way. Can someone help me install this occupancy switch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 751 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 02:38 pm
@Trucker365,
Holy cow, Truck, even as former inventor and electronics whiz I can't help you. In the first place, frinstance, receptacles and switches in different countries look different. But still it isn't clear whether the gadget you're describing is the switch or the receptacle. I'd lean to switch but then not sure whether it has three wires or just two. A photo might help....
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 02:52 pm
@Trucker365,
Trucker365 wrote:
Like I said I've changed over 10 outlets

Doesn't make you an electrician. Call one.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 02:39 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Call one.
Sitting back, 'one' looks like 'me.' So, Cen in addition to an expert linguist, is also an electrician ! thought I

But it's been at least a week now w/nothing new anywhere, so I supposed something wrong with my pc

Oh Trucker, forgive us, but it's still a kind of vacua time
I had spelt in 'vacda, but that's the only sugg that seemed to fit
...mebbe even better, whatcha think Cen
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 10:50 pm
@Trucker365,
the two most common switches are single pole and three way switches. likely hood its a three way, so you would need to buy a switch for two separate switches, since a three way switch connects to another switch in the house to control the same light .one will be a master occp switch and the other the slave occp switch.
Most importantly you need to mark that top post wire stabbed in the back of the switch with tape. That is your common wire and the bottom two posts are travelers.
the wire in the back is called backstabbing and is a practice used to spend less time on a house. It is the same thing as putting the wire on the screw/post.

trucker if you do have a single pole switch with only two gold screws and a green ground screw then you just pretend the the occupency sensor wires are terminals/screws/posts and wire nut them together green to bare, and the other two are self explainatory.
0 Replies