NYC? What's it like?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:50 am
Joe Nation's suggestion of cheaper places to rent a flat is right on target. Hell's Kitchen, especially, is recommended, as it's only a very few blacks from Times Square, the very heart of the city. "Expensive", of course, is a very relative term. It all depends on how much disposable income you have and on what you are used to spending on your home turf. NY is probably a tad more expensive than most other cities in the USA, but not outrageously so when you look at average costs in San Francisco, Chicago or Boston.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:50 am
Joe- Do you know of a bus that goes from midtown Manhattan to the Bronx Zoo? I once saw a reference to it, but I can't seem to find it.

When I come into Manhattan in the summer, one of the things that I want to do is go to the Bronx Zoo.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:54 am
Take the subway, Phoenix. The B'way-7th Av. line.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:58 am
MA- I would rather not take the subway. I did find the route, though. What had confused me, was that the line was originally a private one that just was taken over by the MTA this year. Here is the schedule, all you zoo lovers:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/bus/schedules/bxm11nxt.pdf
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 08:02 am
Dear God, don't take the bus. Take the number 2 (as MA said) or from the East side of Manhattan, the 5. It's a short walk from the MTA station.

There are busses from the Eastside, I think, I'll look it up, but they will take hours to get there. Sad

Wait. I see you found it.

Joe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 08:10 am
When you get here we will have a race. You get on the bus at Madison and 26th and I'll run over to the number 6 train at Park and 28th (then change to the 5 at Grand Central.)

Last one to the polar bears has to buy lunch at the Museum of Modern Art.

What have you got against the subways, I mean, besides the grime, noise, overcrowding and ...uh.. nevermind.

Joe( Look at the beautiful view of the tunnel! ) Nation
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 08:13 am
Joe- You've got a deal! Very Happy
0 Replies