Bagels, Pizza, Hot Dogs and Race Tracks - New York City?

flyboy804

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:16 pm
General rule for Manhattan Streets- 20 north-south blocks per mile. 5 1/2 east-west numbered blocks per mile (ignore Lexington, Madison and Broadway and consider Park as 4th which it is). CPW, Columbus and Amsterdam are 8th, 9th and 10th where they exist. The east-west rules start breaking down below 14th street.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:26 pm
Ok, I just scaled the walk to the bakery off, and it's 2.8 miles in 40 minutes. 14.25 minutes a mile, no great shakes, but time for looking around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:35 pm
I'm using the map in my guide book, Access, New York City.
I've liked the Access books since I saw the first one, LA Access, back in the early eighties. A fellow named Ricky Saul Wurman started them; they take neighborhoods and pick out various buildings, naming many buildings and what is in them, giving these a number to go with the written description. So, within a given stretch of Madison Ave., from 59th to 84th, there are 47 places highlighted and described, including restaurants, stores, churches, hotels, museums, whatever... you would pass if you walked that street...
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:55 pm
When I was planning my move here, I told my doctor that my new exercise plan was to live in New York. And it's working. I walk every day, most days a lot. At first my hip hurt and my feet hurt and my back hurt.....but one day I noticed that I wasn't hurting any more. So I guess it's working.

Now I'm off to the Waldorf for a cocktail party. Be back later.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 05:56 pm
I think people in 'real' cities walk more. Part of it is the good public transit - so you walk to the transit and back. The other thing is that you can actually get to places when you walk. I can walk to hair salons, beer stores, coffee shops, corner stores, a big grocery store, 5 good dog-walking parks, a thai restaurant, a nail salon, a dry cleaner, a buncha restaurants without really going much past either end of my street. Then once I've reached my initial destination, I see someplace else I want to pop by - the Scottish butcher, the Italian grocery, the pet food store, the funny Chinese-Canajun resto ... the next thing you know, you've really been on a walk.

When I visit Setanta, I've gotta get in the car to get to anything. It was the same when I lived in a smaller community in northern Ontario.

I like walking cities. Must be why I liked NYC and Hamburg when I was a kid.

Now where's Joe Nation with his recommendations? I saw him somewhere ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 05:58 pm
Hey flyboy - thanks for those distance approximations. That really helps!

O.k. - what are the big dance companies in NYC? gotta search
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
bagels, pizza ...
MACY'S is all dressed up awaiting the arrival of ehbeth (also known as the sharpest shopper in town - new york shop keepers : better be prepared !). hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 09:06 pm
Too bad Klein's is gone now..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 09:07 pm
<I agree on the walking in cities, I am much less motivated here in the small town..>
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
Really enjoying this thread and looking forward to hearing all about the GTG.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
ehBeth- NYC Ballet starts an 8 week season at Lincoln Center the last week in April. American Ballet Theater won't start until the end of May. Australian Dance Theater will be at the Joyce Apr 26-May1. The Joyce also has "Complexions" (a company about which I know nothing) May3-8, and "Momix" May 10-29. Momix is a most unusual company. They are similar to the better known Pilobolus and in my opinion equally good. The artistic director, Moses Pendleton, was one of the founders of Pilobolus.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:47 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
ehBeth- NYC Ballet starts an 8 week season at Lincoln Center the last week in April. American Ballet Theater won't start until the end of May. Australian Dance Theater will be at the Joyce Apr 26-May1. The Joyce also has "Complexions" (a company about which I know nothing) May3-8, and "Momix" May 10-29. Momix is a most unusual company. They are similar to the better known Pilobolus and in my opinion equally good. The artistic director, Moses Pendleton, was one of the founders of Pilobolus.

So how come we haven't seen you at any of our meets, Flyboy? We have lots of fun.

Are you in the Air Force?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:50 pm
Click here for:

Dance programs at Symphony Space

Symphony Space is a converted movie theater that's now a performing arts space on the Upper West Side (Broadway and 95th Street). They do an eclectic mix of programming - I've just given you a link to their dance programs, because you asked about dance, but from that page you can link to their music, theater, film, etc. programs.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:14 pm
bree wrote:
Click here for:

Dance programs at Symphony Space

Symphony Space is a converted movie theater that's now a performing arts space on the Upper West Side (Broadway and 95th Street). They do an eclectic mix of programming - I've just given you a link to their dance programs, because you asked about dance, but from that page you can link to their music, theater, film, etc. programs.

Bree...same question I asked Flyboy?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:21 pm
Frank: This is the first I've heard about any meets -- can you tell me more? (I assume you weren't asking if I'm in the Air Force.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:32 pm
With all these New Yorkers about, can anyone tell me about the area in
the vicinity of "The Rockefeller University"? It's on York Avenue, between
62nd and 68th Streets.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
bree wrote:
Frank: This is the first I've heard about any meets -- can you tell me more? (I assume you weren't asking if I'm in the Air Force.)

No...not the Air Force question for you. :wink:

Well...Joe Nation; Blatham; Kickycan; the Prince; Lola; me...we get together for a dinner...or a drink from time to time. Dyslexia, Diane, Dagmaraka have all joined us.

I'll keep you in mind for the next time we meet (probably won't be until April when ehBeth comes into town...and maybe you can meet up with us.

It is a lot of fun meeting people from the forum.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:51 pm
Sounds good, Frank!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:59 pm
And Osso's met a2kers in NY too; I almost emailed you, Bree, but was both rushed and confused at the time I was organizing what I was going to do. And - I am sooooooooo sorry I didn't meet Frank and Joe when I was back there, not to mention Kickycan - but that was a couple of years ago and he wasn't on my watch-radar then. Flyboy, if you get a chance, I think you'd enjoy meeting these folks.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 03:18 pm
George, I can answer you quite well, since I live only a few blocks north on York. R.U. is technically a university, but it is still, I believe, primarily a research center (formerly Rockefeller Institute). The immediate area is primarily hospitals(New York Presbyterian, Sloan-Kettering, Hospital for Special Surgery) and supporting offices, residences for staff and med and nursing students. Aside from a few small stores and delis, it is a mixture of luxury high rises and prewar (1940) five and six story apartment buildings. To the east you have the FDR Drive and the East River. To the west you have First Avenue, which is a continual line of local eateries along with a multitude of national chain eateries (Wendy's, Burger King, etc.)as well as all the support shops that city dwellers need. It's a fifteen minute walk to Central Park and a 40 minute walk to Times Square. You could also take a bus from right outside R.U. to either of those destinations, but it would probably take an extra minute or two. As stated in another current thread, walking is the best way to get around NYC.
0 Replies