Bagels, Pizza, Hot Dogs and Race Tracks - New York City?

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:21 am
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
I'm feeling damn sentimental when I see an episode of Cops or something silly like that (which I wouldn't even have watched in the States, but now all of a sudden it looks like home or something).

Seriously so for me as well. A lot of the TV shows and movies that pop up on the screen are filmed in New York or Vancouver. Oddly, I don't feel all that nostalgic when I see a Vancouver setting but if it is New York, my response is often quite visceral. It's a very special place.
blatham

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:23 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Hey we just spent some time with Bernie and Lola in Portland

I have fallen in love with McTag's wife. But no one can know this.
spendius

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:40 am
@blatham,
Quote:
but if it is New York, my response is often quite visceral. It's a very special place.

It is indeed. Very, very special. Like an infestation of rats.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:10 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
It's a very special place.

It is, isn't it. As soon as I'm at the airport, looking for a New York cabbie, I feel positively thrilled. Love that city.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 10:02 am
@ehBeth,
Part of why I frequent this thread though not always posting is that I'm sentimental about the city from when I was a kid and when I visited in 2003 - it remains a major place in my mind. (Plus I like the posters, but never mind.)
McTag

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:28 pm
@blatham,

Bernie wrote:
I have fallen in love with McTag's wife. But no one can know this.

See that gleam in those shifty little eyes? It's a dead giveaway.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/IMG_3808.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:00 pm
@McTag,
and lookit there - they've co-ordinated their outfits!

Bernie's looking nice and pink these days. Fiona's as lovely as always.
spendius

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Is that Mac's Mrs? She's a lot better looking than Mac and that other stiff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Frugal New York/NYT

36 Hours: New York City / NYT
spendius

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
We will see e.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

http://www.slate.com/id/2168325/nav/tap1/

That's Witold Rybcznski on the proposed designs for making much of governors' island into a park (article has slide show). I've looked at the proposals quickly, n'sure which if any I like, speaking as one who hasn't been there.

Things are happening on the island.

Stopping to smell the island roses while eyeing the bottom line

Quote:
Governors Island, a seven-minute ride from Lower Manhattan, ends its season this weekend with a literal bang. On Friday, the state-city agency running the island, the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation, plans to demolish ten buildings with the closest view to the Statue of Liberty in order to clear 8 more acres of park space for next season.

Leslie Koch, GIPEC's president, said she scheduled the demolition on a day when the island was open to the public and "all the little boys" who relish seeing big machines at work.

Koch said "I was telling this to somebody and he was like 'what about a little 66-year-old boy? Can I come?'"

And she obviously wasn't speaking literally. There apparently is also a "little boy" in the 46-year-old woman who is behind the opening of the long-hidden island to over 100,000 New Yorkers. Koch plans to be right there with the girls and boys watching the destruction.

"I've been treating it like a normal day but I have to change all of my meetings," she said.

[Mayor Bloomberg joined her, island lovers and at least two former island residents to watch the demolition.]

http://downtownexpress.com/de_284/bidhudson.jpg
spendius

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:13 pm
Fiona looks like she's thinking "how on earth did a sweet wee lassie like me end up here?"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 02:28 am

I have put up some pictures of our recent America trip, including meeting Bernie and Lola in Portland, and of you would like to see them they are here:

http://able2know.org/topic/120944-1
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:10 am
@ehBeth,
Shack Attack: Shake Shack UWS Poised to Open Monday (or Sooner)!!

Quote:
October 17, 2008 New York - Shake Shack, a modern day "roadside" burger stand acclaimed for its delicious burgers, hot dogs, frozen custard, beer, wine and more, is thrilled to debut its second location on the Upper West Side of Manhattan! As of Monday, October 20th, the second Shake Shack will officially open. ...The new Shake Shack enjoys a sweet location - across from the American Museum of Natural History and a block from Central Park, at 366 Columbus Avenue, on the northwest corner of 77th Street and Columbus Avenue.

<snip>

Quote:
The Upper West Side menu features all the original Shack favorites, plus a selection of concretes geared towards Shack's new neighborhood: Shacky Road (Chocolate custard, Valrhona chocolate crunchies, marshmallow and almond), Upper West Slide (Vanilla custard, strawberry puree, fresh banana and shortbread cookie), and Natural History "Crunch-stellation" (Vanilla custard, malt, Valrhona chocolate crunchies, caramel and hot fudge), a portion of whose proceeds will support the American Museum of Natural History. ... For the Upper West Side location, a "C-line" will allow guests to fast track their orders for all cold items, including take-away pints of Shake Shack's dense, creamy frozen custard.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 08:20 am
@McTag,
Pigs in lipstick are so now.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/DSC_0335.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 08:54 am
A little more on intimacy with farm animals...

These metal sculptures (a family of pigs) sit on one of the main streets running through Portland's cool and upscale Nob Hill district. I'd not walked down the street for a few weeks and was absolutely delighted to find the recent lipstick addition, as were we all, as was another elderly lady who passed by and burst into laughter just as we first saw it.
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:20 am
@blatham,
Gee- what a sense of humour!! What originality! The place is thrumming with joy and exultation. That Mrs Palin sure has kicked off a veritable fever of creativity.
blatham

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:32 am
@spendius,
Well, get in on it, spendi. There's no reason at all why your contributions here have to retain that vibratory wavelength of a taut sphincter.
spendius

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 09:38 am
@blatham,
It's better than a flopped wavelength of a slack one from the etiquette point of view.
McTag

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 12:45 pm
@spendius,

Oh, sunshiney Spendy is lurking round here too, leaving a feeling you've just stepped in something unpleasant.