what to see in Arizona?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:01 am
neighbours of the hamburgers are travelling to Arizona and California. They sent me an email asking for some input about things to see and do. I really only know a narrow strip from Phoenix to Tucson and then down to Tubac.

Any must see recommendations?

I've told A and J that I'll send them a link to this question if we get some help.

Help!

The request

Quote:
Hi E, Happy New Year! Hope all is well with you.

We are planning a trip to Arizona in late March, early April, also California (A has a cousin in Dana Point, south of LA) about 2 weeks total or so.

Your parents mentioned that you had visited there not too long ago and really enjoyed it.

When you have a moment, could you please fill us in on your impressions, where you stayed, which airline (direct flight?), what sites you would recommend seeing and your overall satisfaction with the area where you stayed.

It seems like a very diverse state and therefore difficult to know which area would give us the best vantage point and proximity to the most places for sightseeing.

We are, of course, interested in the Grand Canyon, Native culture and art, museums, anything with southwest cultural appeal and scenery. We would prefer staying in one place but a couple of spots would be okay also- don't want to be"on the road" the whole time. We don't expect you to plan our trip for us just share your thoughts if you would.

Any input will be appreciated!!

Thanks for your time, A & J.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,623 • Replies: 9
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Scotttsdale (east of Phoenix) is interesting and has
an "old town" section with tons of native art stores and antiques.
Outside of Scottsdale is a typical wild west town (touristy, but still nice to visit).

Phoenix was home to Frank Lloyd Wright. He built several
homes and public buildings of which the Biltmore Hotel is probably the most significant to see.

Sedona is a quaint little town with beautiful red rock formations and a little shop area called Tlaquepaque (named after an art center in Guadalajara) that is just beautiful in its architecture and has a distinct mexican influence.
Sedona is also home to a lot of psychics who believe that the
rock formation is conducive to their abilities. Dto. for painters who get inspired by the beautiful scenery. Sedona is a great place to visit.

Tuscon has a nice mission (Xavier) and an old western town where
most old movies were made.

The Grand Canyon is of course the biggest attraction and
shouldn't be missed, but they know that already.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Thanks, CJane. Is there a better/best/worst approach to the Grand Canyon?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:31 am
Hm, if they want to stay overnight directly at the
Canyon Lodge, they need to make reservations well
in advance.

We stayed in Flagstaff overnight, drove early in the
morning to see the south rim and drove all the way
to the north rim - which is in my point of view more
beautiful. Luckily we got a place in a little lodge
there, but usually they're booked solid too. The lodge
we stayed in was very close to the northern rim,
so we got up at 5 am and waited for the sun rise there -
it was breathtaking.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
Friends of mine took a tent with them and camped
outside the north rim somewhere near the forests.
Upon getting up in the morning, they were surrounded
by a couple of deer. Mr. Green
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 10:41 am
Sunrise is the best part of the day as far as I'm concerned.

My favourite part of my trip to Tucson with the Abuzz/A2K gang was going out to see sunrise over the desert with Piffka. Funnily, a local told us to go to the end of Sunset Drive for the best view - and she was right.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:54 am
How fun, Beth. Don't you wish WE were going back there? Obviously, YOU can tell them about Tucson. As for other parts... here are a few things I know:

First, please tell your friends that it can be very cold in the Grand Canyon area in March, snow is a real possibility and the North rim will be closed until mid-May. For example:

temperature in Grand Canyon, March 15, 2004

The later they can delay their trip to the Canyon, the happier they might be. If they are looking for lodging there and their preferred date is unavailable, it is often possible to find a cancellation. It takes some diligence, but the M.O. is to call every morning at 8am (reservations desk time) to see what is available. The clerks know that some folks will do this and are often helpful. Truly, to wake up and see the canyon as it is hit by morning light is not to be missed. The only way you can do that is by staying there.

Below the canyon towards the west is a place I have always wanted to go. It is remote, it is not open 'til April 1st, but it is said to be life-changingly fabulous.

http://www.kaibab.org/gc/supai/gc_supai.htm

While in the Phoenix area, if they don't care for giant & impersonal hotels, they may be interested in a great little place in Scottsdale where we stayed a couple of years ago... inexpensive, unasssuming, small place, big rooms & cute, run by a gay couple. Hmmm, wonder if I can find it again. The best Mexican food we found (and we looked hard) was at a take-out place across the street.

Going to the Biltmore for breakfast on the patio is wonderful fun. Very posh and not nearly as expensive as going there for dinner. After breakfast it is OK to stroll around the grounds & public lobbies.

Taliesin West is definitely worth a visit. We took the longer tour -- expensive -- but it was great to see behind the scenes. The mid-morning snack, however, led us to quote from Abraham Lincoln, "If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee." Maybe they're better now. Very Happy

Quote:
Mondays and Thursdays only: 9 am. Cost: $45 per person. (Reservations requested, but not required.) For travelers interested in an in-depth, intimate look at Taliesin West, this exclusive experience is a must. Visitors talk with Wright associates, have mid-morning refreshments in the colorful Taliesin Fellowship dining room, visit all the spots on the Insights Tour--plus walk to the historic Sun Cottage or another unique desert site--all with ample time to take photographs and ask questions.

My mother-in-law was a docent at the Desert Botanical Gardens (the DBG) in Phx, so I have to recommend that place. If they have any interest in the flora (& fauna) of the desert, it is a good place to see & has a great gift shop.

Most visitors to Phoenix know to go to the Heard Museum, one of my favorite spots, but far fewer know about the Pueblo Grande park. That place offers a very interesting education about the original inhabitants of the "Valley of the Sun." Shocking, really, to understand that it used to be a riverine habitat.

Do they golf? Readily available around Phoenix -- the best place used to be "The Boulders" but that could have changed. Are they interested in baseball? I'm pretty sure that spring training will be in full "swing." It is a way to get up-close & personal to baseball stars.

Are they willing to travel very far? Do they love birding? We spent some time at the Ramsey Canyon Preserve & Inn south of Sierra Vista and recommend that, but it is a full day's drive from Phoenix. Some of our best birding was outside the preserve along the river, but the folks there can tell them about that and offer guided trips if they wish. If they are interested in wild west history, Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista (if it is open) was one of the original army cavalry posts.

Quote:
The fascinating history of the U.S. Army in the Southwest, as well as the history of the Southwest itself, unfolds at the Fort Huachuca Historical Museum. Opened in 1960, the museum has grown rapidly and now houses one of the most representative collections in the state. The museum is one of some 500 in the country to be accredited by the American Association of Museums. Its goals have remained unchanged. Simply said, the Fort Huachuca Historical Museum endeavors to bring to the military community and general public a heightened awareness of, and an increased appreciation for, the colorful history of the Southwest and, especially, the prominent part played by the U.S. Army.
The exhibits are instructive, entertaining, and aesthetically satisfying. Some of the U.S. Army manuscripts and documents, dating back as far as 1861, can tell the viewer a great deal about the way of life on a rugged frontier.
The museum, in building 41401, is open to the public without charge. Civilian visitors are welcome. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday and Sunday. A leisurely walk through the museum has proven to be an enriching and stimulating experience for the thousands of guests who visit each month.

There are a few towns to the east of Sierra Vista, (very few) -- but if they go there, they might want to see them. Tombstone is way too touristy for me and I'd give it a miss, but Bisbee supposed to be arty & fun. I remember someone talking about another town there too, also arty, but I can't remember the name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:58 am
That's great, Piffka! A and J seem to be pretty outdoorsy types to me (at least judging by the canoe in their backyard), and up for some adventures.

(now - do you think you could wander over to my NYC thread and give me some clues based on your trip there before the Catskills get-together? <begging>)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 12:22 pm
Found it. The place in Scottsdale we liked was La Hacienda Resort...

Hacienda Resort link

Right in town, quiet & small, a little old but a good, all-suite & inexpensive alternative to a giant resort. If they want big & fancy... it wouldn't do at all.

If they want a great place out of town, the golf resorts in northern Scottsdale (like the Boulders) have condo rentals. My in-laws lived in Rio Verde, so I'm partial to that place.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 12:26 pm
Thanks, Piff. I've sent the link to this thread for A and J, so they can follow along.
0 Replies