moving in the middle of a school year- good or bad?

shortty

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:13 pm
I have been stressing so much in the last little while and wonder if anyone has any advice from personal experience on this.
About a year and half ago my husband and our two kids moved about 2 hours away from our home town due to my husbands work. I have absolutely hated every second here. First reason being my dad is dying of a brain tumor and has very little time left and I have resented very much being so far away from him and second of all I am shy so it has made it very hard to make friends. Its just me and the kids. anyway my husband worked some miracles and was able to get a job back closer to our home town so we could move back. I am so excited but my worries now are that I am hurting my 8 year old by making her switch schools yet again and in the middle of a school year to top it off. My daughter is excited to move back and not at all worried about making new friends but I worry that I am putting too much on her with the new school in the middle of the year. In canada or I should say Ontario as I don't know about other provinces they have this grade 3 testing to determine if your child is learning everything they need to and such and its important stuff, I worry that I will screw that up for her. Am I the only one who has ever moved my kid in the middle of a school year? Am I being a horrible mother for doing this to her?
I have lost so much sleep over this so if anyone has any advice it would be so appreciated. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 995 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:49 pm
Your daughter sees the positive aspects of a move. Listen to her.

You've read the books and as a result, you're trying to be a Good Mother by denying what you really want to do. A united family is more supportive of a young child than back-to-back moves are destructive.

Move--and stop worrying.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:27 pm
I came here all ready to say ack no but moving BACK is a whole 'nother ballgame. And as Noddy says, your daughter's own views on it are important, and if she's gung-how, that means something.

Does your daughter still have friends from a year and a half ago?
0 Replies

shortty

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:28 pm
All our friends and family are there and lots of kids she knew and played with for her first 61/2 years of life. I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to screw her schooling up or something but she reasures me that she will work her butt off to keep up her good grades. Also she is a very outgoing kid so I know socially she will have no problems. maybe I am just looking for something to feel guilty about cause I know my husband and daughter are doing this all for me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:33 pm
(gung-ho, not -how!)

It sounds like a good situation, shortty, and glad that your husband is so thoughtful.

I moved about 6 months ago and in many ways would love to go back; can't imagine how much more I'd want to if all of my friends and family were there.
0 Replies