Do you think AI (artificial intelligence) is something to be feared?

Olivier5

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:38 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where a bomb in a driverless car can be more damaging than a parked one.

Easy: places where you can't park but you can drive by.

In Italy and France, a number of places have no parking allowed precisely to avoid the risk of remotely-controlled car bombs; synagogues and Jewish schools for instance. Get a driveles car-bomb near the intrance at the right time would defeat that security measure.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:53 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think that is somewhat like saying we shouldn't build roads because that could lead to easier car bombing or we shouldn't build cars because that will make horse bombing so much easier. Sometimes we ignore all the potential benefits of something because of a fear that something else might get infinitesimally worse. I'm sure someone will eventually use a driverless car as a car bomb, but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the extremely infrequent car bomb as it is and it's going to be a while before driverless cars are cheap enough for bombers to consider them disposable.

That's a good point overal: every novelty involves a degree of risk. But all I am saying is that the risks should be assessed and compared to the potential benefits. Not every thing new is necessarily a good thing.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:24 pm
Excellent summary of the Tempe accident and a broader perspective on Uber in the WSJ:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ubers-new-ceo-confronts-his-first-crisis-with-driverless-car-death-1521564552
0 Replies