9

Do you think AI (artificial intelligence) is something to be feared?

ehBeth

1  
Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 01:35 pm
@Olivier5,
Interesting as I see driverless cars as being a basic, baby step in the AI world.

So infant AI is perfect for driverless cars Smile

It's been possible for years, but it's hard to get past the $$$ auto manufacturers will lose long-term as people move away from individual car ownership and toward communal driverless vehicles (not just cars).

It's like black boxes in cars. The technology was there for decades before auto manufacturers began to use it regularly - and more years before it became public knowledge.
Olivier5

1  
Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 02:02 pm
@maporsche,
Oh you do. Lives depend on the quality of that code. It's a bit more consequential than a poor google translation.
maporsche

1  
Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 02:09 pm
@Olivier5,
It also significantly easier than language translation.

Seriously...they're actually doing this now. Fully automated cars driving millions of miles.

2  
Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 02:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I see AI as being in its infancy. It's not yet a mature technology IMO.

Your cell phone says otherwise. Are you using Siri?

When you do a Google Search, or talk to your phone, or get advertisements that are tailored to you, you are using AI.

AI is already here. It is mature enough to be a commercial success that is pretty widely accepted in the marketplace.
Brandon9000

0  
Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 05:08 pm
On the other hand, what if machines become smarter and smarter and we become very reliant on them, and then eventually, they become so smart that they decide they are better off without us and eliminate us?

Olivier5

1  
Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 05:31 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I don't talk to Siri. And the ads I get through these magic google algorithms are not the stuff I want.

An interesting take on the subject (short):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=I6sWZMR9OZM&t=32s

Olivier5

1  
Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 03:15 am
@ehBeth,
infant AI is perfect for driverless cars 

... in toddler parks, yes?

0  
Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 08:50 am
@ehBeth,
AI has been around since the mid 1950s. The term "infant AI" makes as much sense as "infant white-out" (white-out was invented in 1953). AI technology was invented about the same time the TV remotes were invented.

Since that time we have used AI for image processing (since the 1960s) and Avionics (since the 1970s) for speech recognition (since the 1970s) and for internet search (since the 1980s).

Artificial Intelligence is not a new technology.

2  
Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 08:58 am
@maxdancona,
I think the problem in this discussion is that people are confusing Artificial Intelligence with Artificial Sentience.

Artificial Intelligence is a technology that has been around for 65 years. It is used now in everything from Internet Search to popping up those little circles around faces on your camera to flying military fighter jets. Artificial Intelligence is not magic. It is math and engineering. You can go to college and learn about it. The field is steadily advancing... but the basic techniques have been around for decades.

Artificial sentience (the idea that a computer can have a will of its own, or an understanding of its existence outside of that programmed by humans). In my opinion, we a very long way off from artificial sentience. Some people are claiming it it imminent... but there are no peer reviewed papers on how to reach this point. No one has a viable design. At this point it is science fiction.

ehBeth

1  
Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2017 05:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
an engineering prof of mine was working on a concept like that 40+ years ago. there's obviously much better technology available to make it happen now

holiday season so I had a chance to catch up with news from my old school

Beyond Driven

interesting stuff related to the recent discussion

__

from one of the links at that page

https://uwaterloo.ca/stories/take-look-under-hood-autonomous-car

Simulation allows researchers to intentionally create danger, including crashes, to speed up the learning process, but gaining enough confidence in Autonomoose to actually drive it in autonomous mode on a public road – a quiet, two-kilometre loop in an industrial park – isn’t expected to happen until this fall.

Researchers would be thrilled to build on that milestone, likely to be a first in Canada, by letting the car drive itself to campus through signalled intersections and roundabouts on multi-lane city streets from a test track several kilometres away by the end of the year.

With even more daunting challenges ahead, such as how to train a car to decide between hitting an object that suddenly appears in its path and risking a rear-end collision by slamming on the brakes, Czarnecki is also dubious of the most optimistic time estimates for full commercial automation.

Significant deployment is likely 10 years away

“Realistically, I think that within the next 10 years we will have some significant deployment of these cars on the road,” he says. “What will happen in the shorter term is really difficult to say.”

Despite the tremendous promise of AI, Fischmeister has a fundamental concern: understanding how the computer brains in control of vehicles will respond when confronted with new situations, as they inevitably will be.

As a result, his focus is on developing separate software to monitor those systems and put vehicles into safe mode – stopping or pulling over to the side of the road, for instance – when things seem to be going awry.

“Computers are stupid,” says Fischmeister, also an electrical and computer engineering professor. “They only do what you tell them to do and nothing extra. It’s the same thing for systems that rely solely on learning. At the moment, they only behave based on what they have learned.

“I like technology and I believe learning-based systems are essential for autonomous vehicles, but I point out problems – and I’m curious how people will solve them.”

reading pages like this are about the only time I wish I was 18 or 19 again
Olivier5

1  
Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2017 05:50 pm
@ehBeth,
That's saying what I'm saying: we're not there yet. And to say that we will be there in ten years is in my opinion very optimistic.