AI in Medicine

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 05:04 am
I'm currently studying the topic AI in medicine and wondered if you could all give me your thoughts on the subject.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 921 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:43 am
@rubberduckie2017,
Can you ask a more specific question? That is a very big topic. I have worked in speech recognition and natural language processing for radiology. AI makes these processes quicker and more reliable.

Most people have a science fiction view of AI that probably is not practical.
rubberduckie2017

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 05:07 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks for replying. I am looking into whether people think that AI is beneficial in Medicine or that we should avoid using AI altogether.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 06:57 am
@rubberduckie2017,
Your question is confusing because AI is being used in Medicine right now. And. it is clearly beneficial. I worked on an AI app that used speech recognition (which is AI) to transcribe doctors notes. I did some work on a Natural Language Processing application (which is AI) that could detect and flag errors in notes, including flagging when a prescription didn't look right.

Image Classifiers (which are AI) are already being used in looking at radiology images. And I am pretty sure that other modern medical machines use AI.

I would say that all of these AI-based technologies are beneficial. They make a doctor's job easier, save time and money, prevent mistakes, and possibly find features in a radiology images that will show a disease in a patient.

If you are talking about real AI, as it is being used today, it is clear to me that there are some AI-based technologies are beneficial. You probably could find examples that are not so great. It depends on the technology.

If you are talking about science-fiction, or some futuristic view of AI... I would suggest that HAL 9000 from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey would probably not be beneficial in a medical application.

0 Replies