North Korea sabre rattling matches the US

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:10 am
As the US pronounced N. Korea as part of the Axis of Evil over a year ago the continued sabre rattling on both sides continues to escalate. What appears to be a battle of rancor beteween Bush and the N. Korean government draws lines in the sand that neither party seems willing to back away from. With egos on the line (nukes in the forefront) and the Bush focus on Iraq, international security is the loser. So comes this from the BBC:
Quote:
North Korea has threatened to pull out of the armistice agreement which ended the 1950-53 Korean War, in its latest move to ratchet up tensions with the United States.
An armistice which will insure a complete cessation of hostilities and of all acts of armed force in Korea until a final peaceful settlement is achieved

From the text of the 1953 truce agreement

The armistice, which was signed on 27 July, 1953, is all that technically stands between the North and the US, along with its ally South Korea, resuming the war, as no peace treaty was ever signed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:30 am
Doesn't look too rosy, does it? Bush just keeps digging the hole deeper!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:52 am
hi fup wecome aboard Wink
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:14 pm
Hey Thanks Dyslexia.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:45 pm
Quote:
North Korea has threatened to pull out of the armistice agreement which ended the 1950-53 Korean War, in its latest move to ratchet up tensions with the United States.

What does that mean are they going to attack South Korea? I doubt it. The problem IMO is Bush. He and his administration have inflamed the situation from the moment they took office. North Korea is just responding in kind. The Bully is being stood up to.
I can't help but wonder what would happen if we pulled our troops off the Korean peninsular and let the two Koreas settle their own affair. The reason we got involved in Korea in 1950 was to thwart the domino effect. That reasoning or threat no longer exists. So what is our justification for remaining. In addition it was a UN police action
why not turn it back to them. Let the French, Russians, Germans and Chinese take over the policing duties.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:23 pm
au1929, That's a great idea!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:37 pm
Re: North Korea sabre rattling matches the US
Quote:

I like that the BBC seems to have this one right; the goal of NK is to ratchet up tensions. Now, anyone want to hazard a guess or opinion as to why they want to do that? I'll even give you a few options:

1) They want a war with the US.
2) They want a war with SK.
3) They want nuclear weapons.
4) They are manipulating the situation and playing a game of brinskmanship in an attempt to force the US to make policy and monetary concessions favorable to them.

Feel free to pick more than one or offer your own.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:42 pm
Well, 20-25 nuclear strikes (1-1.5 megaton each) may make Kim sane (if he miraculously remains alive). But I do not think that there will be any need in nuking N. Korea. Defeat of Saddam may immediately intimidate Kim, and he will find more polite ways to beg for financial aid than these he currently tries to implement.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:18 pm
Tres
How about they are responding to a perceived threat from the US.
The Bush administration has made diplomatic blunder after blunder in dealing with Kim . Who,admittedly belongs on a funny farm.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:24 pm
au1929 wrote:
How about they are responding to a perceived threat from the US.

To believe that you would have to believe that they (NK) are unaware of what is going on with Iraq. Is that your contention?

I would in fact argue that you have it exactly backwards... North Korea is doing as they are doing at this time because it is the one time that they are sure they are not threatened by us, because we are already engaged in threatening Iraq. They are gambling that we can not commit troops or resources to force them to do much of anything while we are engaged in working to force Saddam's hand (or attack him, if necessary). It is a fairly safe bet, in the short term.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:39 pm
Tres
Do you remember 'Axis of Evil." Kim is I think he said toad or something like that and I hate him, We will not have discussions with N. Korea. We can fight two wars at once. We are moving more forces into that area. Do those seem like peaceful gestures?
Admittedly at this point he has us by the short hairs since he can see we are backing down. No sanctions, no military action and let's talk. He called our bluff. Who do we have to blame if not our fearless, while in his bunker, leader Bush.
Wouldn't it be great if as in days of yore the leader rode at the head of his troops. Embarrassed
0 Replies