The U.S. is history's greatest good heart

Magus

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
The pom-pom shakers love to make a spectacle of themselves... they are convinced that their little "pat self on back" parties are the "in" thing, and that everyone is held rapt by the performance... Rolling Eyes

Whatever happened to Christian Humility?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
Magus wrote:
The pom-pom shakers love to make a spectacle of themselves... they are convinced that their little "pat self on back" parties are the "in" thing, and that everyone is held rapt by the performance... Rolling Eyes

Whatever happened to Christian Humility?

Put your pom poms away.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:24 pm
The only Pom-poms in evidence are being shaken furiously by the Nationalist Pep Squad.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:24 pm
woiyo wrote:
Yes we are. Yet, we continue our charitible endeavours even though the leaders of the nations asking for our help, do not appreciate our efforts.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050112/1/3psy7.html

I think the following is most likely what has the Indonesian government worried:

Quote:
Western aid winning hearts
By Mark Dodd
January 12, 2005

THE spiritual head of Jemaah Islamiah says he is losing the battle for the hearts and minds of Aceh's tsunami survivors because of the humanitarian assistance from Australian and US military forces.

A spokesman for Abu Bakar Bashir said the Indonesian cleric, who is on trial for terrorism, regarded the relief operations by Australian and US military personnel as a dangerous development, overshadowing the role of the Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI).

"We are suspicious of the presence of foreign soldiers and their show of force and the minimum publicity given to assistance from Arab states," said Fauzan Al Anshari, a spokesman for Bashir's militant Majelis Mujahidin Indonesia group.

"It's dangerous, this idea by Acehnese that US and Australian forces are their guardian angels - more popular than the TNI."

I'm hoping the Indonesian people realize it's the Americans and Australians helping them, and not the terrorists.

Oh...the source is here:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11917718^28477,00.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:37 pm
Quote:
Indonesian minister says welcomes foreign troops
13 Jan 2005

Source: Reuters

BERLIN, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Indonesian Foreign Minister Hassan Wirajuda said on Thursday he welcomed the presence of foreign troops in the country that are helping tsunami relief efforts.

"You can rest assured that we welcome even ... foreign troops. Their presence is based on our request," said Wirajuda, speaking at a press conference with his German counterpart Joschka Fischer in Berlin.

On Wednesday, the Indonesian government said all foreign troops should leave the country by the end of March.

Australia, the United States, Singapore, Malaysia, Germany, China, Spain, Pakistan, Japan and Switzerland all have forces aiding the relief efforts in Aceh on Sumatra island's northern tip.
Source
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:48 pm
The way I was brought up, one does good deeds because it is the right thing to do. If praise is earned, it should come from others, not ourselves.

Why the demand that the rest of the world praise us? Especially when this demand comes from those who approve some of our least likeable deeds around the world...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:01 pm
No one is asking for praise so much as to stop the condemnation.

If all people hear are bad things about a country or a person, others might start to believe it if no one steps up to sing the praises of that country.

I have no problem praising the US for its many actions, just as I have no problem condemning the actions of the US. I just sing the praises a lot louder than the condemnations because I know my voice will be drowned out when it comes to the cacophany of voices already condemning us.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:14 pm
No one is looking for praise in this country. If you recall, the UN Minister was the first to criticize the US and other western nations as being "stingy".

Once the media got hold of the story, it sounded like we were "patting ourselves on the back" when in fact it was defending our charitible endeavours, whcih we should not have had to do.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
With all this talk of generosity and who pledges to give the most everyone has missed the salient point. Pledging is not giving. There has been a decided difference between pledge and delivery in the past. . I would also note that much of the funds pledged were not gifts but loans to be paid back.
I do not have the particulars and will leave it to those who are more able than I to dig up the facts.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:42 pm
It seems like Canada has a pretty big heart. They are helping American citizens whose lives are at stake... again.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2004/weinreb121704.htm
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:21 am
ebrown_p wrote:
It seems like Canada has a pretty big heart. They are helping American citizens whose lives are at stake... again.

Well, if this is what Canada wants to be proud of, then by all means, you Canadians should sing it from the rooftops...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:30 am
ebrown_p wrote:

They absolutley do have a big heart. Those Americans who do not have the courage to defend this Nation should move to Canada and live with them. The Canadians know that so long as big brother to the South is alive, they have no reason to fight for their freedom. We will always defend Canada.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
Quote:
courage to defend this Nation

Quote:
reason to fight for their freedom

You are very funny woiyo.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:49 am
This is not the thread for this discussion. If you guys would like to discuss Canada please do so in a different thread.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:59 am
BM

No it doesn't stand for book mark.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:02 am
The thread is about whether the US is the greatest good heart. That wording automatically invokes a comparison with other countries.

I think Canada has a pretty good shot at the title. They provide healthcare to their poor and don't execute their own citizens.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
Canada is great for Canadians, but not much use to anyone else. I'm sorry, but that limits the size of the Canadian heart.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:27 am
I don't normally do this...but McG is missing the most important factor of foreign aid:remittances

http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2003/10/remittance_fact.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Immigration and remittances are the most effective welfare programs ever devised. Anyone who claims to speak for the world's poor should embrace them. Here are some relevant facts:

1. Total remittances around the world are now about $80 billion a year, twice the amount of so-called "foreign aid," which often goes to corrupt governments, not poor citizens.

2. Remittances are now ten times the amount of net private capital flows, after adjusting for profit repatriation and interest payments.

3. Mexicans working in the United States send back home $20 billion every year. This sum is twice the value of Mexico's agricultural exports, and over a third more than tourist revenue.

All the figures are from the November/December issue of Foreign Policy, not yet on-line.

My take: There is altogether too much talk about the United States being ungenerous with foreign aid. We show up as 21st in the rankings, in per capita terms, according to one estimate. These figures neglect remittances, where the U.S. is a very clear first with $28.4 billion a year sent to other countries. The bottom line: when it comes to other nations, the United States is the most generous country in the world.

Are you interested in the rest of the top ten, for remittances? Saudi Arabia, with $15.1 billion a year, is a clear number two. Then you have Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Israel, Italy, and Japan. The Scandinavian nations receive so much kudos for their high foreign aid per capita, but when it comes to remittances, even tiny Luxembourg, population 437,389, beats them out.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
Canada is great for Canadians, but not much use to anyone else. I'm sorry, but that limits the size of the Canadian heart.

Well, there is plenty of information on the web regarding Canada's contributions in and to the world. We may not be much use to the US, as it appears the prevailing opinion beneath the 49th reveals that because America would defend us in the (highly unlikely) event of war or crisis, that we are somehow indebted to said nation--a lap dog of sorts.

Sorry McG...just because military size and involvement characterizes and epitomizes America's existence and inherent, or self-perceived value to the world, does not in fact make it so.

We are different countries with different mandates as nations...with clearly similar opinions of one another:

Quote:
not much use to anyone else

Just a matter of perspective and priority.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
candidone1 wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Well, there is plenty of information on the web regarding Canada's contributions in and to the world. We may not be much use to the US, as it appears the prevailing opinion beneath the 49th reveals that because America would defend us in the (highly unlikely) event of war or crisis, that we are somehow indebted to said nation--a lap dog of sorts.

Sorry McG...just because military size and involvement characterizes and epitomizes America's existence and inherent, or self-perceived value to the world, does not in fact make it so.

We are different countries with different mandates as nations...with clearly similar opinions of one another:

Quote:
not much use to anyone else

Just a matter of perspective and priority.

Yes, I read about all the timely Canadian relief efforts in Africa all the time. I know the UN has a firm reliance on Canadian peacekeepers in countries like Bosnia, Afghanistan, Sudan, Ivory Coast, etc.

Why just this past month I read a lot about the Canadian disaster relief agency being Johnny on the spot after the tsunami. Once you add in all the vast sums of money Canada gives and food aid they provide to the world, I can understand why you would believe your home country might indeed be the greatest heart ever.

But this thread is about my country being the greatest. If you'd like to discuss the greatness of Canada, you might want to think of starting a similar thread. In fact, I might just start it for you and then we can carry on this discussion there.
0 Replies