Indonesia to US get out!

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
So - because you do not like the actions of the government, you want to pull out the troops immediately? Nemmind the people they are helping.

I am prolly "picking" on you BPB because I was surprised to see YOU espousing the view that the US should go off in a huff.

I am not thinking you not generous and wonderful about the tsunami.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:49 pm
well ms. buns I'm not doing it so people will think I'm generous and certainly I'm not worried about anyone thinking I'm wonderful Laughing ...and perhaps my reaction was a bit knee jerk...but it's a perfect example of how the majority pays the price for the **** behavior of the minority in charge...that really steams me beyond measure... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

chevy54

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:54 pm
Well argued Au1929! Ignore Dlowan, she is a great lover of Indonesia and will support them no matter what.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:58 pm
Well, Bear, if nobody in government gets the huffs up, the miliatry will prolly have done the job it needed to do by the time it gets out.

Part of the problem is that so much devastation hit Aceh - where the Indonesian military have - doubtless with much brutality (they aren't a "nice" military - as we well know from Irian Jaya and East Timor - which is why it bugs me so much that our military trains them, when they happen to be talking to us) been fighting an insurgency. I doubt they want foreigners seeing much of anything there. They are very wary of letting aid workers out there too.

Also - there IS a real security problem there.

I wasn't thinking you wanted adulation Bear - just letting you know that I don't think you non-tsunami friendly.

I am just irritated by people's huffiness.

Of course, Indonesia itself is very "huffy" too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:59 pm
Typical....we can't get it right. We are either too over bearing or not generous enough. America....land of excess.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
Is everyone forgetting that it is not U.S. troops that have been given a departure date - it is all foreign troops.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:06 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Is everyone forgetting that it is not U.S. troops that have been given a departure date - it is all foreign troops.

that does make a difference....this is one of those time we ALL must swallow our feelings and anger and think about the just regular everyday people and the children IMO........ and this from a bear whose knee jerk reaction this morning was well f*#k 'em.....I mellowed while getting ready for tonight.....but we should take all these government leaders and toss them into the damn pit together....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:07 pm
Yeah - they are - despite having been told that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:13 pm
Piffka wrote:
Quote:
January 12, 2005
LONDON TIMES
Indonesian army accused of executing tsunami victims
By Richard Lloyd Parry in Banda Aceh

Refugees from the tsunami say that two members of the Free Aceh Movement (GAM) and seven unarmed villagers were executed by Indonesian soldiers last week.

The reports came from the village of Lampuuk yesterday, in the Indonesian province of Aceh on the island of Sumatra. The region was devastated by the tsunami waves on Boxing Day.

"They were walking through the forest to collect some motorbikes from the ruins of their homes, when they met TNI [Indonesian National Army] soldiers," said one local, who refused to be named, for fear of reprisals from the TNI.

"The soldiers called them over, made them take off their clothes, and shot them on the spot."

This account and others like it contradict the TNI's claims - repeated yesterday by its spokesman, General Endriartono Sutarto - to be seeking a ceasefire with the rebels.

"For the time being, we are making this offer," he said in Banda Aceh, the provincial capital. "We have to work together to help Aceh."

Baktiar Abdullah, a GAM spokesman in exile, based in Sweden, had welcomed the army's apparent offer of a truce.

"[This] has come a bit late, but still, it is something that is positive and good," said Mr Abdullah.

"All attempts to create a peaceful environment are welcome. We hope they will keep their promise and honor the ceasefire."

Acehnese freedom fighters have struggled for decades to win independence, first from the occupying Dutch and, since the Second World War, from the Republic of Indonesia. The province is rich in oil and natural gas, but many people remain poor, and resent the economic dominance of Indonesians from the central island of Java.

After intermittent attempts to raise a rebellion, GAM coalesced as a serious military force in the 1990s, and remains at large in the mountainous jungles of the province despite brutal counteroffensives by the TNI.

Both sides have been accused by independent aid agencies of atrocities. The army is accused of terrorising villagers suspected of supplying the rebels, and murdering Indonesian human rights workers. Elements of GAM, in turn, are said to deal in marijuana, and to extort money and supplies.

The Indonesians launched a new offensive against GAM and declared martial law after the collapse of peace talks in Tokyo in 2003.

GAM negotiators at the talks were arrested as they returned to Aceh. A number of them drowned in their cells when the tsunami inundated Banda Aceh's prison on Boxing Day.

Before the December 26 tsunami, Indonesia had sealed off Aceh to outsiders while it conducted a major military offensive to crush separatists locked in a long-running independence struggle. The conflict was temporarily suspended while Aceh province reeled from the disaster, in which more than 106,000 Indonesians died.

But for the past week, military officers have repeatedly insinuated that GAM is infiltrating refugee camps and represents a threat to the thousands of foreigners who have descended on Aceh since the Boxing Day earthquake and tsunami.

The army has offered no evidence for its claims. The Government is nonetheless forcing foreign aid missions and journalists to register with authorities and be accompanied by the military if they travel outside outside the cities of Banda Aceh in the north and Meulaboh along the west coast.

Yusuf Kalla, Indonesia's Vice-President, said that foreign troops bringing help should leave within three months, and has insisted on stationing Indonesian soldiers on foreign ships and aircrafts.
"We are trying to safeguard the safety of all of you. We don't want any of you to be hurt by irresponsible GAM members," Alwi Shihab, the Welfare Minister, told reporters in Banda Aceh.

Aid agencies have expressed concern over the restrictions. Pete Sweetnam, team leader for non-governmental group Mercy Corps in Meulaboh, said that the orders "may have an effect on our operation", adding that "complete humanitarian access is the ideal".
The United Nations co-ordinator for Aceh, Joel Boutroue, said that he did not believe there was a threat from the rebels, adding that although his organisation had no objection to the measures, it was clear security was not the only goal.

Indonesian officials also said Wednesday they may reject some of the millions of dollars of aid pledged for the country as commitments may prove too costly to administer or repay.

Not sure anyone can ascribe good motives to the Indonesian goverment.

Indonesian governments have just struggled out of a period of disgusting oppressiveness and monumental corruption - (I doubt the corruption is changing!!). There is currently an attempt to get some sort of real democracy going in Indonesia. It is fragile and fledgling.

Look people - I am not trying to say the Indonesian government is good and wonderful in this. I am merely trying to point out that their reaction is understandable given their history and current challenges, and to point out how silly it is to get all huffy and childish.

And - the US is NOT SINGLED OUT IN THIS!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
.but we should take all these government leaders and toss them into the damn pit together....

With wild boars?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:34 pm
I wonder if the poor and those hurt most by the disaster feel this way. That is who (I hope) we are trying to help. I have heard that many of these countries have corrupt governments and could (if permitted) use this money for themselves rather than help those hurt or even to help rebuild.

I wonder also if the governments are concerned that the US and other countries may use their influence and power under these circumstances. Maybe they are concerned about losing control.

I did start to think the same way bear, but then I thought is it the people who live there saying this? Do they not want our help? Those that need it the most? Or is it the government being selfish? I wonder if the children appreciate our help as they seem to be the most affected.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:41 pm
Yes, the aid is needed and we have to stay and help the people.

But, I must ask, if the US had a major catastrophe that wiped out a large section of the east coast, would we tell Russian ships they weren't welcome? Would we allow people from all over the world to come on shore without registration or any record of who they are just because they say they are here to help? Allow them to stay as long as they decided they needed to?

I think if we turned it around and looked at we might see where the Indonesian government is coming from.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:45 pm
so true...just turn it around
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 06:20 pm
I understand that the Indonesian Goverment wants to keep a tight control on the people who are coming in... nobody has complained about that. From what I've read, all of the relief people did have to register as well as they could, all the while that the Indonesian government was slow to react. Having to re-register all your movements is something different, especially when the transportation and communications infrastructure is so broken. It wasn't until foreign military helicoptors started relaying supplies that some victims got any help at all, and so, yes, to me it does seem more than a little annoying that in the midst of so much work to be done, Jakarta is telling them to get out as soon as possible, not just setting a three-month time-line.

Quote:

from the Independent http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/story.jsp?story=600261

Clive Williams, an Australian National University defence expert, said the Indonesians wanted to keep close scrutiny of the foreigners to conceal military abuses and corruption, not because of rebel danger.

"The big problem with dealing with TNI [the Indonesian military] in Aceh is that they're involved in a lot of corruption there and the reason I think they don't want people to go to some areas is because they're involved in human rights abuses in those areas," Mr Williams said. "Having martial law then civil emergency has allowed them to get away with a lot."

I suspect that the Indonesian government may be headed down in the same way that Fbaezer said the Mexican government lost power when it couldn't respond to the Mexico City earthquake. It is one thing to be a despotic government, totally another to be an unqualified, impotent one.

Quote:
(also from The Independent)
But Jakarta has made clear it wants outside involvement in the area to end as soon as possible. Local NGOs have accused the military of trying to cover up evidence of widespread human rights abuses.

There is mounting concern in the Indonesian military that the international community could link the relief effort to a resolution of the decades-long conflict with GAM, which is demanding a separate homeland on the northern tip of Sumatra island. Similar international pressure resulted in a vote for independence in East Timor.

I'm not thrilled that the Indonesian government is trying to keep that small devastated area as isolated and under control as possible. I don't like repressive governments.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:32 pm
panzade wrote:
so true...just turn it around

Strange thing to say given your avatar! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:46 pm
I was just going to say, "Panz, do not turn it around."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:51 pm
Hold on to your hats folks, I agree with Dlowan. Shocked The Indonesian Government can kiss my a$$, but they have zero to do with why we're there. Let them run there mouths if they think that's just. Meanwhile, we'll just continue proving what we're really about and doing the work that needs to be done. I do reserve the option to suggest that if they push too hard, we push back... and whatever we do, we don't turn over funds the bastards.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:01 pm
(Fainting!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:20 pm
squinney wrote:
Yes, the aid is needed and we have to stay and help the people.

But, I must ask, if the US had a major catastrophe that wiped out a large section of the east coast, would we tell Russian ships they weren't welcome? Would we allow people from all over the world to come on shore without registration or any record of who they are just because they say they are here to help? Allow them to stay as long as they decided they needed to?

I think if we turned it around and looked at we might see where the Indonesian government is coming from.

Excellent point - one I got too tired to make.

I think allowing foreign military in is always a difficult thing for a nation which does not see the militaries in question as firm and trusted allies - and neither Oz nor the US are in that category for Indonesians.

With Aceh in insurgency, and the Oz military just pulling out of East Timor, this is especially so. (Oz and Indonesia actually fought each other in the sixties - when we supported the newly formed Federation of Malaysia against Indonesian "confrontation". Neither side has forgotten this - nor the Indonesian take-over of Irian Jaya - formerly West Papua. The Indonesians are still brutalising any Irian Jaya folk who are against their rule - which Indonesia sees as simply re-asserting its sovereignty.)

You see, Indonesia feels always under threat of disintegrating - think of the Turkish attitude to a separate Kurdish state for another example, and Papua Nugini's recent civil war - (a good historical example of countries reacting similarly to threats of splitting is your own Civil War) and they will fight hard to remain a single country. They see the East Timor thing as the west (especially Oz) trying to split their country.

I have absolutely no doubt that they have a great deal to hide in Aceh.

But I DO have an understanding of their attitude, which I think some here are being very obtuse about, and not, as Squinney has said, performing the simple act of thinking about the shoe being on the other foot.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:22 pm
Yah sure. But those militaries are making a big difference, Bill. Meaning, the rest of the people involved have that much more to do, or less will get done, to the detriment of the people we most want to help. Hopefully, by the time of the pullout, the situation will be past the crisis stage. Who knows, the UN might even have itself organized and ready to swing into action by then.
0 Replies