Lightbulb stuck or twisted in socket

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 11:10 am
I have a lightbulb that’s stuck and twisted in the socket. It seems really jammed in there. The bulb isnt broken and I’ve tried a removing it but haven’t been successful.
I uploaded a picture to give you a better idea.
Thanks!!
http://i65.tinypic.com/2u9tie9.jpg

centrox

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 12:38 pm
If it's jammed because of cross-threading, you'll probably have to switch the power off, break the glass into a cloth or something, and seize the base with pliers. Wear tough work gloves. That would sacrifice the bulb. Bulbs are cheap. if that does not work, you may have to remove the lampholder. With the power off. If you are not 100% confident with electricity, get an electrician.

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 12:40 pm
@kellabella83 ,
EDIT Smile

I ALSO suggest you turn off at the mains and be prepared to break the bulb and use pliers. You may need to replace the socket if damaged.
centrox

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 12:46 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
I ALSO suggest you turn off at the mains

This is important. Not just at the light switch. At the main switch for the house.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2017 03:51 pm
@centrox,
If you break the bulb, there is also a trick which I have used successfully. Cut a potato in half, and then, carefully, push it into the socket and the base of the now shattered light bulb. Then turn the potato as you would a bulb. This will avoid the problem of using pliers to attempt to remove the base of the bulb.

As has already been noed: SHUT DOWN THE MAIN POWER DROP FOR THE HOUSE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
kellabella83

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2017 02:16 pm
Thanks does anyone have advice on the easiest/safest way to break the lightbulb?
centrox

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2017 02:33 pm
@kellabella83 ,
kellabella83 wrote:
Thanks does anyone have advice on the easiest/safest way to break the lightbulb?

Wrap it in a cloth and strike not too hard through the cloth with a small hammer or other metal tool. Keep the glass pieces in the cloth. Wear tough gloves. Wear safety goggles. Wrap glass pieces in plenty of newspaper and put in trash.
0 Replies

nitinziw

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2018 04:21 am
@Setanta,
Thanks! I found my solution here.
0 Replies

ELC101Am

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2018 05:07 am
@kellabella83 ,
Get some work gloves and break that bulb. Might have to replace the socket if broken.
0 Replies