Hey, a2k'ers in Albuqueruqe.....

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:00 am
I need some help. Well.. my mom needs the help, and I need the help helping my mom.. hehe

My brother is 18. He was diagnosed with schitzophrenia about a year ago . Anyone who is familiar with this disease knows how hard it is to live with someone who has this.
My brother has been in alot of trouble. Drugs, theft... you name it. And he is now sitting in jail. The charges that he is facing are not too bad.. meaning, he will be out VERY soon with a small slap on the wrist.

For my poor mother,this has been awful. She has watched my brother sink deeper into this disease to the point where he isnt the same person anymore. Obviously.. he is in jail. Before this diagnosis, and before it started he was never like this.

So, long story short, my mother needs help in finding permanent housing/assistance/care for him. NOT A MENTAL WARD. She is aware of memorial hospital and a few other places that offer transition into a nut-ward so to speak and she wont do that. I dont blame her.

What I am looking for , for my brother , is places like we have here in austin. Here in austin, there are a few places where people who draw SSI checks can check in to a facility that owns aptartment buildings. After a small ( maybe a months) time in thier introductory phase, these clients can rent out apartmenst for small amounts of money a month. The facility provides or HELPS provide transportation to and form work, dr appointments etc. They have nurses that ,on request will drop into the apt at least once a week or once a day if requested.
Basically . these places , how ever structured, offer independace, yet give a safety net for people like my brother.
I want to help my mom find these places for my brother in or around Albuquerque.

Any help is tremendiously appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
I'd suggest starting with the NM Department of Rehabilitation for resources.

http://www.dvrgetsjobs.com/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
This looks like it could be useful:

http://www.themindinstitute.org/index.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:41 am
Quote:
9. ALBUQUERQUE JOURNAL, November 29, 2002

[Editor's Note: And mental health courts must work - why else are new ones being created with ever greater frequency? One of the more recent ones is in Albuquerque, New Mexico.]

Editorial

MENTAL HEALTH COURT IS A WELCOME ADDITION

For more than two years, Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court officials have talked about developing a program to keep mentally ill defendants out of court and, in the end, out of jail.

The concept has come to fruition with Metro Court judges voting to form a mental health court that will begin taking cases next month. Judge Kevin Fitzwater spearheaded the effort and volunteered to take on extra cases to make it happen. Up to one-third of the misdemeanor cases in Metro Court involve people with mental health issues. "The court system and the jail system ... (have) become a big mental health hospital," Fitzwater told a reporter. "If we can identify people with these issues early and get them in touch with the services they need, ... our entire system could begin to run more smoothly."

If all goes well, devoting a court to mental health issues will provide an alternative to locking up defendants unnecessarily, saving taxpayers money and putting a stop to the "revolving door" that results when defendants are deemed unfit for trial, then repeat their crimes. Typically, the crimes involve public drinking, criminal trespass or being a public nuisance.

The new specialty court dovetails with the Albuquerque Police Department's Crisis Intervention Team. The team was started in 1996 after it became evident the number of mentally ill people on the streets was gradually increasing as institutions downsized or closed, and as managed care shortened or eliminated in-patient psychiatric stays. Mental illness was becoming a major component of APD calls.

In 2000, CIT officers took 3,147 calls, but only 180 were arrested and charged with crimes, according to APD.

The mental health court is another innovative way to help the mentally ill, a welcome alternative to pushing them unnecessarily through the overloaded court system and into crowded jails.

http://www.namiscc.org/News/2003/Newsletters/Spring/TAC-April4-2003.htm#9.%20ALBUQUERQUE%20JOURNAL,%20November%2029,%202002
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:46 am
http://www.uwcnm.org/information/mentalhealth.htm

Scroll to the bottom for resources -- lots of 'em.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
This is the one that I'd say looks most promising from the list of resources just above:

Albuquerque Alliance for the Mentally Ill (505) 256-0288 

That sounds to me like it's less a medical model -- fix 'em -- than an individual/ advocacy model -- removing barriers, making life as good as possible.

I'll quit now. Good luck!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:03 am
If you don't get what you need, the Albuquerque a2k contingent is:

Bumblebeeboogie
Dyslexia
Diane
Foxfyre
Asherman
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
I sent my mother this thread. HOPEFULLY she can find something of assistance for her.
Thank you Soz. You are always a great help and just so dang wonderful at the research!! ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:38 am
Hope she can find something that helps, shewolfnm.

The DVR one (first link) is the only one off the top of my head, they usually have the best resources and can also maybe help out financially.

Best of luck to all of you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
BBB
I referred this request for info to Asherman last week, who has considerable knowledge re what is available in ABQ.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:17 pm
Shewolf--

Sozobe has set you up with some great possibilities.

I have dealt first-hand with a schizophrenic stepson and second-hand with the schizophrenic nephew of a family friend.

From my experience, I'd say the biggest problem ahead is to get your brother to admit that the diagnosis is true and that he will have to be on medication for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately after a few weeks or months on medication, schizophrenics figure either that they are cured and don't need the medicine--or that they were never "sick" and don't need the medicine.

Does your brother accept his diagnosis?

If not could your mother put the machinery in motion to have the courts mandate that his medicine be in shot form rather than pills?

Your brother has already lost several years of maturing--which he'll have to make up. I'd hate to see him lose any more of his life denying the diagnosis and rejecting the available treatment.

Coping with this mess long distance must be hell. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
No he doesnt admit it at all. As of typical schitzophrenics, he thinks he is enlightened. ( sigh )
I know all to well that they stop thier meds. He has done the same thing. He wont agree to have the evaluations done, he wont agree to meds.. very typical behavior. Very hard to overcome.
My mom has been up and down with this problem. He has been in mental institutions, halfway houses ( geared twords teens) and a few other places. Of course, none helped.
It is hard. As there is part of me who doesnt want to admit this either.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:32 pm
I also am not sure he is being offered meds in jail. I dont think the legal system goes that far in NM ?
i can ask mymother but I am almost positive he isnt recieving any such care.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:48 pm
The links already provided are your best bet. There isn't anything I could add, but my sympathy. I can understand the family's reluctance to committing your brother, but in the end that is probably what will have to be done. In a secure facility he will get the treatment and meds he needs, and will be of no danger to himself or others. Professional treatment is you best hope that the disease can stabilized until a more permanent cure is found. Its frustrating when our loved ones are suffering a serious disease, and we can do nothing for them. Sorry there is so little we can do to help.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:38 pm
shewolf--

The Bystanders of Schizophrenia have incredible stress levels. Unfortunately, 18 means he's an Adult On Paper--and therefore capable of making all sorts of dangerous decisions.

Does he have a lawyer? Even a public defender?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
The public defender he has treats him like a problem for her and not a client. She never talks to my mother, misses court dates etc...
very bad woman for him to have on his side right now. She couldnt BE less interested. Or less personable.
If she had more of a personality, she would go into a coma.
My mother , nor I , am in a position to afford a good attorney at this time. Needless to say... and sad to say... To pay for an attorney who could possibly get him in a program that would benefit him may be a waste of money as he is not ready to comply with alot. An attorney could be able to get him somewhere...... he ( my brother ) would possibly run away and be right back at square one.
He still has the ' im invincible ' mentality. Hard to battle with
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 04:10 pm
Shewolf--

All men are mortal--and your brother is more mortal that Socrates.

In the Public Defender's defense, your brother is an adult and unless he's given permission for your mother to be an active part of his defense, the Public Defender can't ring your other in.

Put him in the lap of the goddess.
0 Replies