microagression

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 11:25 am
My god! Are we making a world of spineless easily offended people? It seems so!

Some stupid examples, you couldn't made them up!

Teacher:: what do they look like? (referring to a picture of Middle Eastern women in hijabs)

Student:: Terrorists.

Teacher:: I was looking for “religious, traditional, or worried.” But yes, that too. Good, Tyler!

I patiently waited after class to ask my professor a question. He then began making sexual comments such as that I made him aware of his age because he could never get with me because I was out of his league. I felt uncomfortable so I left, with my question unanswered. I could not believe that my college professor prioritized his inappropriate comment over my question and ultimately the quality of my education, as I am no longer comfortable going to him for questions.

"The “joking” reaction of various friends, coworkers and bosses when I tell them that I’m hearing-impaired and used to have to wear aids. They then tell me “it’s not like it’s a big deal or anything, it’s not like you’re actually deaf”. Makes me feel like my problems don’t matter."

My white American gay classmate to another fellow classmate, who was an immigrant from Poland. It made me, another immigrant, feel shocked because he himself was ridiculed all the time, and I did not expect him to stoop down to the level of his prejudiced, homophobic peers. It made me feel worried, marginalized, unwelcome, nauseous and rejected.

A meme blog posted a meme saying “If deaf people can’t talk, how do they think?” My sister is deaf. She told one of the moderators about why this was offensive and they took it down, but I read through the notes and was just saddened about how people were like “I always wondered that.” It makes me very upset.

More here:

http://www.microaggressions.com/

How sick this all is! Oeps, sorry I hope I haven't offended anyone! lol
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,102 • Replies: 0
No top replies