The Barter Wall, formerly known as Trump's Border Wall

Sturgis

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 03:30 pm
The Border Wall.
For several weeks (or at least days), I've been wondering about how this will progress with the recent changing of guardianship in the House of Representatives.

I don't believe either side will submit fully to the desires of the other. The President has a desire. The Democrats have a desire too. My personal belief is that there will be a level of good old fashioned bartering wherein both sides get to have bragging rights.

Eventually it will become known as The Barter Wall.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,868 • Replies: 8

livinglava

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 04:00 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

The Border Wall.
For several weeks (or at least days), I've been wondering about how this will progress with the recent changing of guardianship in the House of Representatives.

I don't believe either side will submit fully to the desires of the other. The President has a desire. The Democrats have a desire too. My personal belief is that there will be a level of good old fashioned bartering wherein both sides get to have bragging rights.

Eventually it will become known as The Barter Wall.

I wonder if they would support the wall if there was legalization of cocaine and maybe a pipeline to bring it in.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 05:10 pm
@livinglava,
What does that have to do with The Wall?
livinglava

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 05:31 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

What does that have to do with The Wall?

Dems want more social entitlements like 'universal' healthcare, but presumably they don't want them for non-citizens. They also want more jobs and higher wages, but presumably not for everyone in the world, only US citizens.

So the only real reason they have to oppose a border wall is that it would keep out drugs, because they support legalizing those. Since cannabis is being legalized already in a number of US jurisdictions, and since cocaine is the main drug that is grown south of the border and trafficked north, that would seem to be the main reason they want a black market interface to exist and not be cut off by a wall.

So, presumably, if cocaine would be legalized and piped in through the border wall, they would support the wall, because it is basically just a big fiscal stimulus project, which they generally support.

I think all the humanitarian reasons they're claiming to be against the wall are just excuses because they can't talk about protecting drug trafficking routes.

Obviously if there was a wall, they could still legislate legal migration or even legalize it completely, but I don't think they have any interest in either of those options, really, beyond their most instrumental social-economic interests.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 05:55 pm
@livinglava,
If cocaine were to be legalized or decriminalized, there would be no need for trafficking routes. It would be distributed though normal, legal channels.

Right now 95% of the cocaine imported into the US is transported over water.
livinglava

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 06:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

If cocaine were to be legalized or decriminalized, there would be no need for trafficking routes. It would be distributed though normal, legal channels.

Right now 95% of the cocaine imported into the US is transported over water.

95% of the known cocaine, maybe.

And then why would the Democrats oppose the wall at that point? Because it was Trump's idea?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 08:57 pm
This thread is pointless . . . Mexico is going to pay for it. His Plumpness has said it. Ramen.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 04:19 am
@Setanta,

perhaps the $5 billion check simply got lost in the mail...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 06:52 am
That's it! I'm sure that's it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Barter Wall, formerly known as Trump's Border Wall
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:35:38